Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy another climbing stand, been hunting out of Vipers and a Razor for years, no complaints. The LW just suits my eye and wondering if it is as nice as the price.

For those that have spent some serious time in one, I would like to know if you would buy it again if you somehow got yours stolen or ran over it with a truck. (sorry....just trying to think of a scenario as to why it would be gone)

After years of doing this my 50 yr old body is looking for the most comfort and functionality available. Not looking for bashing on either Summit or LW, just real life experience.

Thanks in advance.

·
Blue Marlin
3,001 Posts
Yep. Put a summit seat on it then you got "the most comfort".
I have both the climber and lock on. Been using them for a long time and don't see that changing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had a Lone Wolf and sold it after one month. Can't beat the Viper. You will notice a big difference in stability. If possible, find someone that would let you try it out.

I am looking to buy another climbing stand, been hunting out of Vipers and a Razor for years, no complaints. The LW just suits my eye and wondering if it is as nice as the price.

For those that have spent some serious time in one, I would like to know if you would buy it again if you somehow got yours stolen or ran over it with a truck. (sorry....just trying to think of a scenario as to why it would be gone)

After years of doing this my 50 yr old body is looking for the most comfort and functionality available. Not looking for bashing on either Summit or LW, just real life experience.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,404 Posts
Yep I have a hang on alpha 2 and the sit and climb plus bought my son a sit n climb. Great stand and great CS!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've only had 2 climbers, an API and my LW. Absolutely w/o a doubt if anything ever happens that I have to get another stand it'll be a LW but I'll be getting the wide sit and climb these days. I did make a custom seat and can sit all day w/o a problem. I love the way it folds up flat and it's light weight. I figure in another 4-5 years when my little guy is ready for a climber he'll be getting mine and I'll be getting a new LW!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just bought the wide sit and climb a couple of months ago. It folds flat, not too heavy, and I think its really comfortable once you get the seat height set right. I've owned a lot of stands and its all personal preference and what your looking for. what climbs good and is comfortable to one person may be terrible for another. To me I really like it especially for bowhunting.
And bowhuntingoutlet.com is where I got and they are selling the sit and climb wide for $357.00

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I got a LW wide sit & climb last season and immediately put a Hazmore seat on it. It's extremely comfortable and stable. The one complaint I found about the Hazmore seat is that it's cold because it's just a net mesh. So I put three layers of thick acrylic fabric between the top and bottom and one layer over the top. I also had to cut the strap off of the front of the mesh because I couldn't get it to where it wasn't digging into my legs. After tying it all in it's dreamy, and warm! So comfortable I'm not even aware of the seat under my butt.

As for the seat platform, it was making some cracking noises when I would sit or stand so I tightened the arms that hold the climbing straps till they were stiff and it's absolutely silent now. Don't over tighten them though!

I definitely recommend the S & C with a Hazmore seat. All day sits, multiple days in a row are no problem.

·
Vendor
84,690 Posts
Yes and I also have a very good sale on Lone wolf treestands.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I certainly appreciate the comments and time. I will take it under advisement.

·
Vendor
84,690 Posts
From what I hear Summit will be sold in Walmart for 2015 . Not something I wanted to hear .

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i 2nd this.....
LW is way, way more stable especially when you cinch down the stabilizing straps that connect the bottom and top piece. The doe I took this year was feeding in a corn field and was oblivious to my presence. I had a limb between us, so I stood up on the seat portion of my LW, adjusted my stance to get a good base, and made the shot. No way I'd have ever considered trying that out of any other climber I've owned including my summits. As far as comfort goes...if you use the seat that comes with the LW, it is not going to be very comfy. Simply buy a Hazmore rope/mesh seat for 20$ and replace the factory seat with the Hazmore. A quick and simple 20$ mod makes this as comfy or more comfy than any stand out there. For it's packability, quietness, ease to put on tree, and hard to pick out profile, the LW is my most valuable tool for killing deer.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
i have a LW hand climber with molle pack and gorilla seat cusion and the third hand bow holder.. I love hunting out of that thing and can pack it for miles if need be and stay all day when I get there.

·
BowhunterT100
6,542 Posts
love my lone wolf

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Here's something to consider with the original LW seat and the replacement Summit seat: Both have a back. In my opinion and personal experience the seat back is nothing more than a nuisance while climbing, it's something extra to fumble with once you reach your height, and it's something that has the potential to make noise once you're hunting...plus it's unnecessary. I actually cut my seat back off of my field and stream climber for those reasons. I find that leaning on the tree is all the back I need on my treestand. That's why I put a Hazmore seat on my LW sit & climb. It's just a mesh seat, no back. It gets you up higher than the summit or the LW seat and it's extremely comfortable and quiet. Put some fabric between the top and bottom section and over the top and it's also very warm. It's also like $20. If you don't like it throw it away and get the summit seat, no great loss. For me though the Hazmore is the only seat I'll ever use regardless of who makes the stand.

View attachment 2111278 View attachment 2111279

1 - 20 of 26 Posts