Archery Talk Forum banner

Is it possible..

430 10
to have such a good night of shot execution, while at the same time, posting

one of your lowest scores ?? Score wise, i shot terrible last night. Form and

execution felt great... ( i use form loosely here..... would've scored

better if my form was more consistant )... the best ever. i wasn't struggling

with my release, or wondering if when it was going to go off... it just did.

every shot that missed, i knew it before the arrow hit the target... i knew

it was wrong, and what had caused it. At the end of the round, i felt really

good about me, and i didn't really care about the score at all.

:mg:
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
Maybe if everything was "right" except your score you might need to adjust your sight. An arrow won't hit the same place with proper execution as it does when punching. :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
6,471 Posts
I personally don't care about score... That shows.....As long as I shoot well executed, smooth shots like I was being scored for my form rather than where the arrows hit, they are all X's to me. If you do that, the score will take care of itself.

· Registered
2,380 Posts
I love those days. Feeling like your shooting great. Just not scoring well.
Probably something really basic holding the score back. Sloppy with your anchor - just not holding it tight and consistant. Maybe just not following through well - dropping the bow a bit on the shot. Work on those to basic items and see if you can enjoy a few real nice scores.

· Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hehehehe..:shade:

Prag .. no more punches for me ! ... using an evo+ for few weeks now.. it's

finally starting to come together. i've no inspitations to be a hooter shooter;

but a 300 here and there would be nice ! :) . last night, i just didn't care

about score, as i felt so many things going so right.... except when i did

break form,.... and didn't let down... but , there were no surprises about the

misses. 297-299 is my rutt, and the evo has shown me my irregularities,

and i got a little more work to do...

thank for the responses, it's a contradictory feeling.... " so right yet notttt.. "

heheheee...:darkbeer:

· Registered
345 Posts
I say this with all honesty. . .

I would much rather shoot a round that felt good to me, where I was comfortable with every shot and relaxed and having a great time than one where every shot felt like crap to me but hit an X. Some would disagree, and say that score is the reason why they shoot. But I shoot for the sheer fun and enjoyment of the sport. So feel is much more important than any other factor.

I had a great experience not long ago shooting a Field Round with Dave T. It was simply one of the most enjoyable days on the range I've had to date. . .and it was also one of the most blah score-wise. Every shot I had felt great, I was relaxed and just had a great time (Dave- when ever you are ready to do that again, BTW, just say the word).

I wish every archer could experience that feeling, South-Paaw. Consider yourself blessed for being able to experience Archery for what it truly is. . .Fun.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Well that is a topic that will have differing opinions I'm sure. Especially if the scoreboard is the deciding factor. Which it is most of the time.
Personally I don't know too many people that can lock in their aim on the dot and perform that perfect squeeze unless they are a bench shooter. (which I have been) Shooting tactical,sniper rifles, and pistols, that is the goal; perfect shot execution while considering all variables. Shooting a rifle off hand is very much like what we do with arhery tackle.
Executing the shot from 20m or yards is the same process as 80 or 500yards. At the longer distances your breathing and pace of the trigger squeeze changes.

I know what you're saying, It's nice for that trigger to pop when you are in the process of the shot.
Most of us shooters need to practice the hold and strengthen the muscles that keep us on target which will allow us to execute what we call the perfect shot.

· Registered
345 Posts
. . .I don't know too many people that can lock in their aim on the dot and perform that perfect squeeze. . .Shooting a rifle off hand is very much like what we do with archery tackle . . .Most of us shooters need to practice the hold and strengthen the muscles that keep us on target which will allow us to execute what we call the perfect shot . . .
I agree with you, Mag41vance.

Aside from the obvious- I see little difference fundamentally between some of the basics of shooting a rifle and shooting a bow- other than the muscles required to perform the action- and even then, some of the same are also used in both.

One has to be careful, though. Whenever one tries to draw these similarities (no matter how TOTALLY similar they are), you have to be ready to be openly criticized for comparing the two. I know I have been in the past (here on this forum) and to this day still do not understand the arguements.

You will hear no such criticisms from me, though. . .as I said before- I see many similarities between them and believe that many of the same concepts and best practices that bring comfort and success in shooting rifles and handguns can also be incorporated into Archery for most folks.

· Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mag41 and WDJ.... that's what i'm talkin about...

i.e. my hold on target, has for someunknown reason, is becomming rock
solid... either zero movement, or very-very little... the problem start to occur
when the release finally goes off. if i hold more than 4 seconds or so..
the bottom of bow, cants to the right-just slightly, and enough to cause my misses. even more pronounced at 50 and 60 yrds... and i know it right away and can see it right away.
something is changing, for the better i hope, in my "from"... i've never been
able to hold rock solid before...and right now it seems to be about 50% of
my shots.... the others are good-struggling shots, and " why didn't i let
down and start over" shots.. !! it's been an interesting week, and i have a field round this sunday; i'm hoping for a continuation in my new "enlightenment"....:)

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Mag41 and WDJ.... that's what i'm talkin about...

i.e. my hold on target, has for someunknown reason, is becomming rock
solid... either zero movement, or very-very little... the problem start to occur
when the release finally goes off. if i hold more than 4 seconds or so..
the bottom of bow, cants to the right-just slightly, and enough to cause my misses. even more pronounced at 50 and 60 yrds... and i know it right away and can see it right away.
something is changing, for the better i hope, in my "from"... i've never been
able to hold rock solid before...and right now it seems to be about 50% of
my shots.... the others are good-struggling shots, and " why didn't i let
down and start over" shots.. !! it's been an interesting week, and i have a field round this sunday; i'm hoping for a continuation in my new "enlightenment"....:)
It is amazing the variety of issues that can occur. One thing gets solved another surfaces. That's part of the frustration as well as the lure of archery.
Good luck getting where you hope to be. Shoot well, and enjoy the experience. I need to practice that bit of advice myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.