Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there is a danger involved in climbing up a tree to your stand with your hunting pack on your back. Are you compromising safety by doing this?

·
Registered
28,158 Posts
As long as the pack doesn't have anything inside of it that could cause additional harm or injury if you fell flat on your back while climbing (ie - rattling antlers, binoculars, rangefinder), I seems it should be OK. I don't know what the TSMA recommends for safe climbing but I'm guessing that climbing with a pack on is not recommended.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
It depends I think ...I do it some times ..However, it can get caught on limbs and of course it adds wieght to you.So, the more you carry the harder the climb..From now on I plan on wearing a linman's belt as I go up .That way you are always tied to the tree ..Once you are up you can add a life line from the bottom of the tree to the top .and then just hook on to it going up or down .

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems like many people climb with it on. My pack is big and heavy so I pull it up with rope. I feel safer that way.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I climb with mine on using my climber. It is on on top of my Safety vest so it doesn't interfere with my being connected to the tree all the way up

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
Ive been climbing with my climber wearing my backpack for awhile. I dont see any problems with it. I only pull up my bow with my hoist rope. I had the hoist rope clip break loose before from too much weight and down went my bow.

·
Waiting for opening day
2,337 Posts
I can see no benefit to climbing with one on. It will won't help your balance and it might get snagged on a branch. Just get a second haul rope.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Safer not wearing it ascending or descending.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Its safer to climb wearing it than carrying it in your hand....I can't see why it would be over 20 lbs for just sitting on a stand...

·
Feedn The Geese
12,210 Posts
Ive been climbing with my climber wearing my backpack for awhile. I dont see any problems with it. I only pull up my bow with my hoist rope. I had the hoist rope clip break loose before from too much weight and down went my bow.
i used to try all one rope, then i went to two ropes then i thought one day what the hell, try climbing with it and im back to one rope. only thing i pull up is the bow

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I climb with mine on all my gear is a part of me it moves with me we are all one.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I always pull mine up with a rope.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since some of you say that there is a danger involved in climbing with a pack on, I won't do it....but I still don't like the idea of leaving a rope hanging from the stand (when I'm not in the stand) since it will surely attract attention of other hunters who might be passing close by. I like the idea of the retractable line that clips on to your belt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Heck, I climb with a waist pack and bow/quiver in 1 hand... of course all my stands are 15ft fixed ladder stands. I might use the rope on some of my steeper ladders.

If climbing with a pack makes you uncomfortable don't do it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The danger is in the climb, not with what you have on your back. Climb on a line and you'll never ever have to be concerned about finding the ground inadvertantly. Real simple!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
If you have to ask.... maybe it's best to just put it on a rope. Or you could always make a post to see if it's safe to pull a loaded pack into a treestand with a rope.

Honestly though, if you don't feel safe doing it then don't do it. You are your own boss when it comes to safety. Just use common sense, if you can climb with your pack on then go ahead and climb.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I made a sling for my bow. I climb with my bow on my back and pull my backpack up. Never had a problem either way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts