Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is this limb splinter safe to glue?

Danged! I just got this bow from another AT member barely a week and I just noticed this on my upper limb today:

It kinda looks like the surface finish cracked and along with it, a little bit of material (0.5mm?).

Prior to this, it just looked like a surface finish problem ... like the finish was a little too thick at that area.

A friend has another Mathews bow with a sliver of the finish cracked right off in the middle of the limb and it's shooting fine.

Can I epoxy this down or should I put the bow away?

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Bought a sweet looking Conq 3 off here and a couple of weeks later, the bott limb popped a splinter like that. I put some duct tape on it and kept shooting. I eventually got some warranty limbs from Mathews after some sweet-talking on my part. Contact the party you bought it from, if they are the orig owner, maybe they can help you get some new ones...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I would very carefully cut that off instead of trying to glue it. Glueing it still leaves the defect, removing it removes the defect.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Not a problem

That does really look like cosmetic, not structural, damage and you can glue it without worry. But if you wish, send a pic like you did to us to Mathews and get their response on it. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dhamer, would cutting it off have any detrimental effect to the limb itself?

nccrutch - thanks for the info!

Archerysteve - will do! Going to do it now.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It just occured to me what Mathews would probably tell me to do: take it to my dealer and get it changed.....which, the way things have worked (to me before with my MQ-1) and another friend waiting for new limbs, that would probably take a FEW MONTHS!!!

I posted up at the Mathews forum and every reply told me to stop shooting the bow and get it changed.

Danged! This is extremely frustrating - I waited 5 years before buying another bow and less than a week into shooting this had to happen ... and just a week before the largest tournament in my country!!! ARRRGHHH!!! :angry:

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate to do this, but ...

ARRRGHHHHHHHHH*&q_&^)*&#q^$_(q#)*& :angry: :angry: :angry:

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would have loved to Merlin, but funds didn;t allow it. So it was 2nd hand (or rather, 3rd hand - I found out by in-depth searches after I bought it).

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there still a warranty?

I was told that Mathews warranties only applied to original owners ... and I'm not the original owner. Far back as I can trace, I'm the 3rd owner.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Carefully use some epoxy to glue the splinter into place. Use clamps like furniture makers have. Wait until just before deer season starts.......... And then send it back to the factory...
Sorry, couldn't resist....get it fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man, you got me going there Terry! LOL!!!

Anyways, I'm waiting for the seller of the bow to get back from his vacation to see if we can work something out.

I've also posted up looking for replacement limbs, so if any of you guys hear of 70 lbs C3 limbs - ANY colour, please let me know.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
The aluminum limb pocket looks like it has a ding right where the splinter begins. To me, it appears the bow was dropped there, dinged the limb pocket, and initiated the limb damage.

JMO,

Richard

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ever seen a bow explode?

It would freak me out to shoot that. It might only be cosmetic damage to the bow, but it could mean cosmetic surgery to your head if it blows up. Before you take any more chances, ask yourself how much your head is worth! Maybe wear a football helmet when shooting it. :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
its fine for now.

it won't hurt to shot the bow for hunting season. take the bow to a achery shop and have them send the limbs in for warranty. any good shop will give you limbs off a new one if possible. the warranty is still good no matter what. they might even send you limbs without have to send your bad ones first. good luck :smile:

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm going to put my third pair of limbs on my Q2XL because that you can see in the photos. Only superficial, works well, but growing...
I hate that short-fiber-made type limbs, but I love the lifetime warranty :thumbs_up

1 - 20 of 33 Posts