Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
You mean just putting a peep in without tying it in. It'll fly out, trust me lol

·
Registered
17,259 Posts
Fly out? It depends on the bow and peep used. I don't tie mine in until I'm sure it's at the right height.

You don't have to tie in above and below but if you don't tie the peep to the string it will likely move on you.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I believe he's referring to serving it in with 18-20 wraps above and below the peep and then pulled tight versus just tying a piece of service around the peep with a simple square knot.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nobody can give you a yes or no answer here. All applications and scenarios are different. If you really want to know, use a silver market (or black if your strings are colored) to mark the proper location for the peep. Shoot 100 arrows. If the peep is still there and hasn't slid, draw your conclusion.

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
I didnt tie one in once and it came out.............. I tie all them in now, too simple of a process to not do it.
Do I run serving above and below.... no; only if I am going for a certian color scheme on the bow (for looks) only.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't "serve" my peeps in I tie them. Twice I have shot my bow without tying in the peep and it flew out upon release

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
I have personally seen a peep fly out of a string bounce off the riser and smack a guy right in the forehead...He had an egg shape welt in about one second...Could have been his eye...I would at least tie around the peep even when tuning...Its easy to take it off if you need to make an adjustment

·
Registered
889 Posts
I use to not tie my peep in until I heard Jack Wallace tell a story about a guy loosing his eye, due to a untied peep flying out. Freek accident that could have been prevented.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I know of a guy, in a hurry to go to Bedford In, quite a few years ago, he was about 18 years old. He even worked at a archery shop, he was in a hurry, didn't tie his peep in. A nock broke and he almost dry fired his bow, peep came out, bounced back off the riser and he lost his eye because of it. Realistically kind of a freak accident, but I won't shoot a bow without one being tied in. It's about like drawing a bow without a arrow--you just never know. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Yes..

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
I have shoot without a tied peep without any problems if the string has plenty of twist to hold it in place but I highly suggest to tie a peep in. It only takes a few minutes and it is better to be safe. It will hold the peep from accidently being moved as well.

It's like when you were a kid and riding your bike with no hands. Everything went well until you hit a rock. In a world full of rocks, it is best to be prepared for the unexpected.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
It's not rare at all for a peep that isn't tied in to shoot off and ricochet off of the riser back at your face. I've heard of multiple stories of it blinding the shooter. Just tie it in, takes a second

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This is the minimum. Use serving thread to connect the peep to your bowstring.
Use dental floss, if you have to.
Use some dacron bowstring, if you have to.
Use bowstring material, if you like.
Would you say to avoid the dental floss if you're truly serving above & below the peep?

·
(aka lug nut)
49,659 Posts
Would you say to avoid the dental floss if you're truly serving above & below the peep?
Dental floss is a TEMPORARY measure,
for SAFETY purposes...

so you can install the peep
and adjust the peep up and down the bowstring
IN the bow press

when you are figuring out WHERE you want the peep sight...tweaking a little higher or lower.

When you have the FINAL peep sight height figured out...

and you have the BOWSTRING dialed in to POINT dead straight ahead, bow at rest

and you have the BOWSTRING dialed in for ZERO peep rotation, at full draw...

I would remove the dental floss
and then,
TIE in with SERVING thread for FINAL installation.

Now,
if you like,
you can also put in a TIED nocking point below (don't squeeze the triangle)
and
you can also put in a TIED nocking point above (don't squeeze the triangle)

and this gives you some ADJUSTABILITY for where the peep sight is POINTED, when at full draw.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Tied in hundreds if not thousands of peeps with floss, never an issue, other than trying to remove the floss...I am going to start tying in without"squeezing the triangle" as n&b stated, seems it always causes my peep to rotate if I do!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts