Archery Talk Forum banner

Is this string shootable?

2273 Views 40 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  AzLongboard
Title says it. Bought a bow and when it got here there is clearly cut fibers (could be one just flattened out?) And of course they are cut right around where a peep would be so most likely cut when taking the peep out. Already reported the seller after giving him a chance to respond since the ad specifically stated (and whole reason I went with a more expensive bow sale cause the string was good to go and that's $100+ install at least) but is this string shootable for a bit? I've had a cable slide pick up a crack and snap a cable mid hold before so I've had a bow blow up in my hands and it's NOT fun.
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Tints and shades Wood

Automotive tire Rim Tints and shades Flooring Automotive exterior

P.s. I know it's probably a stupid idea, but I do own a press and could tuck it back into the strings if that's something that would help?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Banned
Mathew's V3X 33 60#//DH Cavilier 25#//SW Spider XL 45#
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a chance man! That’s a ticking time bomb!
That's what I was thinking.... Dang. You're like the 3rd person to say that so I won't be shooting it. Hopefully he responds. I went with him cause he has 20+ 5 star rating and also a BUNCH as the seller. Hopefully he attempts SOMETHING to make it right.

Reactions: KDS

· Registered
55,454 Posts
Not only do a new string but cables also. No matter what a seller tells you you should always expect to replace them on a used bow. They are wearable items. You don't know how it was used or abused. Just a thing to be expected when buying sight unseen.

· Banned
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not only do a new string but cables also. No matter what a seller tells you you should always expect to replace them on a used bow. They are wearable items. You don't know how it was used or abused. Just a thing to be expected when buying sight unseen.
I actually spent quite a bit more than a deal I had locked in cause this guy had 20+ seller ratings which was nice. He was a target shooter and had oem string with it so I at least have that. But I waited an extra week for him going out of town to buy from him BECAUSE he was saying the strings were so new. Lesson learned to never FnF again cause AT rule is they won't touch it if it's FnF. Hopefully the guy doesn't want his perfect rating blown up. I honestly don't even want much if anything just a, 'sorry my bad' would honestly save his rating. Message him 14 hours ago and still no response so reported it this morning and I'll give him 24 hours from messaging him this morning till I leave a review. Things happen, he might have not known and the shop did it and knew he was selling a bow and didn't tell him. Ignorance isn't an excuse though.

· Registered
368 Posts
I’m not in the “Oh no it’s going to blow up” crowd. For years we ran 2 strand fewer than manufacturers string count to increase speed. Strings are a continuous string taken off a spool 1 strand won’t blow up a bow and often it’s only part of a strand. You stated you have the original so change it if overly concerned.

· Banned
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m not in the “Oh no it’s going to blow up” crowd. For years we ran 2 strand fewer than manufacturers string count to increase speed. Strings are a continuous string taken off a spool 1 strand won’t blow up a bow and often it’s only part of a strand. You stated you have the original so change it if overly concerned.
I will be. And maybe the pic don't show it clearly but look how THICK the cut strand/strands are. Idk anything about bow strings but with as wide as the cut part is, I think it's safe to say it's not just ONE strand.

· Banned
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sleeve Wood Line Font Denim

Just pulled out oem string and it's frayed and serving split.... Deff getting a bad review. Why said both strings are in good condition in ad when they are not :( lame.

• Wow
Reactions: dnv23

· Banned
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like he maybe damaged it trying to take the peep out. When I buy a used bow, I always count on changing the strings.
I do too. Again, reason I went with this guy was his killer rating and the ad stated both sets of strings were in great condition.

· Registered
2,921 Posts
That's what I was thinking.... Dang. You're like the 3rd person to say that so I won't be shooting it. Hopefully he responds. I went with him cause he has 20+ 5 star rating and also a BUNCH as the seller. Hopefully he attempts SOMETHING to make it right.
Yeah that sucks man. Most are pretty honest on here, so hopefully he helps you out AZ.

· Banned
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah that sucks man. Most are pretty honest on here, so hopefully he helps you out AZ.
I'm sure he will. I can at least see he's not just ignoring me he hasn't been on AT since my messages but AT has the rule everything needs to be put out first day item is received so I made my paper trail. Hopefully he does some good on his end. If not oh well it's his rating. I'm not even asking for anything besides a 'yeah I f Ed up, my bad'.

· Registered
625 Posts
I will respond to this thread. I am the seller of the bow.

First, I will publicly apologize to AzLongboard for sending out a bow that does have issues with the string. I will own up to it and admit it was a mistake and admit it is 100% on me. I will not make excuses and I will not put the blame on anyone else.

I have made a lot of transactions on AT over the years and I have never had bad dealings and I have a 100% rating as both a buyer and a seller. Anybody that has dealt with me on AT or in person over the years will say I am a stand up guy and I treat others as I would like to be treated. This is a tough one and I will own up to it and explain as best as I can.

