Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting some customers asking for basic plain jane strings and cables and it has me wondering if there is a need for this. How many of you don't care about fancy colors, prestretching or peep rotation? I'm thinking I may be able to do sets in the $30-$35TYD range for something like this. The downsides I can see would be longer shoot in time and maybe some peep rotation. Just throwing this out there looking for some opinions.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Those same customers will give you an ulcer, after they notice peep twisting and stretching throwing a bow out of tune. They will be at your door cussing you out over poorly made product and in the end , they will destroy your reputation as a string maker.

Make a quality product , charge additional money for your time and effort. Save yourself a headache.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Those same customers will give you an ulcer, after they notice peep twisting and stretching throwing a bow out of tune. They will be at your door cussing you out over poorly made product and in the end , they will destroy your reputation as a string maker.

Make a quality product , charge additional money for your time and effort. Save yourself a headache.
Yeah, don't do it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I agree. Even if you would say there is no warranty it's not worth it. You're gonna get some people bad mouthing your strings even though you're just trying to help people out. Just keep putting out the great strings like you have been and don't worry about the low end stuff.

·
Registered
559 Posts

+1
I own an auto repair shop, and this same statement holds true. A customer that wants cheaper parts, is the first customer to come stomping in the door, cursing me up and down because a part fails. Even though it was totally explained to them that these parts THEY WANTED were cheaper and not very good quality.
Best to avoid selling a lesser quality item altogether.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I've been getting some customers asking for basic plain jane strings and cables and it has me wondering if there is a need for this. How many of you don't care about fancy colors, prestretching or peep rotation? I'm thinking I may be able to do sets in the $30-$35TYD range for something like this. The downsides I can see would be longer shoot in time and maybe some peep rotation. Just throwing this out there looking for some opinions.
i dont want for you to give any trade secrets, but whats the extra cost for prestretched? plain jane string colors are fine, but prestretched are a must. i would rather pay 5 to 10 bucks more or whatever it is for prestretched than fight peep rotation and longer shoot in time.

Tony

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

I haven't had to buy new strings yet.... But from a consumer stand point, while the lower cost is appealing, at the same time I know I would rather not deal with the nuances of a "basic string and cable"> I'm okay with paying more money knowing that when the string/cable is installed it will be hassel free.

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a customer that gets a bunch of strings from me built in this nature. They work great for his purpose and it got me thinking last night. I can build these in half the time it takes me to build my normal strings. All the little stuff adds up quick from a time stand point. I do agree that it will lead to more headaches then it's worth. After all these would still have the 60X name on them and that's all people will see in the end.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
I had factory strings on my 09 Bengal. They were horrible! Peep constantly twisted, and by the end of a long shooting session I had to move my sight due to string stretch. And believe me, I let people know about it too. I put a "good" set on and all that went away. Selling non-prestretched strings is just asking for a huge amount of negative feedback. If people want $35 strings, let some supplier from China receive the badmouthing, not you.

·
Banned
9,743 Posts
I have a customer that gets a bunch of strings from me built in this nature. They work great for his purpose and it got me thinking last night. I can build these in half the time it takes me to build my normal strings. All the little stuff adds up quick from a time stand point. I do agree that it will lead to more headaches then it's worth. After all these would still have the 60X name on them and that's all people will see in the end.
I would just continue to do it for the one...and forget about the many....

all are right...this will cause you headaches in the end.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
I used to buy strings like that from a local guy from black or dual color 452X. Two colors I'd pay a little more for, but it is more time. I'd stretch them myself and put the center servings on the way I wanted them, as far as length and nock fit goes. He closed up shop, though. So I may be interested. :D

But most guys don't want to get that involved, and those guys NEED strings that they can just throw on and forget. Or you'll end up with the headaches mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
One of my wholesalers sold some of those cheapy strings. They stopped after being bite soooo many times. Even some of the best strings have people bad mouth them if they put their name on it. The Winneres Choice strings that come with a bow, is not the same as from there custom shop. And the quality is not the same, but they have their name on them. Some companies put a different name on their production strings vs. their custom strings.

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
Easy fix Bro......Put a disclaimer in your add about the potential issues with strings built this way. If a customer wants them, make sure they are aware. Never turn down money !! Not this day and age.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
We here at ArcheryTalk are in the minority. We demand quality. The average "archer" is little more than a weekend warrior and would be hard pressed to shoot 100 arrows in a year. Some of the bows I see aren't worth the cost of a premium stringset, literally.

I may be in the minority here, but I say go for it. There is a big market for "standard" stringsets. You probably wouldn't sell as many online, but in a shop, they'd outsell a premium string 3 to 1.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Nothing wrong with offering something like this in this economy. You might want to consider another label for the basic strings, kind of like Mathews labeling on the Mission line of bows. Just a thought. Good luck.

·
Liking Life Unlimited
937 Posts
If you do it use a different brand name, my advice tho, stick with producing a quality product. Build your brand/business by reputation and quality, that lasts longer than a quick buck. Reputation and quality means repeat business which is the lifeblood of a healthy company. Farm and raise a herd rather than hunt for the quick kills.

Just what works in my experience of building businesses.

Hth

Dean.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Don't do it! It would be like buying a 6 cylinder lingenfelter Corvette. No matter how good you make the strings it just takes away from your name to offer economy rates.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Id like to see something similar to a basic string such as a one color prestreached string. Not into the multicolored strings Im a hunter only and 2 or 3 colored strings are pointless to me

·
Lowered expectations
17,095 Posts
I like the single color string as well. So much easier to rotate the peep in the string by switching a strand or two over, and it looks like crap if you do that with a 2-color string.

But the quality needs to be there. Offer a discount for single colors if you want, but add my vote for not scrimping on quality.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
around my area cheap strings are the norm..but not for me! i guess the guys shooting tubed peeps and believe in them things would buy them, funny how guys still replace there strings with Zebras even though the shop will order WC for over 100 bucks...now i know why.:teeth:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts