Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just caught this video on youtube, I've seen some stuff from Drave's before and liked his videos. But this video made me cringe a little. Is this an acceptable way to to do simple tasks such as string changes, adding twists, moving peeps, etc.??? If so, why are so many people (myself included) so worried about having a portable bow press?

I guess in theory this method will work just fine, but do you need to worry about damage?? Can this be a good method for fixing your bow in the field?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
people do it all of the time, its your bow if it gets scratched up or something then that is your responsibility. But it has been done for years, I do it to my bows. I don't have any of the bows with the pre-loaded limbs and the skeletinized cams. I think I would be real leary of pinning the cam on an Omen or something like that

Back a few months ago there was a long discussion on this very same video if you want to look it up.

·
Registered
735 Posts
lol..awesome way to void your warrantee. and get hurt. their was also recently a vid showing how stupid this method is. and a guy lost part of a finger from it slipping. a pro shop shouldnt e showing the cheep out wrong way to work on a bow. do as he wants, but to show others its ok is plain dumb.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
one thing I didn't like hearing him say,...is that it, "puts the bow under a lot less stress"...that's true, not necessarily applicable. it might the bow as a whole under less stress, because you're not loading the riser with a fully compressed set of limbs, as it and the limbs would be when the bow is shot,.... but the loads put on the end of the limb where the pinning is done, specifically right at the axle hole is much greater than when pressed in a normal bow press. that pin, acts as a fulcrum, that multiplies the load through the axle hole.
that said, I have done this with all of my bow from time to time, when I didn't have a press, and didn't feel like driving to the club for a quick peep adjustment or cable tweek, or a twist of my string...with no bad results, but it did make me nervous as heck doing it... I understand the stresses involved and the strain it puts on the axle hole area is immense. I also know exactly what i'm doing and wouldn't suggest doing it this way, to someone that isn't fully knowledgeable about working on bows.
as said earlier, i'm a bit surprised someone would actually publicly demonstrate this.
on a lighter note,..... maybe he was paid by Mathews, to generate a sort of reduction in warranty claims by using voided servicing procedures !

·
Beer Whisperer
11,228 Posts
Back in the day, lol, Burley Hall showed us how to do that with our old High Country Supremes that had rubbery fast flite strings and super preloaded limbs. Dang things were fast but went out of time after about every 50 shots. Lol got pretty good at holding the draw just before the string hit the cams so we could make adjustments mid shoot. I actually carried a screwdriver with rubber tubing over it in my quiver.

That said, I sure am glad strings today are much much better and a good set rarely needs much tweaking after they settle in because I'm not doing that to any of my new bows.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hmmmm not sure I would want to use an allen key to stop the bow flying apart but to be honest it looks pretty secure. If I took my bow into a shop for a string change and they did that I would however go mental! If my bow gets scratched because someone got lazy about doing it properly I want that someone to be me not someone who should know better :D

That said I still don't like the guys method. I was sceptical about portable bow presses but couldn't afford an EZ press or similar press so I took the plunge and bought a Bowmaster portable press and it works fine. Have changed a full set of strings, fitted and removed peeps (numerous times until I realised I just didn't like peeps), string silencers, used it for tuning the bow and was able to remove and refit the limbs. Used it a lot in fact! No issues for me.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Back in the day, lol, Burley Hall showed us how to do that with our old High Country Supremes that had rubbery fast flite strings and super preloaded limbs. Dang things were fast but went out of time after about every 50 shots. Lol got pretty good at holding the draw just before the string hit the cams so we could make adjustments mid shoot. I actually carried a screwdriver with rubber tubing over it in my quiver.

That said, I sure am glad strings today are much much better and a good set rarely needs much tweaking after they settle in because I'm not doing that to any of my new bows.
Took the words from my mouth. Did it all the time back in the day, and I'd do it again if I had to.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'll stick with my bow master. At least until I decide to upgrade to a EZ press.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I would never let this idiot touch my bow.
Back in the Burly Hall days at High Country we used this allen wrench method, but the cams back then were not machined out as much as the are today.
So today I would not do this.
He also does not have a clue how to properly install a new set of strings. if those were custom strings that came in at a specific length then he would be loosing twist by letting them flop around with out the ends tied together.

·
Beer Whisperer
11,228 Posts
I see there are a few of us from back in the day. Lol!

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Isn't he the same guy that draws the bow w fingers and no arrow? I personally wouldn't go to his shop

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the same bow and some lean and no access to a press and i'm trying to figure out if this is an ok way to fix it but the replies in this thread are so back and fourth it's hard to tell.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
I have the same bow and some lean and no access to a press and i'm trying to figure out if this is an ok way to fix it but the replies in this thread are so back and fourth it's hard to tell.
Purchase a portable press that will work on your bow.

The BowMaster portable press is $39.99.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/bowmaster-portable-bow-press.html

The L brackets are another $17.99.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/bowmaster-portable-bow-press.html

The L brackets convert your Bowmaster portable press,
into a portable LIMB TIP press.

USE a limb tip press, even a PORTABLE one.

Do NOT use a skinny allen wrench to hold the SPOKES of your cam,
for pressing your bow.

The SPOKES of a cam,
like the SPOKES of a bicycle wheel
are designed to keep the RIM of the wheel in a round shape.

The SPOKES of a bicycle wheel are not designed for SIDE LOAD.

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
If you don't mind voiding your warranty then go for it. If something happens where a limb is damaged or you damage the cam, it'll be on your dime that it's fixed. I'd tell them when you call them on the phone that their buddy Drave told you it was okay. I'm sure they love him showing stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
If you happen to be on a hunt in some remote area and are not near a press, having this knowledge would be a good thing. I've seen it done and have never seen anyone screw up their cam or limbs.

I've used this technique on my single cam bows for years, especially if I doing some minor adjusting on my cables. As the video showed, if you are going to be working on the string, you need someone to help..if I'm by myself, I would be using my portable press to work on the string.

While it can done on a single cam bow, I would never attempt on a dual cam bow.

As some have warned, if you mess your bow up doing this, you have to answer for it.

...but again, not a bad idea to know this procedure if you need to make adjustments.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The minute I saw the title of this post I was wondering if it refered to Draves Archery.
And yea I was correct

1 - 20 of 26 Posts