Archery Talk Forum banner

Is sitting in a tree stand hunting or just sitting???

22901 Views 375 Replies 137 Participants Last post by  DeltaDeerHunter
So, basically a thread was started about rifle hunting, stating that it really wasn't hunting but mearly shooting. I rifle hunt a lot and took offence to this since I am pretty sure I could hunt circles around 99% of the guys in that thread no matter what weapon I had in hand. I should be a professional hunter.

So, I am taking it a step further and posing the question..... Is sitting in a tree stand hunting or is it just sitting???

I mean seriously. I think the hardest part of sitting in a tree is not falling out. All you have to do is sit, text your buddies a few times. Maybe play a game. Drink some cofee and wait for a deer to basically find you. You are not out hunting, your waiting. Then a deer FINDS YOU and you shoot it. Big deal.

Real hunters get on the ground and stalk game. That is hunting. Come out of your trees fellas. There is a whole new world down on the ground.
1 - 20 of 376 Posts

· Registered
5,566 Posts
It is hunting.
Just sitting to hunt!

Now sitting and waiting for a 900 yard shot,is something else:D

· Registered
1,649 Posts
So, basically a thread was started about rifle hunting, stating that it really wasn't hunting but mearly shooting. I rifle hunt a lot and took offence to this since I am pretty sure I could hunt circles around 99% of the guys in that thread no matter what weapon I had in hand. I should be a professional hunter.

So, I am taking it a step further and posing the question..... Is sitting in a tree stand hunting or is it just sitting???

I mean seriously. I think the hardest part of sitting in a tree is not falling out. All you have to do is sit, text your buddies a few times. Maybe play a game. Drink some cofee and wait for a deer to basically find you. You are not out hunting, your waiting. Then a deer FINDS YOU and you shoot it. Big deal.

Real hunters get on the ground and stalk game. That is hunting. Come out of your trees fellas. There is a whole new world down on the ground.
I agree for the most part. But I put A LOT of time and effort into finding the right tree to sit in and that is where the skill comes in.

Your right, alot of guys just walk in a general area, and just climb a tree at random. And sometime they get lucky.

I have shot a bunch of deer on the ground. And one nice buck with the bow while still hunting at 5 yards:teeth:

As for this thread......:happy1::happy1:

· Registered
94 Posts
Stalking is the real deal!

I love to stalk, not as good as I'd like to be, but love it. I'd go season's without harvesting a deer just for a successful stalk. I just need to improve my knife throwing abilities and I'd never have an empty tag!

· Registered
1,888 Posts

Ambush is one of the most basic forms of hunting. Find a good spot and wait for the game to come to you. It's hunting and it is a big deal.

Stalking is much harder and depending on the amount of ground you have to hunt very limited to most hunters.

To say that waiting is not hunting is foolish. :darkbeer:

· Registered
31 Posts
hey

well mister, im such a good hunter, i will stand up on here for my fellow AT ers and ask you, where are your success pictures. i think that its not waiting, if your treestand hunting, its far from, i know i dont walk up to a certain tree on a logging trail and are like, yep the deer will find me here. no , i scout, i lure, i trail camera them. i shed hunt, i know the deer, heck i even have them named, i hunt public and private land, yes i bait deer, yes i use trail cameras, and yes i kill many deer because i love backstraps and all the meat the deer give me. we are bowhunters and hunters all around, we need to stick together and get rid of
PETA, as they are our only enemy. if you want to spot and stalk good for you. have fun, i know many people who do, i could say that you have it easy as all you do i look around until you find one and go down wind and shoot one. i mean i scout, keep my scent to a minimum, trail cam them, bati them in, and kill them, and eat my delicious backstraps and venison. i dont like people who try to seperate hunters into different groups we are all one group scepies, with tons of subspecies. i personally dont like guys who walk around and spot and stalk and put there scent everywhere, and/or pay unbeleive able amounts to kill a deer or even a fenced deer, i also dont care much for people who are totally against baiting, but i dont make a thread about about this now do i. get with the program were all hunters, we control the population and thrive on our delicous backstraps as we have success and the horns that decorate the halls are a bonus to all the fun my family has hunting and checkin the trail cameras.

just my 2 cents

D

· Registered
998 Posts
So is still hunting actually hunting or just walking real slow hoping you accidentally get close to something? Is spot and stalk real hunting or just driving around/hiking with expensive glass until you see something and hope you can get close enough to shoot it? Spot and stalk is for guys who aren't good enough hunters to pattern animals well enough to know where they will be for a close shot. Yes, this entire post is tongue-in-cheek, it is meant to show how rediculous your argument is. I employ all three methods and you can be dang sure that hunting from a treestand is "real" hunting.

· Registered
1,948 Posts
I love to stalk, not as good as I'd like to be, but love it. I'd go season's without harvesting a deer just for a successful stalk. I just need to improve my knife throwing abilities and I'd never have an empty tag!
:D Yeah,and why are you guys shooting deer at 30 yards with compounds ? Thats not hunting,just shooting. I mean they have no chance....sheesh.
Just kidding....:teeth:

· Registered
31 Posts
well mister, im such a good hunter, i will stand up on here for my fellow AT ers and ask you, where are your success pictures. i think that its not waiting, if your treestand hunting, its far from, i know i dont walk up to a certain tree on a logging trail and are like, yep the deer will find me here. no , i scout, i lure, i trail camera them. i shed hunt, i know the deer, heck i even have them named, i hunt public and private land, yes i bait deer, yes i use trail cameras, and yes i kill many deer because i love backstraps and all the meat the deer give me. we are bowhunters and hunters all around, we need to stick together and get rid of
PETA, as they are our only enemy. if you want to spot and stalk good for you. have fun, i know many people who do, i could say that you have it easy as all you do i look around until you find one and go down wind and shoot one. i mean i scout, keep my scent to a minimum, trail cam them, bati them in, and kill them, and eat my delicious backstraps and venison. i dont like people who try to seperate hunters into different groups we are all one group scepies, with tons of subspecies. i personally dont like guys who walk around and spot and stalk and put there scent everywhere, and/or pay unbeleive able amounts to kill a deer or even a fenced deer, i also dont care much for people who are totally against baiting, but i dont make a thread about about this now do i. get with the program were all hunters, we control the population and thrive on our delicous backstraps as we have success and the horns that decorate the halls are a bonus to all the fun my family has hunting and checkin the trail cameras.

just my 2 cents

D
still think mine gets the point acrossed to him better then most althou alot of us have great points, does this guy know what he is talking about, even a bit.

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Hunting is killing an animal. That is it. Some make it challenging on themselves and others take the easy road. Some people have patience to sit and others don't. Some are fit and can stalk hours. Others can't. Bottom line is I do it for enjoyment. So I don't give two cents what you think about what I enjoy.

· Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
still think mine gets the point acrossed to him better then most althou alot of us have great points, does this guy know what he is talking about, even a bit.

I still don't get it. :shade:

Anyway, I still don't understand how a lot of bowhunters will say that rifle hunting is not really hunting, yet they will sit in a tree (has been argued as not hunting) and use bait (has been argued as not hunting).

· Registered
11,476 Posts
I made this point once. Talk about stirring the hornet's nest.

I always find if funny when the eastern guys whine about the western guys taking such long shots. These guys that think they are real bowhunters taking 20 yard shots are doing so while sitting in a tree all day. They guy that shot 80 yards was busting his tail all day up and down mountains with not much oxygen. And they say the 20 yard shot was the real hunt? Okay.

How about this? I'll say that hunting in a treestand is hunting as long as the treestanders say that my way of hunting is hunting as well. Sound good?

1 - 20 of 376 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.