Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I have the opportunity to buy a Hoyt Maxxis 35 used for $400 with everything except a sight on it. My understanding that this bow is about 10 years old. I'm new to archery and wanting to get into bow hunting this year, so I don't know what a reasonable price is or if buying a 10 year old bow is a good idea.

My question is: Is this a good idea or a good deal to get a 10 year old bow for $400 or should I consider a brand new RTH bow for around $350?

·
Registered
19,812 Posts
Probably not and certainly not for that price. For the Maxxis, if the bow is not at your draw length and you have to change it, you have to find modules. Modules which are 10 years old and aren't made any more. You might even have to change cams and the entire string set if your draw length happens to fall on a different cam. Hoyt usually had 3 different cam sizes on bows in that era and it made the used market, especially for new shooters, very expensive if you didn't know exactly what you were buying.

Besides that, the price is probably $150 too high. You can find 3-4 year old bows on here for that price in the classifieds. Just have to be a member for 2 weeks and have 20 meaningful posts anywhere on the forum. You don't have to have 20 started threads, just 20 comments that aren't spam. Look for a bow that has rotating draw length modules so you can adjust the draw length without hunting down modules or new cams that may not exist. If they have rotating modules, you also won't need a bow press to change the draw length.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes it’s too high of a price.Does it the draw length fit you? If not you’ll need new cams and possibly new strings. Are you buying it off a friend?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. I was a little bit skeptical about the price because of the age. I would have been buying it from a local bow shop but I'll look into what I can get from the classifieds after making a few more posts.
Probably not and certainly not for that price. For the Maxxis, if the bow is not at your draw length and you have to change it, you have to find modules. Modules which are 10 years old and aren't made any more. You might even have to change cams and the entire string set if your draw length happens to fall on a different cam. Hoyt usually had 3 different cam sizes on bows in that era and it made the used market, especially for new shooters, very expensive if you didn't know exactly what you were buying.

Besides that, the price is probably $150 too high. You can find 3-4 year old bows on here for that price in the classifieds. Just have to be a member for 2 weeks and have 20 meaningful posts anywhere on the forum. You don't have to have 20 started threads, just 20 comments that aren't spam. Look for a bow that has rotating draw length modules so you can adjust the draw length without hunting down modules or new cams that may not exist. If they have rotating modules, you also won't need a bow press to change the draw length.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's for sale at a local bow shop. As far as I know, the draw length fits me. I shot a few bows there and that was one of the more comfortable bows in terms of when I drew it back, I was already lined up with the peep and didn't have to adjust to line up with it.
Yes it’s too high of a price.Does it the draw length fit you? If not you’ll need new cams and possibly new strings. Are you buying it off a friend?

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
Newbs should go to an archery shop for proper bow fitting, or if you have a knowledgeable friend, have them help to walk you thru things, especially when its it's your first bow. That way, the first bow you buy will be the correct fit, and that its not something that you guessed may fit and then not be able to get proper cams for adjustment, or the bow is too harsh of a draw for you, or your draw weight is too much and you cannot start at a lower weight and work your way up with lighter limbs.

I would seriously suggest you do not buy your first bow sight unseen.

If none of the shops around you are open right now, you should spend a great deal of time reading these forums, asking questions, and watching YouTube videos learning some of the basic ins-and-outs of archery. That way when an archery shop does open up, you can go in with an idea of to ask, and what to look for in a bow.

This is the route I would take if I had to do things over in my archery career. In this day and age you have a wealth of information to draw off of, whereas years ago you learned on your own if you didn't have anybody to glean information from, or reputable Pro Shop.

Good luck.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
It's for sale at a local bow shop. As far as I know, the draw length fits me. I shot a few bows there and that was one of the more comfortable bows in terms of when I drew it back, I was already lined up with the peep and didn't have to adjust to line up with it.
Dang, you posted while I was typing up my reply.:mg:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, I agree with what you're saying though. I'll keep checking local bow shops to see what they have. I rifle hunt and have never bow hunted and I'm quickly realizing that bows are a lot more complicated, so I'll definitely run any bow purchase by someone more knowledgeable than me at the bow shop.
Dang, you posted while I was typing up my reply.

·
Ad Meliora
16,832 Posts
If the bow is the correct draw length and poundage for you, then it maybe worth seeing if they can improve the price. Buying from someone who can help your technique and tune your bow is valuable. Sadly, many shops are all but useless. You need someone to verify that your shop is worth paying a bit over market value for a used bow.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
I sold a Maxxis 35 a few years ago for $200 or 225. Can't remember. But that price is too high IMO. You could get a much newer bow for the same price. Plus I wasn't a fan of the XTR cam either. But that is just me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm also new to the sport & in the market for a good quality used bow. MY question is more along the line of technology improvements & if there are significant advancements in a 10 year old bow verses a 5 year or newer bow? In other words, should I limit my search for a bow 5 years old or newer of not exclude older bows?

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
I'm also new to the sport & in the market for a good quality used bow. MY question is more along the line of technology improvements & if there are significant advancements in a 10 year old bow verses a 5 year or newer bow? In other words, should I limit my search for a bow 5 years old or newer of not exclude older bows?
Depends on your budget, but I think there are bows out there older than 10 that would be amazing bows for a beginner. I think Mathews Switchbacks came out in the mid 2000s sometime and they're still a great bow. There were some great Bowtechs and Hoyts back then too that would still be great. I know I'd be as deadly with my 07 Hoyt Vectrix XL as I am with anything I have now. No question. But if your budget is good, you can get a 5 year old bow for a great price if you shop around.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
2013 bowtech experience, no limb problems, super adjustable draw length and great speed for a 7" brace height...you can find them for $350.

if your draw length is over 29" you can even get a used RealmX for $500, i bought two this year for under $550.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it fits you that half the battle. How are the strings are they new? Maybe see if they can throw in a $100 sight out maybe arrows and then pay $400. Still seems high but it’s a better bow than a RTH package. Since it’s at a dealer you may be able to work something out.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Brand new Elite Ritual 33's in the box from a dealer, with warranty....$500 No tax, no shipping costs, no fees....all in. Check the AT Classys.

he has all draw lengths available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What have you seen those Mathews switchbacks sell for nowadays?
Depends on your budget, but I think there are bows out there older than 10 that would be amazing bows for a beginner. I think Mathews Switchbacks came out in the mid 2000s sometime and they're still a great bow. There were some great Bowtechs and Hoyts back then too that would still be great. I know I'd be as deadly with my 07 Hoyt Vectrix XL as I am with anything I have now. No question. But if your budget is good, you can get a 5 year old bow for a great price if you shop around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts