Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. Thanks in advance for your opinions. Here's the situation... I received a new PSE Brute-X as a Christmas gift (last Christmas) from my wife. 70#, 29"DL (recently re-set to 28.5", perhaps owing to string stretch). Upgraded with an Axcel Armortech sight, 12" Bee Stinger ProHunter stab, and shooting 28.5" Easton Bloodline 330s (100gr tip) from a TruFire Hardcore Max release. Prior to July 4th, I had not shot the bow much. However, to date, following purchasing a new Rinehart bag target and feeling the Virginia deer season on the horizon, I've religiously shot daily (each time, ~2 to 3 dozen shots). I love the Brute-X, and have it shooting good groups (5") out to 40yds...

However, I'm REALLY concerned re: the condition of my factory strings... I would greatly appreciate any and all opinions as to whether my bow may be shot safely, given the pics below. The bow and string have only a few hundred shots (if that), and I am extremely meticulous and anal with respect to care, handling and storage of my bows.

I've already reached out to breathin (local to me) with an inquiry for new strings and a tune; however, he's several weeks under water. With deer season only a month away, I desperately want to continue shooting each day... However, there have been several threads recently discussing blow ups on Chargers, Elements and a DNA. Nuts&bolts had some great feedback re: the DNA... I have stroked the cam channel with a Q-tip to confirm that no sharp burrs are apparent... I'm at a loss as to what is causing the serving separation, and as to whether I should continue to shoot my bow...

Spot #1 and Spot #2 are outlined in the pics below. Thank you!!! -Corey

BruteX.jpg

Bottom-Cam-Left.jpg

Bottom-Cam-Right.jpg

Bottom-Cam-Inner.jpg

·
Anti Fanboy
41,948 Posts
If it were mine, I'd be ordering a new set of custom strings.

You could get by for a while as is but why stretch out the inevitable? Not worth the chance.

There are some on here that claims stock strings are as good as a good set of custom strings, [Dale], but what your experiencing is very common with stock strings.

So yeah, I strongly suggest ordering a set of good custom strings from some of our string builders on here.

I've found that with good custom strings, the servings are what really makes them stand apart from stock strings that are mass produced.

JBK has the toughest and thickest servings I've ever seen.

JBK also has a 24 month warranty, something you won't find anywhere else.

Jeff can get a set to you in short order.

BTW I wouldn't waste my time getting those stock strings reserved.

Good luck.

Skeet.

·
Banned
5,673 Posts
Serving separation is normal on most stock strings. It doesn't mean something's wrong, from your pics I can't tell because of the angle but it looks like you got a little cam lean going on. I don't think you need new strings you just need some reserving done. My shop charges $5 to reserve so it's a cheap fix. Take it it get it served and you'll be back in business cheap.

🎯 PSE

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. Skeet, I appreciate the referral to JBK. I've heard great things about them. My other predicament is that I don't have a relationship with any local shops for setting up my new threads (most are bigbox), and I'd like to have an expert set of eyeballs help me get her re-strung. Ergo, I have breathin within a two hour drive, so am hoping to get a one-stop-shop experience. However, JBK is next on my list (as is 60X). Thank you!!!

thencprince1515, I'm pretty sure the cam lean is an optical illusion (I'm not the best photographer on my wife's too-fancy-for-point-and-shoot DSLR). I positioned my bow vertically, and then compared the cam against a true plumb string hung from above. I could not discern any noticeable lean... The bow is factory PSE, with the RTS package... However, I'm gonna take another close look at the cam orientation. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump'in for any more thoughts...

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's a single cam bow. That what they do unfortunately but it's not in danger of breaking a string.
There are a couple of things you can do. At spot #1 there isn't much you can do but under the string the serving will still be pretty tight. It's just the outside making the sharp turn that separates.

#1 - At spot #2 push the serving back down the string and just keep an eye on it and when it begins separating again push it down again.

#2 - For a temporary fix to get you through the season you can serve over the bad spot with waxed dental floss. Yeah I know it sounds stupid but it works great for a temporary serving fix.

#3 - Take it to a reputable shop and have it professionally reserved.

#4 - New strings but if it's tuned and shooting good I'd leave it alone until after the season.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Serving separation is normal on most stock strings. It doesn't mean something's wrong, from your pics I can't tell because of the angle but it looks like you got a little cam lean going on. I don't think you need new strings you just need some reserving done. My shop charges $5 to reserve so it's a cheap fix. Take it it get it served and you'll be back in business cheap.

�� PSE
thencprince1515, I stand corrected... I think I have quite a bit of cam lean. I laid an arrow against the bottom cam, and it looks like / rather than parallel with the string. When the arrow is on the left face of the cam, it intersects the string at my D-loop... When the arrow is on the right face of the cam (side nearest to the cable guard), it lays / by approximately 3/8" at my D-loop. This is at brace -- not sure what it's doing at full draw...

·
Registered
672 Posts
For piece of mind I would get the string re-served or replace the strings as that's the sort of thing that would be sticking in the back of my mind every time I picked it up. Not good for 6 months use but then maybe it is depending on how much you are shooting it. That said though it doesn't look like its in any immediate danger of coming apart.

·
Socket Man
23,289 Posts
You have normal wear and tear and you need to learn to do basic things to keep these issues from hurting the strings under the serving. Use your finger nails and you can move the entire section and make the separation vanish where there is actual contact on the cams where the wear is happening. You can also use dental floss to patch up areas once you learn to tie appropriate knots. Then there is fire line at walmart for fishing and it is a step up from dental floss and allows for more permanent patch work.

Getting a 60 dollar set of 60x strings is a good idea also and then keep your old set incase you have a problem during hunting season.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
It's a single cam bow. That what they do unfortunately but it's not in danger of breaking a string.
There are a couple of things you can do. At spot #1 there isn't much you can do but under the string the serving will still be pretty tight. It's just the outside making the sharp turn that separates.

#1 - At spot #2 push the serving back down the string and just keep an eye on it and when it begins separating again push it down again.

#2 - For a temporary fix to get you through the season you can serve over the bad spot with waxed dental floss. Yeah I know it sounds stupid but it works great for a temporary serving fix.

#3 - Take it to a reputable shop and have it professionally reserved.

#4 - New strings but if it's tuned and shooting good I'd leave it alone until after the season.
#2. I have some of the finer serving thread. #24?? It's the size used to tie peeps in. I just wrap right over the old serving and it lasts for months. Mel

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Mel. I can tell my wife to stop looking for black dental floss! :)

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I'd shoot it and wait till after season to worry about it

·
Registered
775 Posts
PSE is a great company, but single cam bows suck regardless of the manufacturer.

The best thing you can do is to get away from single cam bows.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
thencprince1515, I stand corrected... I think I have quite a bit of cam lean. I laid an arrow against the bottom cam, and it looks like / rather than parallel with the string. When the arrow is on the left face of the cam, it intersects the string at my D-loop... When the arrow is on the right face of the cam (side nearest to the cable guard), it lays / by approximately 3/8" at my D-loop. This is at brace -- not sure what it's doing at full draw...
Cam lean is inevitable on bows with a cable guard. Fact is most bows need some lean to shoot/tune best, so IMO don't worry about the lean unless it's causing tuning issues.

Onto the separation issue. I would get them replaced with a well built custom string. Their's a bunch of great builders on this site that make awesome products that will not only have tighter, stronger servings they will be much more stable and hold the tune for a long time.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tony, are you Strict 9 Strings? If so, folks have been nice enough to PM me that I should try your strings. In any event, thanks, bro.
Cam lean is inevitable on bows with a cable guard. Fact is most bows need some lean to shoot/tune best, so IMO don't worry about the lean unless it's causing tuning issues.

Onto the separation issue. I would get them replaced with a well built custom string. Their's a bunch of great builders on this site that make awesome products that will not only have tighter, stronger servings they will be much more stable and hold the tune for a long time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts