Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son took up barebow compound finger shooting two years ago when he was 16. Any other young folks joining the ranks to keep this style of shooting alive? It is interesting to note that the NAA Outdoor Championships featured finger shooting for the masters division only.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm 30 and have just switched to finger shooting. I think a number of guys in my generation are sticking with compounds, but moving back to the "basics" and stripping all that stuff we've been told we "needed." I think it's a challenge and adventure thing. Men aren't supposed to be raised by women and stuck in cubicles.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm 48 and have been shooting fingers since I was 18, never even tried a release. I thought we were a dying breed, good to hear there's some new blood still coming in to our ranks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
My 8 yr old grandson is a brilliant Bowhunter with his Stacey compound, his 15 yr old brother was as good but then hormones kicked in and girls became more interesting ..... I'm hoping he wants to impress her so have a bow set up waiting ..... still

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
As a P.E. teacher I have a wonderful opportunity to teach archery. We are a very small School and don't have the budget to order a genesis or other beginners compound but we all remember those old fiberglass bows!! Yuck.. hopefully gonna save up and purchase a Mathews genesis out of pocket soon. :)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I'm 38 and have shot fingers for 28 years. I dabbeled with a release a few times, but never in a serious manner. I started my wife and kids off with fingers, and thats all they know.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I have been shooting fingers for 40+ years now. I have shot release aids for a while. Shot scores in the 300's to fill buckets of score cards. It was just to easy at the time. Now since I have Bursitis in the right shoulder I can no longer shoot release aids. I went back to finger style shooting.
Trying to get these new youg people to step back from all the hype of super high speeds and carbon arrows and all the bells and whistles is very difficult.
It takes a strong finger shooter to challenge these speedsters to a pop and a candybar. And then win.
It takes a lot of dedication and practice to acheive a repitive finger release style. I have nocked on the 300 door a couple of times. Best I have done is 299 - 45X's with fingers. And now I have shot 299 - 39X's from my power wheelchair. I will shoot a 300 this coming winter season in competition.
Just keep up the faith that these young kids will at least try finger shooting just for fun. Make it simple for them and let them have fun!!
Talk to you all later.
Myya

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
As soon as my Son gets out of the Navy, he will be right back at it with me. He also just found out he (they) are having a baby, so there is another one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Glad to hear It won't die with us middle agers.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'm 25 & I'm the only finger shooter I know personally, heh.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
If there is, I think it will be because of NASP. Otherwise I think it's just a matter of time till it will be easier to find a Bigfoot than a finger dog.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I'm interested in what bow cases you people are using for those longer ATA bows. Most cases now are for short to midlength bows, and it seems the choices for a 41'' or longer bow are few...... :coffee:

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Then why didn't you start a thread on bow cases?

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
I just turned 41 a couple days ago and am a wanna be finger shooter. :D I am gonna be using the release this year but hopefully by next year, if all goes as planned, I will have a couple finger bows and the release bows will be at someone elses house. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
These archery forums are great, but the down side is there are always a few negative people looking for a fight.
Yes, and it's jerks who hijack threads.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I will be 56 in Dec. and as long as I can remember I have shot a bow and it's alway been fingers. My son just couldn't grasp the aiming part of shooting fingers and went with a sight and release, oh well I tryed...LOL
I just got my wife shooting after 25 years of me trying and she shoots fingers, and dang good at it too.
All the ppl on my wifes side of the family that shoot all shoot fingers too. There is a total of 6 of us.
Don.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Sometimes I don't know where my brain is. There IS a new generation of finger shooters, they just don't have wheels on their bows. Took these pics at Yankton when I shot the USA ARchery target Championships....Makes me wish I had stuck with a stick back in the early seventies when these damn wheel things really got popular.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
I'm 27 and except for a year dabbling with a release fired compound I've been shooting fingers since I was 6. Never really liked more then one string on my bows though.

-Grant

1 - 20 of 29 Posts