I traded for this bow over a year ago when I decided to go back and shoot Elite again. It was a used bow when I got it, and it came with the Flo Yellow strings and cables installed on the bow, and an extra set of used Gas strings and cables in the package. I never took those strings out of the package and never intended to use them unless an emergency arose. The bow did not come with the original OEM strings and they were not included in the subsequent deal with AzLongboard. The flo yellow strings and cables were used but in good condition, so I went through my normal procedures and set up the bow and have been shooting it for a year. I shoot a lot and the bow got shot a lot. I have never had an issue with the strings and cables. I do not slide my peep up and down the string without pressing the bow, I have seen too many issues over the years when that is done. That is the back story on the bow.

When I listed the bow, I never said the strings were in great condition as AzLongboard stated. I can provide proof of the listing if needed, but my exact wording was "good" condition, which to me means they are working and shootable, but they are a consumable item on a bow and mileage may vary. I never presented either set of strings and cables as "great", "excellent", "as-new", or anything other than "good". I just want everyone to know that, I did not knowingly make false claims on the strings and cables. I also want everyone to know that the pictures provided were not how the string looked when I boxed the bow up and shipped it. If I would have seen the frayed string and if there was a strand sticking out, I would have sent a picture to AzLongboard and we would have had a conversation about the condition. I do not knowingly do things like this, I will stand on my reputation on this one. I also want to make it perfectly clear that I did not add a bunch of extra wax to the string and try to hide anything, which has been suggested. The amount of wax on the string was a normal amount, I did not try to hide anything. My guess, and this is a guess, since I will freely admit that I did not do my due diligence in checking out the string, is that the peep location from the previous owner is up where the damage is and I never noticed it. The blue mark on the string in the pictures above is where my peep was located, so you can see that the damage is well above where my peep was located. Again, this is purely speculation on my part because I did a very poor job of checking over the string. I own that 100%, and again, I apologize to AzLongboard for the problem and the damage. It was never my intention to mislead or misrepresent.

The extra set of strings and cables was never represented as other than "good". Like I stated above, I never took the strings and cables out of the package, I simply looked at them in the package, they looked decent enough, and I included them as an extra in the deal. I never stated they were anything other than good, and I would have no issue putting them on any bow I shoot and seeing how they look. Could there be issues with them? Absolutely, they are used bow strings and I have no idea how many times they were shot or how they were treated. Will they work in a pinch if they were needed, or until new strings could be purchased? Again, absolutely, I would not have an issue using them as a backup or in case of emergency.

Lastly, I again want to publicly apologize to AzLongboard for the trouble and the string issues. I truly wish you the best of luck with the bow, it is an absolutely fantastic bow and it is a shooter. I have no hard feelings and I hope you do not as well. I own up to my mistake in this transaction and I will absolutely do my best to do better moving forward.

Edit: One other thing that I want to mention, just so it is perfectly clear, even though it has no bearing on my mistake. I did not suggest PayPal FnF for this transaction, it was first suggested by AzLongboard in our conversation. He suggested it as a way to lower the price on the bow on his end, since I would not move from the price if I was covering PayPal fees. I just want people to know that I did not suggest FnF as some sneaky way for him to lose protection.

· Registered
5,288 Posts
For me a used bow always = new strings regardless. Gives me peace of mind for the next 2yrs.

Reactions: dnv23

· Banned
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do want to say I purposely never said any names, didn't say the bow I bought, didn't even show pics of the bow just string because I didn't want to call out the person who did this SPECIALLY before I got to talk to him. I put here multiple times I just wanted him to reach out to me so we can discuss. His initial response to me was incredibly rude and even went as far as accusing me of 'being one of those people's whatever he meant by that. I never once even brought up compensation, just wanted a reply. I haven't decided on leaving a review or not because part of me is proud of him outting himself and putting his name to it (that takes balls) and he publicly apologized. The other part of me is, I had an issue with the product and was met with attitude and accusations. Actually even accused me of 'bullying or threatening' him because I brought up a LEGIT CONCERN. I'm at work so I'll post the transcripts of the whole conversation from initial message to the last. He did apologize that this happened. But I'm torn of, **** happens let it be, and no f this, don't accuse me of things I am not and think it's ok.

· Banned
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Font Rectangle Screenshot Software Technology
Font Screenshot Electronic device Software Multimedia
Font Screenshot Slope Rectangle Software
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Software
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Terrestrial plant
Sky Font Astronomical object Science Screenshot
Product Font Screenshot Software Technology
Font Screenshot Technology Software Multimedia
Font Screenshot Rectangle Technology Software

Just cause im fully transparent and dont deal with he said she said. Here's the FULL conversation from start to finish.

· Banned
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's full transcription from start to finish, If im in the wrong here ill gladly take that assuming yall think im clearly in the wrong.

Font Audio equipment Building Automotive tire Circle

snippet from ad placed talking about strings and cables.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.