Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I realized that I had a tear in my fletchings both of them one was in the back like the glue came off from arrow to fletching, and the other was torn about halfway on one fletching..... Is this enough to throw your arrows off up to 6 inches at 20 yards????? And also how to I refletch these arrows to shoot the same, or do I have to re-nocktune them?

I know I'm an idiot for not noticing it sooner

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Will make noise, and reduce accuracy.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I put a lot of arrows through my fletches. I use the 2" QS's so there's a lot of fletch to hit. I wouldn't shoot groups, but I mostly shoot at 40+ yards so I like to see how I'm shooting, and groups are fun. Nothing makes me more accurate than having some nice fletches to shoot at.:wink: Anyway, sometimes I keep using those arrows with a torn fletch, but if they start to wander away from the bullseye....I replace the torn one immediately.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Are they feathers or vanes? My experiance is that with vanes it hurts accuracy a bit, but with beat up feathers it isn't nearly as bad.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Last year my "go to" hunting arrow had a torn blazer. Never refletched it because it always found its mark, even with BHs.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Ive had blazers with slight tears and they shot fine. If it is torn where it attaches the shaft then they fly like crap.

·
Registered
498 Posts
why would you buy an archery upset for 1000.to 1300.$ a doz. arrows at 120.00$ plus and Not replace a .30 vane or fletch? >>>>---->

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
In my experience, you can just notch out the vane with some scissors and it'll quit fluttering and won't affect accuracy. That's great for practice arrows. Hunting arrows...I'd replace them, personally.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
In my experience, you can just notch out the vane with some scissors and it'll quit fluttering and won't affect accuracy. That's great for practice arrows. Hunting arrows...I'd replace them, personally.
Agreed. I'm starting to think about going to feathers as the vanes I've been shooting get rippled or cut during practice and then they don't shoot worth a darn. Feathers would keep working.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts