Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Complaceny Breeds Failure
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are a couple weeks into the Ohio season now. Birds have been called to like crazy by now. Most are call shy. I have called many jakes in hens into the decoys this spring, but not one gobbler has committed. They have all stayed about 30 yards out. I am using the DSD jake and upright hen. I am thinking that maybe that jake is actually doing more harm than good. I am considering just using the hen a couple times.

Is it possible that mature gobblers are shying away from the jake just because they aren't interested in a fight?

Also, this week starts all day hunting for the first time in Ohio. When trying to set-up on afternoon birds, if you still use decoys are they as effective? How about calling? Soft, intermittent calling in the afternoon or no calling at all?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Liv4Rut
7,281 Posts
I have had the same thing happen many times with gobblers hanging up until I purchased the strutting 360. When you can add movement to the jake or strutting decoy they almost always come in. The strutting 360 can be found on www.rjdunkin.com.

As far as hunting in the afternoon I typically sit on field edges close to where I think they will roost. The birds aren't as fired up as in the morning but I have had them come in and put a whoopin on the pretty boy. It seems like agressive calling works well from like 4-6pm and then I start to tone it down a bit from then on. It's really hit or miss on the style of calling you use but I have had goodluck with both aggressive and non agressive calling. I would say that 70% of my birds have been taking in the evening simply because I hunt a lot more evenings due to work than mornings. goodluck!!

·
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That strutting 360 looks awesome!

Wonder if it could handle the weight of a hard-bodied DSD?

Thanks for the info on the afternoon hunts. It's definitely going to a change from the norm.

·
XX78 User
4,888 Posts
I think i am going to switch to Hen deke's only for the remainder of my season. Most of the hensa re nesting by 10am this time of year and the gobblers will come and hunt you. However, after fighting for a couple months they may not respond to an aggressive decoy setup.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'd pull the jake and go with the lone hen.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Don't mean to monkey wrench anybodys jake decoy plan but last year I used an intruder jake with a hot hen and scored a big Tom on closing weekend. The Tom ignored the hen. The hunt was right after a breif storm once the fog lifted, mid-morning.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I would consider only using a hen as well. You have already seen that they are not committing to the setup that you have been using, time to mix it up a little.

·
Registered
23,619 Posts
I put away the struttung tom after the 2nd weekend, but would have no problem using a jake and a hen...

Around here, the jakes come in silent to calls in hopes of stealing a tom's lady....jake dekes make the gobblers mad...

·
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't mean to monkey wrench anybodys jake decoy plan but last year I used an intruder jake with a hot hen and scored a big Tom on closing weekend. The Tom ignored the hen. The hunt was right after a breif storm once the fog lifted, mid-morning.
No monkey wrench. Different birds act differently on different days. Turkeys are fickle and moody...just like women.:p LOL!

I have to add that these longbeards hung up well within gun range. If I had the trusty old 835 it would have been game over. However, I've put away the gun for good and have gone with the stick and string without a blind.

It's challenging and I need them in close. Those old tom's committing those last few yards is critical.

·
Registered
12,010 Posts
No monkey wrench. Different birds act differently on different days. Turkeys are fickle and moody...just like women.:p LOL!

I have to add that these longbeards hung up well within gun range. If I had the trusty old 835 it would have been game over. However, I've put away the gun for good and have gone with the stick and string without a blind.

It's challenging and I need them in close. Those old tom's committing those last few yards is critical.
Personally....I put up the hen dekes. You take the chance on spooking birds every time you put decoys out. I have found that as long as gobblers don't just pop in on decoys and can actually see them at a fair distance they won't spook. They might not come in but they won't spook.

Late in the season I like to use the strutter only. Once the hens have mostly been bred you will still see many gobblers strutting often to no avail. It is much more natural to see a strutting lone gobbler and no hens late in the season.

We had the same reaction out of birds this year but I have had 2 longbeards killed over my pretty boy this year and one wounded and lost. A friend of mine was up and shot the Tom through the breast. He came in to Pretty Boy and Pretty Boy alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts