Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there's a rig of some sort that you can put your bow into and pull the string to your draw length which will give you a reading of how many lbs it's holding.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of as the main component.

Someone needs to build a C shaped rig that secures the bow on one end and attaches that scale on the other. Have the 2 pieces be connected by an adjustable rod that can be screwed to make longer and longer for precision draw length.

It would be good to check the accuracy of your limbs since they get weaker and weaker over time and use.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
The best and most acurate method to determine actual draw-weight at your draw-length is to first determine your draw-length to a set anchor and then scale the bow to that draw-length.

If you do not like the standard scale, you could use this...

Bow Draw-Weight Scale

...but not a scale that I personally would use.

As for bows getting "weaker and weaker over time and use," that will only hold true if a limb or the limbs are failing due to faulty construction and/or improper care/storage. I have 2 bows that are 40 and 41 years old and they still are as strong (draw weight) as the day they were made.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I agree with WindWalker on that. I have a 40 year old grizzly that weighs the same on scales as the day it was made

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If limbs never got weaker, then no one would ever unstring their bows.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We unbrace our bows as to not have a loaded weapon lying around.
It's not really loaded until you nock an arrow. It's more like leaving a gun around with the safety turned off and no bullets inside.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
It's not really loaded until you nock an arrow. It's more like leaving a gun around with the safety turned off and no bullets inside.
its still loaded, its a spring under tension. In the wrong hands, very dangerous. dont think so? hold a strung bow and cut the string :D

·
Registered
834 Posts
string or unstring

If you have a self bow, unstringing, rests the bow and prevents the loss draw and string follow. For the laminated fiberglass, I leave mine strung and hanging by the string in a horizontal fashion while I am day to day actively shooting. for long periods or if folks are around i unstring for safety, not because of the loaded bow factor, just dangerous if folks want to dry fire a bow fooling around with what they dont know. anyway thats my imho. Gar.

·
Registered
173 Posts
my two recurve crossbows never get unstrung. One is 15 years old, and I think the string has stretched some. They are aluminum prods.

I unstring everything else because it's 1. how I was taught and 2. just safer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts