Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I think its very possible. I dont know what else you have around there. The second deer definitely looks like a 2 year old, but just a real dud. The shape of his frame is the same... id be 50/50. Youde think hed have grown a lot better than than, but sometimes they dont. Maybe he was hurt? Sick? Tough to say with any degree of certainty. Is it in the exact same spot? Do you have other possibilities on camera?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think its very possible. I dont know what else you have around there. The second deer definitely looks like a 2 year old, but just a real dud. The shape of his frame is the same... id be 50/50. Youde think hed have grown a lot better than than, but sometimes they dont. Maybe he was hurt? Sick? Tough to say with any degree of certainty. Is it in the exact same spot? Do you have other possibilities on camera?
Have saw him once while hunting his antlers are black on the tips like he injured them during velvet.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I’m going with a definite no. They make it tough to tell sometimes, though!

it’s also hard to tell with how strong genes can be in a certain area. He are two different bucks, a year apart. The pictures are about 100 yards from eachother. Nearly identical. Both main frame 9 points with the G4 in the right. Both have kickers off both left and right G2’s in nearly the same spot. Very similar size. Slightly different frame shape.
Head Photograph White Deer Light

·
Registered
18,195 Posts
Second time I’ve read antlers are reversed…I’m just not seeing that.

Weird crabby left both pics
Typical frame right, both pics.
Left is a 4 point 1.5 year old , right is a 3 point.

2.5 year old left 3 point didn't grow his g3 at all. Right side his g3 that wasn't a legal point didn't even try to grow either. Odd that both g3 would not get to actually inch long especially with the body size increase so he wasn't sick or anything to cause the lack of antlers to grow.

But that's how I'm seeing , I was kind of joking on the selfie thing.

Also his rack for a 1.5 year old is pretty good one for a northern MI deer and says to me he has ok genetic for up in an area like the UP of MI .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts