Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
32,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious and I know thats probably a big No-No with trad shooting but what about someone with authers-itus etc? It would be better than not shooting at all, would it not?

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,194 Posts
If you are shooting NFAA you will have to shoot with the compound bows. I am not sure about the other organizations but it is probably the same.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
NFAA allows a chew-strap for people with hand disabilities, so you basically hold the string using some leather in your mouth. All release users shoot with the compounds and I'm pretty sure all the other organizations are the same.

-Grant

·
Registered
20,544 Posts
Dave -

It's what these guys are saying. With most orgs, if you show up with release, a self bow and wooden arrows, you're in the compound class.

Viper1 out.

·
32,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw a photo recently, and I think it was a bow for sale, but there was a D-loop on the string.

·
Registered
20,544 Posts
Dave -

As long as you're not planning on competing, you can do whatever you like. Releases where used on stickbows (both target and hunting) long before compounds came out.

Viper1 out.

·
32,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave -

As long as you're not planning on competing, you can do whatever you like. Releases where used on stickbows (both target and hunting) long before compounds came out.

Viper1 out.
Tony, you got to be fertilyzing me! I was a recurve shooter back in the 50s and 60s and I don't ever recall seeing or hearing of a release, even tho I thought it would be a super idea!

·
Registered
20,544 Posts
Dave -

There were several kinds back in the 60's. The Black Widow strap release (page 367) was one and there was something called a ledge (had other names too) that had NO MOVING PARTS. it was barely a hook (and I mean BARELY) that engaged the string and released it by a slight rotation, Scary for the guy shooting it and the guy next to him).

Same rules though, you showed up with a bare bow and a release and you shot against the sight guys.

Viper1 out.

·
32,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave -

There were several kinds back in the 60's. The Black Widow strap release (page 367) was one and there was something called a ledge (had other names too) that had NO MOVING PARTS. it was barely a hook (and I mean BARELY) that engaged the string and released it by a slight rotation, Scary for the guy shooting it and the guy next to him).

Same rules though, you showed up with a bare bow and a release and you shot against the sight guys.

Viper1 out.
I sure didn't know about a release back then but I was stout enough and my fingers were tough also from all the shooting, so I didn't consider it......No way, I would shoot a stickbow and compete with the wheel bows. I want to shoot with the traditional shooters at the club tournaments around here.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have three or four vintage strap releases. They were given to me by a guy that shot competition in the 60s.

I have a hog hunt coming up in 2 1/2 weeks and am nursing an badly inflamed ring finger on my string hand. Will probably make up a new string this week and have the local wheel bow shop set up a loop so I can try my kids release.

·
32,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have three or four vintage strap releases. They were given to me by a guy that shot competition in the 60s.

I have a hog hunt coming up in 2 1/2 weeks and am nursing an badly inflamed ring finger on my string hand. Will probably make up a new string this week and have the local wheel bow shop set up a loop so I can try my kids release.
I guess shooting that way is better than not shooting at all.....I have some soreness in the middle finger of the three but with some rest it will go away.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I shoot with a guy that uses one because of joint problems. He just does not turn in his score card. I havent seen a class (trad) in any of the shoots i have been to.

·
32,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I shoot with a guy that uses one because of joint problems. He just does not turn in his score card. I havent seen a class (trad) in any of the shoots i have been to.
Here in Bama I've been going to two different clubs and on Sunday, the trad guys show up and shoot the course. Its a whole new ball game but it looks like something I'd like to do!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts