Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my first bow and currently shooting in my yard. My goal is to kill a turkey with this bow. The bow is a Mission Craze. I told the guy who owns the archery shop I wanted to spend approx. $400 to $425, he set up and I purchased the Mission, Whisker bisquet, site (tru glo), 6 carbon arrows. I have watched a couple video's and have seen deer duck a shot and I suppose this is why you require a quiet bow. If hunting turkey, shots would probably be 10 to 25 yrd. max. If so is quiet important? Remember I am new to this so really don't have anything to compare to so thats why I am asking. I like the bow and once I get better with it will I and should I be going to another bow? I guess its just a question of trying several to decide which feel good. I do believe its more the indian rather than the arrow so until I get better I will definately stick with what I have. Thanks, any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
It's 90% shooter. People get too hung up on $$$ and equipment. Main thing with the turkey is be invisible. About once a week I work my calls while shooting. I use diagrams so it's convenient to practice while taking short breaks in groups. Just put in the time and it will pay off. Good luck

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yea. A turky won't duck your arow like a deer will. The reason deer "duck" is they are geting ready to jump and run as a reaction to the sound..They aren't realy ducking the arrow. Turkys are just hard to hunt because they haave realy good vision and are realy alert to movement. Camo is king with turkys and draw slooooow.

Good luck and invite me to dinner..:)

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I agree. Take if from an old fart thats been bowhunting with compounds for over 31 years.

I've killed lots of critters with a noisy bow of yester year.

A quiet bow is not necessary for deer or turkey's.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
The Craze "should" be a quiet bow, at least the bows I worked on were. It sounds like either the bow isn't tuned/timed properly, or maybe too light of an arrow. I worked on one that was 70 lbs/29" and it was very quiet.

But, for turkeys it's not needed, just annoying. That's why I like archery, it's quiet!

·
It's in da hole!
1,676 Posts
My wife shoots a Craze set at about 50#. That things is as quiet as a bird fart. I am amazed everytime we walk the 3d course together.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I confused you, I was not saying my Craze was loud, I really don't have anything to compare it to. I was only raising the question because so many people seem to be concerned with noise. My thinking is since a turkey is shot from very close range it would not matter if the bow actually rang a bell, kinda like a clay bird can not out run shot. Apparently you agree.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Man, bow hunting turkey is not the easiest thing to start hunting .Now, it can be done But, you may get busted a few times first .Most people set in a blind to do it ..however, your bow noise is no issue...practice a lot and try to hit them just below the start of his wing ,,or in the neck ..

·
Registered deer murderer
632 Posts
I can't imagine bow noise being a factor with turkeys. In fact, I'm not sure it even matters with deer. If you go on youtube, there are hundreds of videos of whitetails getting shot with arrows. Every one I have watched has jumped the string to a degree (except for straight-down shots underneath the stand). That said, I have a string stop and cat whiskers on my bow :tongue: I would be interested to see an experiment that tested for the decibel threshold that causes the average whitetail to jump at ranges under 30 yards.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
most deer jump from sight not the sound see how many deer duck the string on a quartering away shot. not many

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I recently bought my first bow and currently shooting in my yard. My goal is to kill a turkey with this bow. The bow is a Mission Craze. I told the guy who owns the archery shop I wanted to spend approx. $400 to $425, he set up and I purchased the Mission, Whisker bisquet, site (tru glo), 6 carbon arrows. I have watched a couple video's and have seen deer duck a shot and I suppose this is why you require a quiet bow. If hunting turkey, shots would probably be 10 to 25 yrd. max. If so is quiet important? Remember I am new to this so really don't have anything to compare to so thats why I am asking. I like the bow and once I get better with it will I and should I be going to another bow? I guess its just a question of trying several to decide which feel good. I do believe its more the indian rather than the arrow so until I get better I will definately stick with what I have. Thanks, any input is appreciated.
Bad thing about turkeys is that 99.999% of the time, they see you move long before you see them.A hunter should always be/move as quietly as possable and his equipment should work as quiet as possable....but uaually a hunters movement is the kiss of death...for the hunter..not the hunted.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I was wondering about the same thing because I know my bow is not the quietest one out there. But I actually paid close attention to the sound of the string dropping to the thwack when my arrow hits the target at 20-25 yards and I just don't see a deer ducking low enough for me to completely miss. It's pretty much instantaneous at that range, and I don't usually hunt areas where i'll be shooting much farther than that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For Turkeys, the sound is not an issue....with deer, it is. (here come the hate directed at me) My hunting bow, a Bowtec Assassan, which is a fairly queit, fast, bow, produces a peak 68 dbs. I deer can hear that 400 yards away. Beyond 50 yards, your arrow takes 1/2 second to reach the deer. Your shot may be dead on where you aimed but the deer may not be there. I'm not here to preach hunting ethics..but keep that in mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts