Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started noticing a slight peep twist so decided to check the DW and it is down 2# from last time I checked it. They are original Mathews Zebra strings/cables on a 2019 Vertix and I don't think there are more than 5000 shots on the bow.

Are these strings really already at the end of their life cycle? Seems short but I really don't have the background to know better. Are there other indicators that string life is nearing the end of the road?

I'd like to go custom I guess but need to make it through turkey season. I've seen people trash the Zebra which is fine but I am a hunter shooting inside 30 yds so take that into consideration.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
I'd have done swapped them. Has nothing to do with being just a hunter or how far you shoot. What does matter is haven a tuned bow that you can trust and about all that comes from the strings and cables

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The arrows are still hitting nice and parallel to each other. Perpendicular fletched, broadhead and bare shaft. Still have good groups so not worried about the hunt or being out of tune. The peep twist is starting to squeeze my sight picture by about 10% so don't want any more than that.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have several bows to keep outfitted so I am not in a rush to be changing strings all the time. But I really take care of them ,and can tie in a peep using several different methods that helps with rotation a little,put an extra twist in them,have even served over rough spots and stuff. I just adjust tune a little along the line as I shoot. Now my two sons...they just use stuff,I have seen them both kill 3 or 4 deer in a year with strings I would be scared to even shoot,I mean like I chew them out about it . I have seen them go ten years or more. But they don't shoot much mostly just hunt.

Years ago with cheaper bows and strings just used the old rubber tubing sight. I don't use them anymore but I never did hate them as much as some people. I always liked that they turned that peep around dead straight every time. Did not matter if you changed altitude or weather conditions or whatever. Just used good tubing and keep it up they worked okay. Little noise and speed loss but not the end of the world for practical hunting use.

Good strings are nice though. Smart to always tell people to use good new strings. But I have seen what goes on in the real world of people who use bows but are not "into archery" so much.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Like they say, “a picture is worth a thousand words”. Without actually seeing what your threads look like, it is hard to comment. Being 2 years old with 5000 shots, they probably have stretched a bit. Put a couple twists in the cable recheck the draw weight again. Also, you can put 1/2 twists in your string to realign the peep.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Started noticing a slight peep twist so decided to check the DW and it is down 2# from last time I checked it. They are original Mathews Zebra strings/cables on a 2019 Vertix and I don't think there are more than 5000 shots on the bow.

Are these strings really already at the end of their life cycle? Seems short but I really don't have the background to know better. Are there other indicators that string life is nearing the end of the road?

I'd like to go custom I guess but need to make it through turkey season. I've seen people trash the Zebra which is fine but I am a hunter shooting inside 30 yds so take that into consideration.
Zebras stretch more than any other strings I've ever used. I can't say for sure without seeing yours, but chances are they just need an extra twist, top and bottom, to realign your peep. Zebras will last ok with proper care, but they'll need to have a few twists added to keep your bow in proper specs. You might as well get your bow back into correct ATA, brace height, cam timing, DW etc, while you're at it. It's easy if you have a press, but I think some archery shops love to sell Zebras, because they know you'll be back in, to periodically pay for getting your bow back to specs, for the life of the string set. There are lots of string materials that cost less, don't stretch and are much lower maintenance than Zebras. When I used to shoot Mathews, I'd always get 1-2 years life with stock Zebras, but then, I do all my own bow maintenance. When it was time to replace them, I'd always pick better, cheaper, low-creep strings.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,795 Posts
if my peep was starting to twist and/or losing poundage i would get a set of custom strings. check your ATA and see if that has changed any

you can get a good set of custom strings for around a 100 bucks. a small price to pay when you come full draw on a turkey and your peep is sideways lol. peep rotation can be frustrating as all get out

·
Registered
24,117 Posts
There is a lot of debate on whether stock strings are worthy of a good bow. Roundly, Mathews with Zebras are trash talked although I have no experience with them. If you have gotten some use and they are going south, it is certainly time to look for a good replacement set. I've been shooting Catfish Customs for the past 6 years and continue to order from Mike because of excellent quality and service. Strings and arrows are NOT where you want to be frugal in an archery setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Zebras stretch more than any other strings I've ever used. I can't say for sure without seeing yours, but chances are they just need an extra twist, top and bottom, to realign your peep. Zebras will last ok with proper care, but they'll need to have a few twists added to keep your bow in proper specs. You might as well get your bow back into correct ATA, brace height, cam timing, DW etc, while you're at it. It's easy if you have a press, but I think some archery shops love to sell Zebras, because they know you'll be back in, to periodically pay for getting your bow back to specs, for the life of the string set. There are lots of string materials that cost less, don't stretch and are much lower maintenance than Zebras. When I used to shoot Mathews, I'd always get 1-2 years life with stock Zebras, but then, I do all my own bow maintenance. When it was time to replace them, I'd always pick better, cheaper, low-creep strings.
This has been my experience exactly with zebra twist strings.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My Mathews had the original Zebra strings on my bow last fall. I noticed the peep twisting a bit and started hitting low after shooting for awhile. Draw weight dropped a bit too. Had the bow shop check them over and couldn't find anything wrong. Decided to wait until indoor league was done to replace them. Big mistake. String snapped at the D loop. Took 8 weeks to get Gas strings to replace the broken ones. If you are thinking there might be a problem, just replace them now.

·
Mark
5,698 Posts
Put good strings and be done with it

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
If you want to put a good set on it about $85 is the best your gonna do. JBK all the way. I doubt the set is gonna blow up on ya unless you got broken strands. Put a Twist on the Cable and your 2# will come back and twist the string once or twice and maybe order a set in the summer before Archery season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts