Archery Talk Forum banner

is it possible?

954 21
If a turkey comes in strutting and is broadside, is there enough fluff on top of their backs that you could shoot an arrow and just cut feathers off their back without harming them?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Liv4Rut
7,392 Posts
Ive been there and done that. It is possible. The couple times I have done it over the years it seemed the bird just spooked over 50-60 yards and continued about his business strutting. Feathers were everywhere, it looked like I smoked them. As hard as it is, it is best not to shoot a strutting bird if possible.

· Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i'm hoping i can get the 5 days off work for opening season i have tags for public ground, i killed my first bird last year on public third morning out, i used a gun, but am debating what to use this year. i kind of watn to use a bow, but will likely end up using my gun.

· Embrace the suck!
7,994 Posts
You can definitely shoot right through those puffed up back feathers without scratching his skin. Last year I saw a guy shoot a Magnus bullhead right through a broadside tom's fan. It trimmed about 50% of his tail feathers. Hilarious!

· Beer Whisperer
12,132 Posts
Hey I killed that bird last year. LOL Well...maybe 4 or 5 years ago. :smile:

· Registered
3,882 Posts
my brother a few years back did exactly that and shot the top feathers right off a bird in full strut broadside.. he wasnt sure of where to aim and said he hit right where he was aiming. i blame that on me for not helping him with shot placement before we hunted.

that pic above i disagree with where the vitals sit. at least if the red thing is suppose to be the heart... on that shot broadside i would aim level with the beard and straight up the legs where that line would connect. i'd aim at the bottom right part of the purple

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Yup Very much possible.

This year I'm using Magnus Bullheads. I don't care if they're strutting, standing there staring at me, fighting the decoys, whatever. I'm taking the deadliest shot available- the head shot. The bird either dies in the decoys or he lives to tell the story. No more second guessing on where to aim.

· Registered
632 Posts
I shot my first strutting bird last year.....right in the kisser with a Bullhead, takes out the feather equation, lol. :teeth:

· Get out and shoot!
3,807 Posts
my brother a few years back did exactly that and shot the top feathers right off a bird in full strut broadside.. he wasnt sure of where to aim and said he hit right where he was aiming. i blame that on me for not helping him with shot placement before we hunted.

that pic above i disagree with where the vitals sit. at least if the red thing is suppose to be the heart... on that shot broadside i would aim level with the beard and straight up the legs where that line would connect. i'd aim at the bottom right part of the purple
I agree, those vitals look an inch or 2 to far forward and an inch or 2 high.

· Registered
17,332 Posts
Yes it can and will happen. There's not a lot of turkey in all those feathers! LOL!

· Registered
2,556 Posts
I agree, those vitals look an inch or 2 to far forward and an inch or 2 high.
If that bird were standing broadside I think those vitals would be right where they should be.

remember- hit 'em high watch 'em die... hot 'em low watch 'em go...

I still say the head and neck are a larger target than a vital that is difficult to line up on. With that said, we've never lost a bird shot with a fixed blade either.

· Registered
3,882 Posts
these pictures are a bad example and ill give my reasons why...i agree with most of the yellow dots in the above post on shot placement except or the broadside strutter. look at the head on strutter they say put it right where his beard comes out of the chest..i agree with that it gives you a straight line to the vitals. if you shot neck level then you would go above the vitals unless you drilled the neck...but my point is look at the broadside strutter, the yellow dot is level with the neck not where the beard comes out of the bird...if you drew a straight line across it would come out by the neck right? so in reality that shot placement is too high an will hit the spine. ideally i would go about 2 inches lower than the yellow dot on the broadside strutter

think of when you have a dead bird and you are inspecting his vital zones and where they sit. if you lift the wing the vitals sit 1-3 inches behind where the wing joint is at same level. that is the sweet spot put an arrow there on a broadside bird and he wont go far.

one tip i always like to give guys on broadside strutters is make and imaginary circle of the bird minus the tail and wings..if you drew a perfect circle of the bird all puffed out you almost want to aim dead center of circle just a tad forward of center. has worked great for me. when you get a bird down inspect them like a deer it really helps for your next hunts.

then again if you use the bullhead then all my talk goes right out the window anyways. but for guys still body shooting them make sure you study and get it right cuz some of those pics are misleading imo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.