Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just ordered a V3X 33 at 85% letoff and 31" DL. I'm a little bit older and don't need my shoulder jerked around. Will this be a smooth drawing bow? My only point of comparison is a Mathews HTR NoCam.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Todd

·
Registered
389 Posts
Smoothness of the draw, for me, is directly related to appropriate draw weight. I can draw back 70lbs, but it’s not very smooth. I can draw back 65lbs, and it’s smoother. I can draw back 60lbs and it’s smooth as butter.

That said, 80% let off mods feel smoother than 85% for me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I have both the V3X 29 and 33, and have had each of the previous model year bows from Mathews too. The hump in the draw cycle is a little further back, which makes for an abrupt drop in to the valley of the cam. All that said, it's not awful and I don't think you will have any issues. Making a pound or two in draw weight adjustment might be a good way to become accustomed to the difference in the draw cycle from the HTR No Cam. In my opinion, I would call it "smooth". That's based off of shooting compound bows for the past 25+ years, some of which weren't "shoulder-friendly" by any stretch of the imagination. I think you'll enjoy the new bow, and wont have any issues.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I shot target bows exclusively for years and have no issues with the draw cycle on the 33. I find it pleasant and not too difficult. YMMV.

we’ve now got two threads on the same question. I suggest deleting one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Smoothness of the draw, for me, is directly related to appropriate draw weight. I can draw back 70lbs, but it’s not very smooth. I can draw back 65lbs, and it’s smoother. I can draw back 60lbs and it’s smooth as butter.

That said, 80% let off mods feel smoother than 85% for me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Is it because of the hump or the entire draw cycle?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey guys,

I just ordered a V3X 33 at 85% letoff and 31" DL. I'm a little bit older and don't need my shoulder jerked around. Will this be a smooth drawing bow? My only point of comparison is a Mathews HTR NoCam.

Todd
I tried the NoCam. It was about the smoothest bow I've ever shot, better than Switchback and SBXT. Tuned a couple of different bare shafts right there at the shop and really wanted one but they were so slow! I have a V3, so can't say for sure but you only get out what you put in. I have found the higher the IBO rating the harder it will be to pull, but you can pull less weight for same results. Also, my V3 is the best drawing bow I have ever owned but part of it is that I finally got the right draw length cam and everything just right. That made a huge difference. You will find the V3X has a sharper drop off, but if everything else is right it should not be a problem. Getting the right cam is critical. My Hoyt bows have virtually no drop off and I would say they are really "smooth" and compare them more to the NOCam but it was even nicer. They feel like more work thru the entire draw cycle and seem to have a shorter valley but that might be because I have never set them up as well as my V3 is.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Hey guys,

Todd

Don't be afraid to try an 80% module. For me, it made my v3x 33 better in every way. Completely takes out the "dump" into the valley at the end of draw cycle. This alone can make the the entire draw cycle feel much,much smoother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts