Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the web site it shows how the design is good for shooting on slopes, I still dont quite understand it,

but it seems the release wont end up being faster or slower, when your form may change a bit when aiming up or down hill.

I am wondering would a scott or zenith be equall to the truball in this repect? or does truball really have a superior design?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am not sure about what release your talking about but I was shooting the (I think) Tru Tension 3 finger. I really liked that release. I now made the switch to the Long Horn 3 Finger. Just personal prefrence, but I like the fell in my hands better. It has smaller finger spread on the handle. The Tru Ball is a really nice release. You won't go wrong. But I like the feel better with the Scott.

James D.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
save yourself the hassles-buy a carter. They are the best period-best quality and they stand behind their product. Besides the last world field (the ultra tough FITA one) was one with a carter

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
I have shot the Zeniths, Carters, Stans and a few others. I am now shooting a Tru Ball. I feel that right now the make the best pure back tension release. As you stated the speedof the release does not change on hill shots. I have been very impressed with this release. It is very comfortable to shoot. On alot of other BT releases my fingers would get sore, This doesn't happen with the Tru Ball. I have sold my Carters and my Zeniths since I bought my Tru Ball.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
It's all a matter of personal preference. All of the true back tension releases work on the same principal, no trigger.

The biggest difference becomes the design of the handle.

I prefer the Scott Longhorn because it fits my hand very well as I have small hands and I shoot it very well, or did til I stabbed myself in the finger.

Shoot what feels the best in your hand, not mine.

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brown hornet

which truball back tension are you using?

what are your thoughts on the the one with a safety vs one without?

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ask because some do not like the safety, could it be uncomfortable to reach for it?

I was told also by a truball tech, that the release can still fire even with the safety on, it just makes it a little harder to fire, so it isnt 100 percent by any means, this is something I also wasnt aware of.

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
3 finger Tru Tension. No safety. I don't like them either. I do shoot it with a clicker though. Which I use like a safety.

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does your tru tensions head stay put once its cocked?

or does it flop around while you try to load it on the loop?

Zenith has whats called the flip it head which stays put, as well as the sweet spot I am sure this year has a spring which keeps the head in one place for loading.

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
Francis it stays there after it is cocked. But that is only because I hold it so that I don't have to cock it again. I used to shoot a Zenieth with the flip it head the were very nice. If Tru Ball combines their current head with a flip it it would be total package (kind of like a Hoyt). But it wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
I never was much on the "safety" system. The best safety is to lock your thumb over your index finger when you draw. It can't go off that way. Remove thumb at full draw, settle, and fire.

Works on every backtension I've ever tried anyway.

Good luck.

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are there any other back tension releases that have a head that does similar to the flip it head on the zeniths?

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
Not that I know of. It isn't really something that is needed. It's not hard to cock a BT release.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
It sounds like the release you are talking about is the TruBall Sweet Spot.....the BT with the saftey.

The deal with the uphill and downhill shots is that as long as the saftey is on, the head free floats and allows you to position your drawing arm without fear of the release going off. Once turned off, the head is locked in position and now regardless of where you started from, the same amount of motion will cause the release to fire.

I have an Ultra Sweet Spot 3 and absoloutely love it. It is my "go to" release when I feel that I am getting a bit jumpy with my trail boss.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts