Archery Talk Forum banner

Is the NY hog rumor true?

1487 Views 16 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  turkeygirl
Ive been hearing for awhile about how some hogs escaped a hunting preserve and some from a farm and now theyve gone wild. Ive also heard from a friend that in the hills of Cortland theres hogs everywhere. He also said him and his dad are thinking about hitting some state land in Skinnyatlis (SP) because they have a very abundent population of hogs now. Am I the only one who is interested in this? If this is true id like to find a spot to hunt them. I read on another forum a guy shot one last year by Otisco lake while bowhunting deer. If anyone has anymore info please reply. Thanks.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
not sure if there are hogs by "book of thin maps" but they are in Homer/Cortland area.All you need is a small game license and permission from the property owner.I am sure there is some one in Cortland area that knows more about this, and would like them gone.:wink:

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I emailed the DEC about it but the guy was out of town. Im going to send him another email soon to see if he gets back. My Dad hunted a preserve in Homer I think he said it was Contennos? He said thats where he heard of hogs escaping.

· Registered
727 Posts
yea i am from cortland and there are wild pigs running loose. They North of Homer. They haven't spread alot so the area is still pretty small. And yes everyone around here believe that they escaped from the preserve. the story is that they got loose when they were unloading a shipment. You can ask almost any farmer in the area. If they have them the will most likely let you hunt them because they tear up there fields. (Maybe not because deer season is comeing but i don't no) i haven't hunted them but i know people who have.

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i am from cortland and there are wild pigs running loose. They North of Homer. They haven't spread alot so the area is still pretty small. And yes everyone around here believe that they escaped from the preserve. the story is that they got loose when they were unloading a shipment. You can ask almost any farmer in the area. If they have them the will most likely let you hunt them because they tear up there fields. (Maybe not because deer season is comeing but i don't no) i haven't hunted them but i know people who have.
How many would you guess is around that area? From what I hear they breed like crazy and if not taken care of the population will explode. I know their a nuisance but I wouldnt be to upset if they came in to my area.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
Some Russians got out of a pay to hunt operation in northeastern Pa. There are quite a few of them running around in the Pa. State game lands and the surrounding area just south of Owego, N.Y. They escaped a few years ago and are multiplying rapidly. The state wants them shot and I believe allow hunting for them on Sunday. Better confirm that before you do it.

I have been there a couple of times and seen a lot of torn up ground, but haven't seen any pigs. Found a pig trap. It was a square made of steel fence about eight foot square with a sliding door at one corner and a trip on the inside of the opposite corner. Talked to a deputy game warden and he said the feds put it out to do health studies on the pigs.

· Registered
4,586 Posts
:eek:
Some Russians got out of a pay to hunt operation in northeastern Pa. There are quite a few of them running around in the Pa. State game lands and the surrounding area just south of Owego, N.Y. They escaped a few years ago and are multiplying rapidly. The state wants them shot and I believe allow hunting for them on Sunday. Better confirm that before you do it.

I have been there a couple of times and seen a lot of torn up ground, but haven't seen any pigs. Found a pig trap. It was a square made of steel fence about eight foot square with a sliding door at one corner and a trip on the inside of the opposite corner. Talked to a deputy game warden and he said the feds put it out to do health studies on the pigs.
yeah that pay to hunt opperation they escaped from is on my road just 5 miles from my house, i live on the southside of owego. there is a farmer i know that shoots about 10 a year. the hunting operation borders his land. they used to have bison and elk to. once they had a ram but it escaped and it has been running around with a herd of deer ever since, came in our yard a couple tmes. they also had an imeu break loose and it ran across our field while we were doing hay!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.