Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that do not know my story, I had the limbs replaced on my xt 2 weeks after buying it due to pro shop error. At this time the cable was also replaced due to the cam eating the serving at breakover point. At this time the bow had no more than 150 shots through it. It was sent back to Mathews to be checked, all was good they said and they put a new cable on it. Now after exactly 130 shots, the serving is completely seprated and eaten away by the rollover spot again. This time it is almost a 1/4 in area of raw string now showing. This is rediculous, is anyone else with this bow having this problem? I ordered a winners choice cable this time, only because I cannot wait 2 weeks for Bucknasty strings. I hope this cures the problem. Too bad we have to go this route when you spend so much on a new bow:mad:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The fast wear is usually due to the yoke harnass/buss cable not being lazer tuned. If one side of the harness stretches more than the other.....it will cause to pull harder on on side of the limb more than the other. This correlates down to the cam making it lean. Matthews grooves on the cams a rather sharp on the edges, and if the cable is not tracking perfectly it will cause a shearing action on it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Wonderboy said:
The fast wear is usually due to the yoke harnass/buss cable not being lazer tuned. If one side of the harness stretches more than the other.....it will cause to pull harder on on side of the limb more than the other. This correlates down to the cam making it lean. Matthews grooves on the cams a rather sharp on the edges, and if the cable is not tracking perfectly it will cause a shearing action on it.
What do you mean "laser tune the yokes"? The idler sets at an angle due to the roller guard/cable guide. So the shelf yoke has to be shorter/pull harder to compensate. How would you use a laser to tune the cable yokes?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Not sure about your limbs but I and a buddie of mine have the same cable issue. We were told that the serving used on the stock cable is to think and should be reserved and have Liquid Lok added to eliminate the issue. Mathews knows about this too.
I plan to do like you and replace them soon.
I love Mathews bows but never really cared for the Zebra brand strings. JMO

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, lemme ask this, on the lx, the serving does not go around the break, so it is bare string making the sharp turn. Has anyone tried this with the xt or is it just not gonna happen? I am sure it is there for a reason. Should we somehow try to file the cam so it is not as sharp on the edges as mentioned above?

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
winner choice should fix it but with a smaller diameter serving the let off will change a little . but it's a trade off that i would take. their use to be a letter on WC. site were they told people to look for burrs on the cam this was the cause of serving wear . I really don't think that a company like mathews would let thousands of cams go out the door like that.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Lazer tuning a bow achieves parrallel wheel symetry. Insuring that both of the wheels are mirroring each other. Another way to accomplish this it to measure axle to axle on both sides of the top limb, and then twisting/untwisting the affected part of the yoke harness until they measure the same. It usually takes only a few twists to do this.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Wonderboy said:
Lazer tuning a bow achieves parrallel wheel symetry. Insuring that both of the wheels are mirroring each other. Another way to accomplish this it to measure axle to axle on both sides of the top limb, and then twisting/untwisting the affected part of the yoke harness until they measure the same. It usually takes only a few twists to do this.
Umm if you get both sides of an XT exactly the same you'll wind up with cable/string wear AND the string not coming off the idler straight.

To tune an XT you'll have to induce idler lean at rest so that at full draw the string comes straight off the idler wheel.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
bob101 said:
Umm if you get both sides of an XT exactly the same you'll wind up with cable/string wear AND the string not coming off the idler straight.

To tune an XT you'll have to induce idler lean at rest so that at full draw the string comes straight off the idler wheel.

This is correct I have been told.
A good cheap way to see if your wheel lean is correct is to take an arrow and lay in beside your wheel flat. You'll only be able to do it on one side with the string dampener on the other. The field point of your arrow should be pointing exactly at your brass nock point/loop/center of your serving.
I was told this was set correctly if so.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
bob101 said:

Bob is correct. At brace the idler sets off center so that at full draw it tracks straight of the wheel. To set them straight together at brace then the string would come off crooked at full draw causing a wicked left tear and possible string jump of the idler. I tried one and found that when it comes to Mathews a laser tuner is worthless. The factory techs pretty much say the same thing.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I just got this bow back from mathews set up to their specs and it is still eating the serving in just over 100 shots. Hope the winners choice cable works out. Another disappointment was 277fps with 29 draw and 70lbs with a 393 grain arrow set up, I was hoping for better numbers. I know this is not bad, but would like to be a lil faster. I know I can get down to 350 grains, how much will I benefit in fps by doing this? What arrow setup would you all recommend to get it safely to 300fps and still maintain the accuracy I like from this bow? I am using the Easton carbon excels 400 with 8.1 gpi now. I can still chop about 2" off the arrows, but don't know if this will cause a spine problem. My arrows are 29.5" now and I use 100gr tips. Any suggestions would be great, Thanks

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
My switchback was doing the same thing and BCY came out with a different type of serving to try and correct this. This is what I am being told by the gentleman who did my strings. I have not yet shot my bow since this serving was installed, so cant give you a outcome.
I am also getting 277fps out of my switchback with 379 grain arrows. I dont think you are going to gain that much speed by dropping 40 grains, maybe 5-10 fps. Which really wont be noticable. Just remember sometimes speed will hurt you. If you noticed I am getting the same speed as you and am at a lighter arrow. I think you are doing fine on speed IMO

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the same problem with my XT when I first bought it. I replaced the strings and cables with a set of Vapor Trails and the problem was solved.

·
Banned
333 Posts
Strings and Cables

I think the Winners Choice will take care of your problem, Mathews factory strings have always been junk in my opinion, It sucks to spend that kind of money on a bow and get a crappy string and cables on it !!!!!!

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
I did not have any serving seperation on my strings, but I did just replace them with a set of Bucknasty strings:wink: and they are awesome!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
have your pro shop get you the new cam from mathews. mathews relized that a bunch of the bows were doing this do to the sharp edge of the agressive cam on the switchback and the xt so they came out with a replacement cam that has a wider spacer in it check in to it

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again, i will check into these options and hopefully the outcome will be good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
they are talking about this same problem over on the mathews site. No fixes from mathews end. everyone just keeps replacing their strings. Thanks for the liquid lock info!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts