Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this is normal serving wear or if something is wrong. Is there anything that might cause this like too many twists? This rides over the dl mod, but everything seems very smooth in there. The bow is a 2011 PSE Vendetta XL. The strings are less than 6 months old, but I usually shoot a few dozen times per day. Sorry the pics aren't the best. The serving is basically gone exposing the string underneath. I really don't want to put new cables on it right now cause it is shooting sweet and deer season starts Saturday. Should I just ease back on shooting and let it go? There are no broken strands. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a Truth 2 and the draw length module has a pretty aggressive turn in it and after about a year it separates the serving there to. I wouldnt shoot it anymore, if it does that to the serving think what it will do to the string. You can probably find a shop to reserve if for you as long as you didnt damage any of the strands.

·
Waiting on Season
14,905 Posts
yes a shop will reserve it for you should pretty cheap. shop here charges $8.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
if you want you could pull it together with a allen wrench if your really scared about it, or if a shop isn't really close.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
If you are worried about it, then I would get it re-served. Mine looks like that, and I'm not too worried. Bows with aggressive cams tend to do that.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Make sure that the outer edges of the string track on the cam itself don't curve or burr inward right where it meets up with the module. That was the case with my 2011 cam. Had to open it up a little. Got a new cable sent from PSE to a dealer but have not had time to pick it up yet. Bending it out a little and coating the problem spot on the cable with a little super glue has been bullet proof. If it is all smooth then you may need to add or take out a little cam lean so the cable slides in there just right at roll over. Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My past experience, i had serving seperation too. couple of things you might wanna look at.
1. Cam Lean.
2. Make sure all you specs are correct.
A. Strings correct length
B. Cables
C. Brace height
D. Axle to axle
I think reserving is just a band aid not the cure.
My 2 cents

·
Registered
50,431 Posts
I was wondering if this is normal serving wear or if something is wrong. Is there anything that might cause this like too many twists? This rides over the dl mod, but everything seems very smooth in there. The bow is a 2011 PSE Vendetta XL. The strings are less than 6 months old, but I usually shoot a few dozen times per day. Sorry the pics aren't the best. The serving is basically gone exposing the string underneath. I really don't want to put new cables on it right now cause it is shooting sweet and deer season starts Saturday. Should I just ease back on shooting and let it go? There are no broken strands. Thanks for any advice.
Your fine it is normal for a lot of bows to do that. It's not cut, it's doing it's job protecting the string. Shoot it, keep an eye on it if it busts loose/cuts some serving then have it repaired. Again it is pretty normal to see that on OEM cables.

·
Registered
545 Posts
my bow is also doing that. They guy at the archery shop told me its normal for a factory string

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
This is a function of the aggressive radius on the mod. Some serving materials separate more than others. There is no problem continuing to shoot your bow like this.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
This is a function of the aggressive radius on the mod. Some serving materials separate more than others. There is no problem continuing to shoot your bow like this.
But if you look at the pic on the right, the serving is so worn its almost down to the cable itself. Some of you all are brave. Halo serving would most likely hold up for that type issue.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
This is very common with some wheel/cam designs, you may want to get it reserved as it looks like most of the serving has seperated on the second pic. and it may not be protecting your string very well. A little extra wax can help also just to keep it lubed in that spot.
If you see your string or cable begin to show a spiral going up from there, thats a good sign that strands are breaking and then it should be replaced.
Does'nt matter too much on the age of the string but more on how much it's been shot and quality of the string/cable set to begin with.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
You could always order a new custom set of strings/cables from Vaportrail...:)....We see a lot of serving wear like that, especially on the factory strings with some of the extreme angles on some of the newer cams. Is it ok to shoot it like this? That's your call. I'd rather be 100% confident in my strings and cables though. Any doubt in your mind is usually going to effect your shooting. Typically factory strings aren't served with Halo on the cables. We do all of our cables in Halo. Problem solved.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
that doesn't look like string separation. It looks like string abrasion . something is wearing the serving

·
Registered
87 Posts
You could always order a new custom set of strings/cables from Vaportrail...:)....We see a lot of serving wear like that, especially on the factory strings with some of the extreme angles on some of the newer cams. Is it ok to shoot it like this? That's your call. I'd rather be 100% confident in my strings and cables though. Any doubt in your mind is usually going to effect your shooting. Typically factory strings aren't served with Halo on the cables. We do all of our cables in Halo. Problem solved.
I did exactly that, bow is in the shop now waiting to get them. Had vapor trail before and loved them so I am replacing my winners choice on my current bow with vapor trail.

I didnt know you did all your cables in halo serving, how much better does it stand up to an aggressive turn in a cam?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I *just* put on a brand new set of Vaportrails on my bow madness MC, getting the same exact serving separation as pictured. I also had that separation on the oem strings. Dont feel any sharp edges or burrs in the stop module... Guess its normal for the BM?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts