Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been several years since I participated in indoor archery - specifically 300 and Vegas rounds. The bug has kind of bitten me again and I am thinking about shooting an indoor 300 league at a local club.

I pulled my target bow down from off the top shelf out in my garage. It's probably been 10 years since I've shot my 47" ATA Hoyt Oasis with Carbon Plus 4 split limbs. The riser has a spring rest attached to it. I found my full length Easton aluminum 2613 arrows with the 2" feather fletchig and 150 gr. field points. I dug out my Sure Lok sight and it, along with the bow, looks to still be in serviceable, and I assume, shootable condition although I haven't taken it to the range yet to send any arrows downrange.

Has this combination of bow, rest, and arrows gone the way of the horse and buggy ? I'm pretty thick skinned but hate to bring this bow out of the case on league night and be the subject of the good natured ribbing which may come. Part of my thinking re:this stems from me shooting my Mathews Q2XL at a 3D shoot last year with some folks I didn't know. After about 6 or 7 targets one of the shooters in the group turned to me and said "When did you buy that bow ?" My bow, a Q2XL, with a 39" ATA, was only 12 years old at the time !

I was a respectable shooter with the Hoyt but there was no possibility of me ever winning a National Title ! I generally maintained a 300 average but my spot count stayed in the low 50's.

I'm wondering if I'm going to get the same type of comment about the Hoyt as I did the Mathews ? Granted the Hoyt was state of the art "back in the day" when I was shooting it. Should I use the potential embarassment as an excuse to start looking for a new target bow ? I even went so far as to check eBay to try to determine if my bow had any current value and couldn't find one listed for sale.

Would love to have those folks that are old enough to remember this Hoyt bow model and overall setup weigh in with their thoughts. Thanks in advance.

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
Is your bow obsolete? Yes. Can you still shoot 300's with it? yes Will a new bow improve your score? That's a tough one.
www.60xcustomstrings.com

·
edthearcher
6,509 Posts
I owned a hoyt oassis with a comand cam, bright red in color, sorry i ever sold it, they were sweet to shoot, I now shoot a hoyt pro tec with lx pro limbs, flag color. 2003 model, thats going to be my last target bow.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
my son still shoots a 2006 hoyt target bow and is one of the better shooters, his X count is always over 55 x`s and he hardly ever pratices ,my son just shoots his league score once a week.so really if you shoot your old bow well use it and have fun. the guys with the new bows start thinking about how you are shooting so well with an old bow and probably makes them mis a little too ? good luck,Pete53

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Man them Hoyt Oasis bows were nice.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
No,it will shoot as good as any other target bow if you do your part.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you have confidence in the bow and yourself your bow is not obsolete and I bet either is your shooting ability. I say shoot your bow and show the boys what a older bow and shooter can do.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
If anyone gives you a hard time just out shoot them with the old hoyt. Then give them a hard time on spending 2 grand on a target bow only to lose.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
No,it will shoot as good as any other target bow if you do your part.
This, but replace the string and cables first

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
About the only thing that has really gotten any better is the string and cables you can put on it now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was recently bitten by the bug again after many years out of competition. I've since bought a new used bow just because but my 1994 Hoyt SuperStar Carbon Plus is still shooting just fine!
image.jpg

As far as I can tell, the rest of my equipment from back then is just as good as today's.... A Sure Loc site, Sepcialty Products Super Scope, Easton X7's and A/C/E stabilizer plus a back up of each.

If you like the old bow, use it and enjoy it. I bought a new one after trying another and preferring how the new stuff feels. My old bow will soon reside on a wall with all the trophies it won for me back in the day.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
But wouldn't it be rich to beat all those guys with that old bow? I say give it a spin.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This, but replace the string and cables first
I was wondering if I should get a new string and cables since the those which are on it must be, at minimum, 8 or 9 years old. Do strings/cables actually deteriorate and need replaced after a given number of years or shots ? I must admit I have never been very conscientious about this equipment aspect. Perhaps because I don't own a bow press and hate to rely on a pro shop to replace the strings/cables - or perhaps I've have doubted that I've ever shot a set of strings enough to wear them out !

What say you archery experts ? Does time or number of shots dictate string replacement even if they are not frayed or in some way compromised. I am kind of thinking "if it ain't broke don't fit it." But maybe mine is "broke" and I just don't know enough to realize it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The quality of the string material has improved such that you probably should replace them. I think it would be worth it. There are a bunch of string makers here that could do it and now that the sales are going on you wouldn't be out much $$. I'll bet that 60X guy could do a great job for you.

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,401 Posts
Nice I have a hoyt supreme comp bow. Anyone know the yr that it was made? It's a oldie for sure

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
No reason to feel embarrassed at all! Just shoot it and have fun. I bet that bow would be more stable than most new bows. I agree that you should change the strings and cables though.
Good natured ribbing is part of the deal when you shoot in a league. That's what makes it fun!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I still have my 1989 PSE Laser flight 2000 riser, it came with wood laminated limbs. still have them but changed the limbs to PSE mach 5 carbon and merlin stop draw of the time and split cable like we prototyped at the time and also got the bug back as my son is starting to shoot and dusted it so to speak and shot it a couple of weeks. and to my surprise still shoot great. what was funny is the face of the other compound shooters who looked curiously at my bow not sure what to make out of it.

to be honest I find funny the way the other shooter look at my bows. I'm in to have a great time and enjoy shooting.

But recently I pulled my second PSE a PSE mach pro s8 2004. and after putting on the the poundage again and a retune it shoots great. Taking more of a back stage now as I only shoot once a week if I'm lucky but I sure can shoot competitively with it. Love those PSE. Only shot PSE.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Are Your Bows Old? Yes. Modern Bows will be faster, and lighter in weight.

You shot a 300, some and possibly most may never achieve that goal with a modern bow.

Heed the advice of getting new string and cables, it may actually improve the bows performance even more.

You didn't say what cams/wheels are on the Bow but I just looked up an old catalog of an oasis and the IBO speed of that bow in 98' with accuwheels was ~270fps. If your just shooting spots at 20 or 18 you don't need much speed to do that.

I've never shot a 300, most recently round was with a Hoyt Stratus with Master Cams I recently got restrung. I shot a 288 don't remember the x count.

Guy shooting that same night was shooting a Newer Pro Edge. He shot a 300.

He had better form and better matched arrows,probably spent more time at the range justifying his purchase practicing religiously.

I shoot for fun with a bow in excess of 15yr.s old and I gave up 12 points that night.

If you decide to move the Oasis and get a "newer" bow, I call dibs. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts