Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been bowhunting with a compound for 30 years. This year I started thinking about crossbows, body parts wearing out, and the Ravin with its narrow limbs really caught my eye, never really liked the "wideness of crossbows". Didn't really do a whole lot of research just watched a lot of videos and read some forum comments and was going to wait till next spring to buy one. But I was watching Amazon and on Dec 5th they kept lowering the price to $1206 on the R9 so I bought it, thinking if I don't like it I can get my money back without too much loss. Waiting for it to arrive I read about the misfires and nock recall, GREAT! It arrived on Dec 12th. Had my son peek into the box to see if it had the orange nocks and it did. Now i was deciding do I keep it or send it back, never opened it till Christmas morning deciding I'm keeping it. Actually narrower than expected, looks great, feels great. Mounted and leveled the scope, sighted it in and it was just like all the videos. First shot at 70 yards was about 1" off, wow. Didn't shoot any farther than that, shot a lot at 60 yards and it was very accurate, consistent. I don't know anything about crossbows but I know I will be able to kill a deer with this crossbow at 60 yards!
All I read about is how great the Scorpyds are and the Mission Sub-1, I have the first model Z7 from 2010 great bow still use it, but are the Scorpyds and Sub-1's that much better? A lot of post I read people bad mouth RAVIN like they are a pos. Granted if I would have read about the hand injuries that happened to a member on AT before Dec 5th, I'm not sure I would have bought one. Seems like a lot of people don't think the nocks are the problem, I'm not sure either without more details., maybe they are, hopefully RAVIN will find the true cause. I use a lot of caution when loading mine because of the incidents/accidents. So far after approx 60 shots I love it. Now I'm wondering if the RAVIN name will always be frowned upon or the misfires/nocks/incidents will eventually fade away??

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
No, not in my opinion. Over (500) combined shots on my (2) R9’s w/o any safety issues. Personally, i wouldn’t buy an R15 until safety issues are proven to be resolved; actually wouldn’t even then as R9’s fits my needs perfectly!!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I had an R9 and it was a really nice and accurate bow. I think all the problems have been with the R15 and that's what did a number on the reputation of Ravin. They will probably get through this and you will hear the rumble die down eventually if the nocks fix the issue. In the meantime, use plenty of caution as you would with any crossbow and enjoy your new toy.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
My r9 was good alot of shots and no problems with white nocks, after getting bee arrows and getting new rest the roller wouldn't freez up in little ice rain, it shot good. But it didn't shoot any better then my sz 350 and LS 390 but I did like the width of it better and decoking and the crank I like better then rope cocker. Has a nice trigger but the sz are better. The Ravin is alot louder then my other two. Wife killed her biggest buck with the Ravin at 54 yards. All in all the r9 is a nice xbow but needs a couple fixes still at that's just my thoughts and I'm new to xbows. I would not get the R15 yet tho

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being new to xbows also it seems as if they are kinda like compounds. Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt, PSE, all the big names all shoot about the same just comes down to how it fits in your hand. The R9 works fine for me, and yes I'm very careful every time I load an arrow. Hopefully Ravin has solved the problem and they can continue as a company, time will tell. Sounds like Tenpoint is coming out with a similar design.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Love my R15!! It’s a tack driver with the Trijicon AcuPower Scope & HHA on it. The reserved strings with built in nockset from BigBird1 will only make it better as I found when the serving wears a bit & nocks don’t stay quite as tight I had a bit more lateral left to right variation. There isn’t a better trigger or cocking mechanism out there and despite all the negativity one has to treat “every crossbow” with care when loading or unloading an arrow. I’ve viewed YouTube Videos where people are absolutely not following good safety procedure so review your manual/DVD and pay special attention to all safety related advice. Used mine on a western hunt this fall and took nice Pronghorn & Whitetail bucks with it. A scope level is also a good idea because with this crossbow being so narrow, canting it can impede accuracy also. Best of luck with your R9!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Already mounted a level on the scope riser just under the eyepiece, works great when looking thru scope can see the level and thru the scope at same time with little effort.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Would like to see a picture of how your level is mounted.
Thanks. Already mounted a level on the scope riser just under the eyepiece, works great when looking thru scope can see the level and thru the scope at same time with little effort.

·
Registered
126 Posts
yep pics plz

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My questions is how did you find it for 1200$?
Luck! I think it was Dec 5th on Amazon. I loaded it in my basket 5 different times throughout the day because the price kept dropping. Bought it thru PoorFish outdoors on Amazon. Free shipping and no tax! I think Poorfish and Amazon fulfillment had a price war that day, they each kept dropping after the other did. Poorfish sold out and the next day the price was back up to around $1495. Its $1450 today

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I put a level across the limbs to verify this location was the same level and it is, spot on. I used a couple drops of super glue on the bubble level, when I set it down on the cold scope cantilever arm the super glue set up real quick! 2 or 3 seconds! I bought a cheap 12" plastic level from Walmart and removed the 3 bubble levels from it. I used one of the smaller bubble levels.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does everyone's "safety" go to safe after pulling the trigger? I have never seen mine on fire/red except right before the shot.

·
Registered
126 Posts
simple. i like it

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thr Ravin is awesome. The general public has no glue about whats said on these forums.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts