·
Registered
2,504 Posts
No, it is not. String is toast.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I wouldn’t shoot that. I’ve shot for awhile with one broken strand in a string but that appears to be several strands. Looks like someone slid the peep in the string without pressing the bow. That peep looks pretty worn as well. I would replace it with a new one when the new strings are installed.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
It's only one strand, you probably have 25 more holding it together. It's not going to produce a catastrophic failure. Keep shooting it and as long as your point of impact is staying in the same spot you're going to be fine. If it began life as a 26 strand string and now you're down to 25, you're still one strand stronger than if you had a 24 strand string with all 24 strands in tact. Shoot it and just keep an eye on it and I'd bet it still has a lot of life left in it.

Automan

·
Registered
994 Posts
Someone chime in with your experiences, but don't you begin to see some strange performance downrange before you're at risk of anything actually snapping?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I don’t build strings like Automan26 does. So if he says it’s ok to shoot then I would take his word for it. An experienced string builder knows more about that sort of thing than those of us who just shoot and work on bows. I still personally wouldn’t feel that comfortable with it myself. It looks like the peep is beginning to cut into the string here too. I also wouldn’t feel comfortable with not having the peep served into the string like that.

·
(aka lug nut)
51,526 Posts
I don’t build strings like Automan26 does. So if he says it’s ok to shoot then I would take his word for it. An experienced string builder knows more about that sort of thing than those of us who just shoot and work on bows. I still personally wouldn’t feel that comfortable with it myself. It looks like the peep is beginning to cut into the string here too. I also wouldn’t feel comfortable with not having the peep served into the string like that.

TIE in the peep. That means use some serving thread, and go AROUND the groove around the outside of the peep,
to permanently connect the peep to the bowstring. Like this.

Having the black serving thread, to make short servings to lock down the SIZE of the upper triangle and the lower triangle, is not a TIED IN PEEP.

The peep can still pop out of the bowstring, during a dry fire. Follow the instructions in the Specialty Archery Video and WRAP the outside groove of the peep with two wraps of serving thread, to LOCK Down the Peep to the Bowstring.

GIANT model so it's easier to see how to TIE IN the peep, using serving thread in the groove that goes around the OUTSIDE of the peep.

Two wraps around the peep to make an "X".
Wrap #3 goes UNDER the "x" created by the first two wraps.

Pull tight on the tag end, and the half hitch knot will line up INSIDE the groove around the peep.

NOW your peep is TIED to the bowstring. This is why all peep have a GROOVE around the outside edge. Use it.

Repeat on the other side of the peep, so you are locked into the left edge and the right edge of the triangles.

·
Registered
Pse bows, abb platinum strings, gas strings, trophy ridge sights, Black eagle arrows,
394 Posts
Go for it what's the worst that can happen 🤣, you should be fine I had that happen to me I shot it for the bow season and replaced to once my new string came in

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
A few years a friend of mine had a string in its final stages of failure but didn't know it. He was shooting league and missed badly to the right on one arrow. The next landed farther right and the next was way right by a long way. Immediately he stopped shooting and found a few broken strands. The string didn't blow up but it was giving signs that failure was imminent. Many years ago I had a screaming Xi Legand Magnum. That was back in the days of Flastflight string and mono serving. Nearly every time I blew a center serving I found 2 or 3 cut strands that had remained hidden under the serving, yet I never realized it until the serving had been removed.

Automan

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is what he was hoping for. This a friend's son that is looking at buying this bow. I told him to see some pictures of servings and such and noticed that immediately. I told him I would tie in the Peep but wanted to check with the great resources on this forum first. Thank you all for the input.

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE: "If it began life as a 26 strand string and now you're down to 25, you're still one strand stronger than if you had a 24 strand string with all 24 strands intact."

My Comment:
That makes too much sense. There has to be a better answer out there, and when I say "better" I mean one that stirs up more drama and gets people arguing!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I use a constrictor knot on the peep and have no trouble. It pulls the string strands into the grooves better and less chance of the peep cutting the string. Before I started using that knot I had a peep cut the string and cause the string to break. I had an arrow knocked but when the string breaks it's a dry fire.

·
Registered
Pse Mach 1
5,226 Posts
TIE in the peep. That means use some serving thread, and go AROUND the groove around the outside of the peep,
to permanently connect the peep to the bowstring. Like this.

Having the black serving thread, to make short servings to lock down the SIZE of the upper triangle and the lower triangle, is not a TIED IN PEEP.

The peep can still pop out of the bowstring, during a dry fire. Follow the instructions in the Specialty Archery Video and WRAP the outside groove of the peep with two wraps of serving thread, to LOCK Down the Peep to the Bowstring.

GIANT model so it's easier to see how to TIE IN the peep, using serving thread in the groove that goes around the OUTSIDE of the peep.

Two wraps around the peep to make an "X".
Wrap #3 goes UNDER the "x" created by the first two wraps.

Pull tight on the tag end, and the half hitch knot will line up INSIDE the groove around the peep.

NOW your peep is TIED to the bowstring. This is why all peep have a GROOVE around the outside edge. Use it.

Repeat on the other side of the peep, so you are locked into the left edge and the right edge of the triangles.

Wow that’s a great demonstration!!!!! U should post that to help others seriously I like that easy for people to understnd

·
Registered
52,016 Posts
That peep is seriously your problem. You need a new string and a new peep. For awhile those G5 peeps were great string cutters. We stopped selling G5 peeps because of that.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'd shoot that through the season but for sure put on new strings afterwards with a different peep.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
3,834 Posts
if a big buck was in front of me, i'd shoot it. any other circumstance, not a chance

1 - 20 of 22 Posts