Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is sending a cashiers check to a seller on here a safe wat to but a bow?

What guarantee do I have that the seller will send the bow?

Do I have any recorse if the bow isnt shipped after it is paid for?

Thanks

Wingbone

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
COD is the way to go if you are unsure...ask him to send the bow and then you pay upon receipt.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Yep

COD is the way to go if you are unsure...ask him to send the bow and then you pay upon receipt.
Or a Money Order, then if they screw you its a federal offense. But, isnt it a shame that we need to even think about it. We should all be able to trust each other and make good deals.......

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
A seller on this site recieves payment first then sends out the goods. Maybe there are some exceptions but not many. If a buyer asked for COD I wouldn't sell to them if that was the only acceptable method for them. MO is a good way but still you can be taken. You need to buy from someone you can trust and it really isn't that hard. I have bought and sold at least 75 items maybe more and have never had a problem. Buy from someone who has sold big money items, will give you a phone # and a valid address. If there only feedback is buying that means nothing to me, if you want something you have to pay. Also look at all there posts, you get a real good feel for a person IMO..

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
If a buyer asked for COD I wouldn't sell to them if that was the only acceptable method for them.
I don't understand your reasoning for this:confused: If a buyer requests COD, then you send the item and the item is not delivered until payment is submitted to the courier. It should be on the party that requests COD to cover the charges, but it is the safest way to go when in doubt.
If I requested COD and the seller wouldn't do it, then I would be very suspicious of that seller.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I don't understand your reasoning for this:confused: If a buyer requests COD, then you send the item and the item is not delivered until payment is submitted to the courier. It should be on the party that requests COD to cover the charges, but it is the safest way to go when in doubt.
If I requested COD and the seller wouldn't do it, then I would be very suspicious of that seller.
Fine. I wouldn't. I want the money in my hand before I send it. I am honest and you can tell by my feedback. Lots of buyers out there and none have ever asked me for COD so why do I have to. I don't. I feel my feedback speaks for itself. Maybe for a new seller COD is fine but I wouldn't do it and I am sure I am not alone. Also what if that buyer is not available the first couple times the item is attempted to be delivered you could wait a week for your money

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
When purchasing something I always go by the sellers feedback and if its on AT and they don't have any I always ask them for thier username name on eBay. If they have a good record I will send a MO or cashiers check if not I don't buy it. Here on AT I also look at the number of posts they have, if there only posts are the listing of the item I'm instantly extremely cautious about buying from them and most likely won't. Basically, use common sense, if it sounds a little fishy..... IT IS.

For example, I've been looking for a Pro Elite with a 29.5" DL and found one for sale on 3dshoots.com. The seller "centerpunch"only had 2 posts under that username, one post was listing the bow for sale and another was a question about a bow for sale. We had agreed on a price and I asked him how he would like to receive payment, he stated "MO or cashier's check, I'm not fully sold on Paypal yet" The sec I received that PM I was instantly leary about the transaction. I then asked the seller about any AT or eBay feedback or that I could check out before I send payment, its been 4 days since I sent that email and I still have yet to get a reply. Seems a little strange that I had gotten steady PM replies when negotiating the price, until I got the PM about Paypal and I asked about some sort of feedback history. Had it not been for me being cautious, I very well probably would have ended up getting ripped off.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
...I would very much agree with this statement by DOC...

...which by the way is COD spelled backwards:darkbeer:

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Actually, UPS "COD cash" is safe. With "plain COD" a personal check is acceptable and that may bounce. There is a fee for the COD, but the buyer should pay that fee. Last time I used it, the fee was $8, but that was a while ago.

PayPal is the safest way to buy as you have a record of the payment and you can contest the payment if you don't get the bow. The seller would have to prove they sent the bow if you contested the payment.

Ray

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Also what if that buyer is not available the first couple times the item is attempted to be delivered you could wait a week for your money
Or if the buyer changed his mind you would have to cover shipping and the COD charges, and still have your bow that needs sold.

I'm not picking sides, but there are arguments for both sides. I say send a MO and all will be well. MO are secure and traceable, just keep your stub. For the most part the guys on this site are good guys and can be trusted.

I would never buy from a guy who created an account on here just to sell something though. That is too fishy, and you are asking to get screwed. It has happened before.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
The best thing for this site even if they have feedback is to get a name, address and phone number...and make a phone call. Touch base with the person about the deal and discuss any details. I would also run the phone number and address to make sure 2 + 2 =4. Check with previous buyers and see how things went.

Cover your bases if in doubt...but I still say if you are still unsure go with C.O.D.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Or if the buyer changed his mind you would have to cover shipping and the COD charges, and still have your bow that needs sold.
I'm not picking sides, but there are arguments for both sides. I say send a MO and all will be well. MO are secure and traceable, just keep your stub. For the most part the guys on this site are good guys and can be trusted.

I would never buy from a guy who created an account on here just to sell something though. That is too fishy, and you are asking to get screwed. It has happened before.
Great point I was thinking that also

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Do your homework, and look at who your buying from (feedback history). Then being the purchaser, you just have to trust it will all work out. In the long run if you do have problems the moderators here on AT are top notch. There are times when you need to use them, but always attempt to contact the seller first. Long story short, if you are that worried, my advice is to stick to purchasing from a local dealer.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Cod

The best thing for this site even if they have feedback is to get a name, address and phone number...and make a phone call. Touch base with the person about the deal and discuss any details. I would also run the phone number and address to make sure 2 + 2 =4. Check with previous buyers and see how things went.

Cover your bases if in doubt...but I still say if you are still unsure go with C.O.D.
I agree with DOC. The C.O.D is really the only way that protects all parties. However, if your dealing with someone who has O.C.D. the the C.O.D. probably wont work, unless it DOC of course.:darkbeer:

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
I agree with DOC. The C.O.D is really the only way that protects all parties. However, if your dealing with someone who has O.C.D. the the C.O.D. probably wont work, unless it DOC of course.:darkbeer:
If you go C.O.D. ASAP and that S.O.B. ends up D.O.A. then they R.I.P. while you're S.O.L. P.D.Q. because your bow is M.I.A.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I usually just get all there info and talk to them on the phone and make sure everything sounds legit. I use usps money orders only!

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
I usually just get all there info and talk to them on the phone and make sure everything sounds legit. I use usps money orders only!

Thats what I do and it's always worked for me.

My next choice would be to set up a paypal account but I despise credit card companies and hate giving them 3% just for a transaction. :pukey:

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Thats what I do and it's always worked for me.

My next choice would be to set up a paypal account but I despise credit card companies and hate giving them 3% just for a transaction. :pukey:
I like doing paypal too, some buyers/sellers are only set up for money orders!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts