Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having to add twists to my cables (Tour) and take out a few on my string to increase my draw length. I shoot the standard cams and 30" module, and really would prefer not to go to the esx cams and 30.5" module. I am now at 30 5/16" on my draw board and I think I'm really close (maybe 30 3/8ths is right). I have new strings coming to compare, maybe the old strings were off a little to start, I don't know. With that information if I find out that I need 12 twists on the cables, and 2.5 un-twists on the string, and the bow shoots and tunes well would I be better off to order slightly shorter cables, give the string maker the info, and let them decide to proper length. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
No rule of thumb that is accurate,depends on length of string,axle to axle of bow,length of yolks if any

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the reasons I even thought about it was because of the Jack Wallace videos. He mentioned that he gets his cables and strings as close as possible, because adding or removing twists can affect the servings (ie separating), and I have had problems with this (although could have been the strings). I thought 12 twists was a lot, but he only negative I'm getting is an increase in draw weight. I like to shoot at 46# and I am at 48# with 2 turns out on the limb bolts (max recomended) Thanks.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

·
(aka lug nut)
49,651 Posts
I am having to add twists to my cables (Tour) and take out a few on my string to increase my draw length. I shoot the standard cams and 30" module, and really would prefer not to go to the esx cams and 30.5" module. I am now at 30 5/16" on my draw board and I think I'm really close (maybe 30 3/8ths is right). I have new strings coming to compare, maybe the old strings were off a little to start, I don't know. With that information if I find out that I need 12 twists on the cables, and 2.5 un-twists on the string, and the bow shoots and tunes well would I be better off to order slightly shorter cables, give the string maker the info, and let them decide to proper length. Thanks.

STEP 1: TWEAK your EXISTING string.

STEP 2: TWEAK your EXISTING cables.

Get your bow tuned as TIGHT as you can, for arrow groups.

IGNORE any serving separation.

When you have YOUR string tuned PERFECTLY,
when you have YOUR cables tuned PERFECTLY...

now,
figure out a way to STRETCH your string to 100 lbs.

PURCHASE a quality spring scale.

THIS IS WHERE A draw board comes in SUPER DUPER handy.

I use my draw board to measure strings and cables.

Soo,
TWIST AWAY,
or UN-TWIST away...your CURRENT string,
your CURRENT Cables
and get the ABOSOLUTE TIGHTEST groups you can.

Then,
measure at 100 lbs,
and then provide the measurements...
to your FAVORITE custom string makers.

So,
your custom string maker can make you a NEW bowstring, that is NOT under-twisted
and a NEW set of cables that are NOT under-twisted

so your NEW bowstring will be NOT OVER-twisted
so your NEW set of cables will NOT be OVER-twisted.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Allen. That's what I was looking for. I have a draw board, and can check my cables, but I will have to make a little modification (make it longer) for the string. I need to get a better scale like the one you use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts