Archery Talk Forum banner

Is scent prevention important?

3K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  awirtz26 
#1 ·
Lets talk scent control. I have probally paid about 2 to 3 hundred dollars in scnet prevent products in my life. And you know what i have noticed? Absolutley nothing, because you never will notice a difference, a deers sence of smell is one of the strongest in the world. Wich basically means, no matter what you wash your clothes in or what you brush your teeth with or how you store your clothes probally doesnt make a difference. Because no matter what, he/she is gona smell you. Sorry to dissapoint all you hunters with boots burried in the back yard. This year i hunted without even washing my clothes from last year, and i must say they were rather rank!!!!! But i killed a spike on opening day and a eight point in general gun, all public land and one came from upwind, the other from downwind. So, in my opinion i will never buy any scent prevent product, but i think i will continue to wash my clothes in typical clothing wash.

#3 ·
do you not agree?

#4 ·
I have NEVER used any sort of scent eliminator. Just pay close attention to the wind. Waste of money IMO.

#5 ·
This subject has been hashed and rehashed a hundred times just in the past month. Do a search and you'll likely see everyone's opinion already posted in here.

#6 ·
ok....

#9 ·
thats the truth right there, i do care more about wind, and camo patterns, i think they are more important

#10 ·
But i killed a spike on opening day and a eight point in general gun, all public land and one came from upwind, the other from downwind. So, in my opinion i will never buy any scent prevent product, but i think i will continue to wash my clothes in typical clothing wash.
If I was hunting spikes or younger deer I most likely wouldn't care to much either.

#11 ·
yea, keep in mind i hunt in south florida, thats mostly what you see

#13 ·
Playing the wind???? Ever hunted in Illinois or Iowa, or any mountains? Wind blows 360 degrees most, then you have thermal/ oragraphic wind. I hunted two weeks in Illinois and only had one day that we had a steady wind.

You had best be clean non scent and pray a lot that that 5.5 yo buck just happens by at the right time with the right wind. Smelling like gas, cigs, breakfast, or any other non natural scent to that animal will just warn him away with out your knowledge of being there.
Kill all the spikes and does and young bucks and think that is hunting???? Try an old deer and tell me scent control is not crucial.
That is my two scents.....

#14 ·
Is scent prevention important?
Let's put it this way.........don't wash for a week or two, and make sure you've got some good workouts in there as well. Then put on your best duds and head to the local hotties hangout. Spend some time with the ladies and let them tell you whether scent prevention is important.:wink:

#15 ·
It really depends on what age of deer you are hunting. If a mature whitetail crosses your scent stream at 200 yards and you are basically scent free, what little scent you have will probably be dispersed enough that he won't catch you. Even if you don't shoot him that day, at least you didn't give yourself away. That's the way I look at it.

If you are just out to kill any deer, then don't waste your money on the stuff.

#17 ·
Op you are pretty much right. I do wash my clothes in the unscented hunting type soap and use unscented deodorant, shampoo and body soap. But I do that year round not just for hunting. There is nothing you can do to keep from being smelled if the thermals take your scent to the animal. Now the wind can be blowing toward them and you may not get smelled simply because your scent never reached them. thermals don't always go straight in any direction. All of the sprays, cover scents, scent loc clothing ect are a total waste of time and money. They do abosolutely nothing to keep you from getting smelled by game

#18 ·
next time you hunt public land in florida, and that is the only deer you have seen in a week, and its time to fill the freezer then we can talk, a kill is a kill, im a meat hunter all day, thats atually the purpose of hunting pal, if you lable yourself a trophy hunter, it gets antis all upset

#19 ·
OHHHH my bad, didnt know i was talking to the whitetail expert, please tell me the titles of the books youve written and the magazine articles that you authorized, it would be most appreciatted

#22 ·
Use smoke to kill scent. It's a natural cover and it prevents and kill scent. Hunters have been using it for centuries to kill scent. They also use the the charcoal to filter it from getting to the noses of animals. Given, you will never kill all the scents are bodies emanate. But, anything we do help to get us closer to our quarry.

#23 ·
dont wast your money just use the wind... i dont use any and since I have been paying particular attentin to the wind I seee lots more deer

#24 ·
When I began paying attention to my scent prep, my deer sightings and kills went up in number and quality.

Obviously some products are a waste, and some are over-hyped, but some provide you with the means to hunt smarter, and more effectively. Basic scent-free soaps, detergents, etc. and storing your clothes to minimize contamination is a good thing in my book. But, even with all that in mind, it also makes you pay much more attention to the wind at your set up, the entry/exit routes you take, and how you hunt (stand placement and deciding to hunt a particular stand).

To me, scent prepartion is part of the entire process....

#26 ·
My take is do everything you can because you need as much help as humanly possible to shoot mature deer, bucks or doe. I bet if you could have a wideview overhead cam you would not believe how many deer have skirted you that you never knew were there because they winded something foreign to the woods. Scent lok, scent spray, etc. may not work 100%, but just plain ignoring scent control will get you spikes and the occasional 8 point that someone jumped your way during gun season if you are lucky. To wear your leather boots and full hunting gear stopping at the gas station to fill up and thinking it makes no difference at all to your hunting outcome is plain ignorance. I am glad you hunt public land and not next door to me.

#29 ·
thats the truth right there, i do care more about wind, and camo patterns, i think they are more important
PLease ol wise one..Enlighten us as to the best camo pattern there is..I gotta hear this
next time you hunt public land in florida, and that is the only deer you have seen in a week, and its time to fill the freezer then we can talk, a kill is a kill, im a meat hunter all day, thats atually the purpose of hunting pal, if you lable yourself a trophy hunter, it gets antis all upset
Saying that controlling scent does not work at all.Is a dumb as me saying it works 100% all the time..I use sport wash..An homemade scent prevention spray(mostly for B.O).I also keep any foreign odors i can off my clothing.I play the wind an try to touch as little vegetation as possible going to an from my stands or blinds etc.If you dont think leaving the smell of bacon,gasoline or that jergens lotion you love so much(thats u O.P).On the ground or brush an such makes a difference..You have another thing coming..I dont care if doing what i do to control scent only helps 1% or 10% or more or less..I know I am leaving less odor around then you are...

#31 ·
now this guys is smart, he uses his brain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.