Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a used APA Pit Viper. My concern is it is only a 31" A2A and 6.5" BH. I want this to be an all around bow. Probably a good hunting bow , but will I find it to unforgiving for target use.
(I can only afford 1 bow).

Thanks for the input.

Bob

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I'm considering a used APA Pit Viper. My concern is it is only a 31" A2A and 6.5" BH. I want this to be an all around bow. Probably a good hunting bow , but will I find it to unforgiving for target use.
(I can only afford 1 bow).

Thanks for the input.

Bob
Bob, there is a very real possiblity that between that short A2A and the short BH, you will find it will require very good form as compared to a longer bow with a longer bh.

Some will dispute this but from 30 yards + , and esp from a treestand, it will become very real.

Buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of what I was worried about Skeeter.

If I'm "on" I MAY be able to shoot it well at 20 yds under controlled circumstances, but throw any other variables into the mix and accuracy is bound to suffer.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bob

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
That's kind of what I was worried about Skeeter.

If I'm "on" I MAY be able to shoot it well at 20 yds under controlled circumstances, but throw any other variables into the mix and accuracy is bound to suffer.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bob

I know what you mean. I bought and sold a D350 this year because of basically the same thing. I am disabled and whenever I felt good, I could hit well with it. Whenever I felt below the power curve, my accuracy suffered big time.

No way was I going to take something like that to the woods on a live critter.

That all became very apparant when I bought a used 101st Airborne with its 36 1/4" A2A and 7 1/4" bh. My longer distance shooting was just not up to snuff and out of frustration, I bought that bow. It has been a few years since I shot a longer bow and I just had a hunch that was the proplem.

I'm here to tell ya, that my groups and accuracy at all ranges is so much better now.

So yep, I'm sold on longer bows with longer bh.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
I read on here all the time that a short, low brace bow is OK for hunting and not for targets. But I think that it's a silly statement. You're better off with a more critical to shoot bow in controlled circumstances than while in a tree, twisted out of shape or kneeling and leaning around a tree trunk. This is exactly the time that a bow with more generous and length is ideal. No sense in going through all the preparation of scouting and such to shoot a bow that's is critical to shoot. It just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I had a Havoctec for a while, and sold it to a vet in a wheelchair. He needed it more than I did, but that bow was very easy to shoot well.

There's a lot of factors to consider when making a single bow your entire collection. Unlike wives, or cats, more is better. I have three 33" ATA bows, a Vulcan and two Katera's. They all are easier for me to shoot well than Protec's and Ultratecs I've owned in the past. My Supertec and Turbotec have a 5 3/4" BH, they also shoot as good as anything I've owned in the past. 31" is short, but if it fits you and your style well, it could work.

Tuning and arrow selection are more important than ATA or BH. Get those right, and shooting well is a snap.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can only swing one bow, so I want it to work as well as possible in all circumstances.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I can only swing one bow, so I want it to work as well as possible in all circumstances.
A longer bow with a 7" + bh is kind of a do all bow as far as I'm concerned. You dont have to go real long. I have found that even a 33" to 34" bow shot much better for me than the shorty's I've owned, much more forgiving. They are also plenty good enough for ground blinds as well.

Why take the chance in a sub 32" bow when a longer one with a higher bh can do it all but better, and less prone to torque. No sence in going hunting if you cant make the shot under all conditions. That esp includes up in a treestand.:wink:

My .02

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhufEepz6bQ

Watch there, Viktoria Balzhanova is shooting a Destroyer 340, for the World Cup, it musn't be a bad shooter despite it's 32" ATA :wink:
Let's be fair here.....she's has, by far, the shortest DL of the group of competitors. And the rest are shooting bows 38" long or longer. Notice that? How well do you think a 2m tall man would do with it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, that's true the DL play it's role. But as crunch didn't specified his DL...
But I agree spoke too quickly

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a 28 1/2". I've decided to hold out for a longer bow with a higher BH.

Thanks Everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts