Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't understand why most people don't use it... :confused:

Now, I can understand the information is updated...sometime on a weekly basis, but, why don't more people use the search function before asking questions that have been asked before, sometimes very recently.

Your thoughts?

·
Archer
8,649 Posts

Now, I can understand the information is updated...sometime on a weekly basis, but, why don't more people use the search function before asking questions that have been asked before, sometimes very recently.

Your thoughts?

You should have used the search feature, this question has already been asked numerous times on here. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
It would be hard to come up with very many topics that haven't been discussed 1,000 times. I use the search function a lot but, it is pretty finicky on what actually shows up??? IMHO, it is probably the least impressive feature on this site.

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just curious...

Also glad someone caught that this has been posted before...obviously I am not the only one who uses the search function.

No, quite to the contrary of complaining, I was more curious of why people don't use it. Of course new information is constantly becoming active and updated but, would it be better to add new information to an old thread or start a new thread with new information? That was my main motivation for the question.

I am a member at another site...one which is moderated but barely (freedom of speech riot act sorta thing) and there if you pose a question that has been asked before you are called out, shut down, and sent packing. I don't really agree with the treatment people get there, but, there is a whole lot more searching and a whole lot less posting...which kinda makes you wonder about the functionality and usefull (or uselessness) of the search function.

Either way...different strokes for different folks...I just wanted to see what the bowhunting population here had to say about it.

if you have nothing better to complain about than this, why bother?

·
I only shoot P&Y Antelope
1,212 Posts
Best of both worlds

How about you use the search function and then go study all threads and post about the subject. Then you can give a summary of your finding's to the new thread starter.

This way the search function is being used and you can stop putting "did you use the search function" on all your replies.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I think that since AT is an online place for folks to "meet" and chat people like to ask questions, etc. and get a dialouge going...

Search is great, but there's nobody to "talk to" on a two-year old thread.

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got ya....so become informed and then help people out based on the information that I learned through the search function?

I see how that would definetly be "archers helping archers"! :)

How about you use the search function and then go study all threads and post about the subject. Then you can give a summary of your finding's to the new thread starter.

This way the search function is being used and you can stop putting "did you use the search function" on all your replies.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I think that since AT is an online place for folks to "meet" and chat people like to ask questions, etc. and get a dialouge going...

Search is great, but there's nobody to "talk to" on a two-year old thread.
That's kinda the way I look at this place. Its like walking around a small convention of a couple hundred bowhunters, talking, asking questions, and shooting the bs.

I look at those that post a problem or search for info as an individual problem, looking for individual answers. Those that are looking for universal answers use the search. Not long ago I was looking for information on daypacks. I already knew which ones were going to be recommended, and usually who was gonna do the recommending. I did use the search to find out which ones might have some problems and major complaints. I pm'd some owners of each pack I was interested in. Part of the reason I did it the way I did is because I didn't need 50 opinions, just a couple trusted ones.:wink:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Some people would like to have a quick answer....Also, maybe a new member is interested in being more active in the forum, so he or she might post a question rather than just use the search function.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Some people would like to have a quick answer....Also, maybe a new member is interested in being more active in the forum, so he or she might post a question rather than just use the search function.
Sorry, but I disagree. Most of the newbies I see must have signed up just to post a question they could easily have found. This happens in GenPop just as often. The General Archery Information should be required reading.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If everyone just sat around using the search function for every question or comment, there wouldn't be any new threads, except for when a new bow comes out, or someone shoots a buck. Everything, and I mean everything has already been hashed out around here.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sorry, but I disagree. Most of the newbies I see must have signed up just to post a question they could easily have found. This happens in GenPop just as often. The General Archery Information should be required reading.
Speaking for myself mainly. I like to generate discussion. That's what forums are for. But as always....To each his own. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Search funtction

I'd say the search function gets used by at least a few on here. I have been on here since 6/08 and this is my first post. It seems that any and every question I think of, if searched, is already on here several times. I figured I would post here to get my post count up so I can PM. 1 post down, 1 to go. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Who wants to argue on an old thread? That's why we start new one's. :wink:

·
Registered
969 Posts
I use search engines first, BUT....

Part of the problem is that the search function here is not as good as one would like. It is NOT comparable to Google to search AT for threads.

For example: a) search for threads that speak to "arrow fatigue" or loss of spine due to flexing and breaking/streatching carbon fibers after shooting XX number of times. I have shot 5,000 or more times per year on the same half-dozen arrows. That is about 840 shots per carbon arrow. At how many shots do I retire these arrows? I selected my arrow spine based on the knowledge that some loss would occur, so I bought the "spine rating" at the top of the range for my weight bow.

b)Has anyone heard or read any manufacturer recommendations for "retiring" arrows?

The AT search function is not that great of a tool for searches like those above. Some folks may be lazy, or just in a hurry... but I feel that it is not very helpful for "phrase searches."

Campo may I suggest that we ask folks to try and list problems (like poor in phrase searching) and also posting solutions in using the AT search function here, so that at some time they could be addressed?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Search here does not work well. You can find what you need, but you have to look through so much junk that it is really frustrating sometimes. I think if the search on here worked better more people would use it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts