Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GIS guy
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize it's pretty tough to evaluate this from a photo, but have a look. Is my nock point too high in your opinion? I was aiming at a target bag on the ground about 10 meters away.

Because I'm new to archery, could someone please advise me on the proper method to establish where the nock point should be on a target compound bow?

I recently replaced the string and have had troubles ever since. I've had problems with the shop that did the work (starting with the string), and have since gone to a different shop (25 minutes away), but they don't work on Martin bows much nor do they work on dual-cam bows. The closest shop that might have a clue is 2 hours away!

Don't make fun of the sight. I know it's awful and barely better than nothing - it's next on the replacement list.

Any other advice you can offer based on this photo (technique, form, etc.) is very welcome too. I could use some advice from you knowledgeable folks!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Tough call....but based on the picture alone, it does look like its set a little high. Are you shooting a drop away? WB?

·
Registered
11,509 Posts
Wayyyyy too high, put an arrow on the rest and don't draw it, with the bow straight up and down, your arrow should be about 1/8" above level

·
Banned
1,351 Posts
how's the paper tuning coming along with that? i had to move my nock a bit high to shoot bullet holes with my parker spitfire..

·
GIS guy
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1/8" above level

When you say that the arrow should be 1/8 inch above level, where do you measure that 1/8"? At the nock point or at the tip of the arrow? They'd be quite different in my estimation.

Thanks!

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
22,921 Posts
OK

Put 2 piece's of 1/2 inch black electrical tape on your target face.
One in a Horizontal position. And one in a Vertical position.

Read where your arrow hits. If they hit right or left. Move your arrow rest till they hit or are close to the tape line. Same with the Horizontal tape line. Move nock up or down to move your arrows closer to the tape line.

Now first shoot at your vertical position. Move you arrow rest to attain your center shot.And arrows hitting the tape line.,or close

Now shoot at the Horizontal tape line. Now move your nocking point up or down to attain your nock height. And arrows hitting the tape line.,or close.

Later

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
When you say that the arrow should be 1/8 inch above level, where do you measure that 1/8"? At the nock point or at the tip of the arrow? They'd be quite different in my estimation.

Thanks!
He meant that the rest is horizontal at 90 degrees and the nock should be 1/8" above that 90 degrees line. Thats how I set up bows for my customers as well. Don't know if thats the standard, but I was taught this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts