Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have two lightweight 40-50# bows that I enjoy shooting. (1) A Diamond Edge SB-1 and (2) a Mathews Avail. The SB-1, loaded, weighs in at 4.2#. The Avail, loaded, weighs in at 4.8#. I like the SB-1 because it is so light, and I like the Avail because it is a smooth, fine-shooting bow - I wish the Avail was as lightweight as the SB-1.

My draw length is 26”.

So, I began to wonder if there is a flagship bow out there somewhere that is, say, under 3 pounds, bare, that shoots as good as my Mathews Avail.

If you think you know of one, please let me know.

Here are the specs on the bows I have (bare bow weight and loaded weight with sight, rest, etc. – I don’t use stabilizers). I didn’t weight my bows bare, I went online and looked at their specs, but I did weight them loaded.

BTW, the loaded variances is probably do to the type of sight or rest that's on the bow.

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 10.05.27 PM.png

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
680 Posts
Diamond black ice or iceman is close, bowtech destroyer is close.

Bowtech carbon icon is lighter but not a flagship. Some hoyt bows are prob in that range but I don’t keep up with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diamond black ice or iceman is close, bowtech destroyer is close.

Bowtech carbon icon is lighter but not a flagship. Some hoyt bows are prob in that range but I don’t keep up with them.

I just looked at the Bowtech Carbon Icon specs, and it is 3.2 lbs. That got my attention.

The Diamond Black Ice is 3.6#

The Diamond Iceman is 4.2#

·
Registered
680 Posts
I never shot an iceman but I liked my black ice a lot. There was an iceman today or yesterday for $250. I haven’t looked up an icon in classifieds.

Good luck on the hunt, you’ll find something nicer that’s comparable

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have few complaints about my 2018 Xpedition Xcentric Pro 7 @ 3.9 lbs. The Thresher is 3.7 lbs and they have a good number of pre 2020 bows around 3.9 lbs.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies. It looks, so far, like that Bowtech Carbon Icon at 3.2 lbs has caught my eye. Only it's not 40-50. Lowest draw wt is 50. I shoot my bows at around 37.5#. So, I'm still looking.

The same is true for the PSE carbon (air) stealth, lowest poundage is 50.

If you have any more suggestions, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did run across a PSE Carbon Air Stealth EM weighing in at 3.4#. It's draw wt is 40#. That's even lighter than my SB-1. This may be the bow I'm looking for. Still researching.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
I like elk!
18,523 Posts
I would never consider owning a Bowtech ‘carbon’...
They are not carbon, but a thermo plastic composite.
Those plastic risers are known to warp, albeit with the Overdrive cams and higher poundage.

Your best bet for quality and light weight is a Carbon Air, Decree IC or maybe a Xpedition Mountaineer X

·
Registered
436 Posts
Bowtech eva shockey.

My gf shoots a 40-50 pound carbon stealth at 38 pounds... shoots awesome and very light. Keep your accessories as light as possible too.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those plastic risers are known to warp, albeit with the Overdrive cams and higher poundage.

Your best bet for quality and light weight is a Carbon Air, Decree IC or maybe a Xpedition Mountaineer X
I didn't know about the Bowtech Carbon thing. Good thing I don't shoot higher poundages.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Oh man, this looks good!
My girlfriend shoots the Carbon Rose with 40 lb limbs. It’s a great shooting fast and light little bow. The 302 IBO is figured at the bow’s max DL and DW of 27/60, so calculated out with the normal 30/70 that would be a 352 IBO. I need to have her shoot it through my chrono one of these days and see what kind of speeds she’s actually getting.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My girlfriend shoots the Carbon Rose with 40 lb limbs. It’s a great shooting fast and light little bow. The 302 IBO is figured at the bow’s max DL and DW of 27/60, so calculated out with the normal 30/70 that would be a 352 IBO. I need to have her shoot it through my chrono one of these days and see what kind of speeds she’s actually getting.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
The more affordable options are the BowTechs, Carbon Icon, Knight, Rose, Eva Shockey; There were issues of some of the models and warping, but not as common as the reports on AT would lead some to believe [only in that you rarely/never see threads like "My brand X bow didn't blow a limb or warp or splinter or whatever...]. With the Icon it was my understanding the limbs were available as 50, 60, and 70 max, so the 50# should easily go down to 40# and perhaps a couple pounds less with some minor harness tweaks.

The more expensive option, and the true carbon riser, would be the PSEs, and I don't know about the carbon models, but I've owned two "more modern" PSEs and they were both easily turned down nearly 15#, and had a 50# for a while I shot down in the upper 30s. Might get the same adjustability in te carbon line, just don't know.

·
Registered
51,169 Posts

Spreading AT rumors Spike? Sold Bowtech carbons for years and have never seen one warp.
OP best "flagship" bow your looking for is the PSE Stealth.:wink::wink:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts