692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished tuning my rig today for hunting;
Mathews Switchback
72lbs., 29 in. draw
CX 300's 28 3/4" 4" Marco Vanes Right helical
100 gr. 3 blade Razorcap Broadheads
Speed : 294 fps
2 field tips and 2 broadheads at 30 yards; 2" group consistent.
From now on my practice sessions will be;
Walk out with my bow and shoot 1 arrow, no preparation, no loosening up.
I actually have my wife tell me "Go shoot" any time during the day and I shoot 1 arrow, in hunting that's the one that counts.
Interested to hear others hunting practice tips...

Rick

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm getting there with mine. I had to make a small change in my draw length on a switchback that I picked up last week and now it fits alot better than before. I think after a few sessions I'll be well on my way to being ready.

I will probably shoot anywhere from 10-30 arrows a day between now and deer season but I do like the idea of how you are only shooting one at a time.

-lee-

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Well, your a few steps ahead of me. I had new Sone Mountain strings and cables put on my bow last week. I picked my bow up on Friday Morning and left on vacation Friday Afternoon. I plan on spending a day at the range resetting my nock point, peep etc.... when I get back this next weekend.

Hopefully retuning will be encouraging......

I'm getting very excited about the upcoming season and I can't wait to see how my bow shoots!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
RicknKansas said:
Finished tuning my rig today for hunting;
Mathews Switchback
72lbs., 29 in. draw
CX 300's 28 3/4" 4" Marco Vanes Right helical
100 gr. 3 blade Razorcap Broadheads
Speed : 294 fps
2 field tips and 2 broadheads at 30 yards; 2" group consistent.
From now on my practice sessions will be;
Walk out with my bow and shoot 1 arrow, no preparation, no loosening up.
I actually have my wife tell me "Go shoot" any time during the day and I shoot 1 arrow, in hunting that's the one that counts.
Interested to hear others hunting practice tips...

Rick
Shot a few dozen arrows this evening. She's ready to go. They were flying great.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm trying the razorcaps for the first time this season. Man they fly great, interested in seeing how they perform. Going on a hog hunt in 3 weeks ( can't wait till deer season to try them).

Rick

·
One crazy Mutant ;)
9,083 Posts
2003 Razortec @ 27" 65* tru draw
Copper John D.N.P. 5 pin
Fletcher Tru Peep
Trophy Taker S.H.
Doinker 7" stab
2 piece Hoyt Quiver
Zenith Big Guy 4
Gold Tip Pro Hunter 55/75 @ 28"
Montec 100 gr.
2.25" Quick Spins
Pro String string & cables.

She's ready to go, now if only Oct. 1st can get here any sooner...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm not ready. I have to decide whether to use my old release or retune for my new one. Change sights, then tune for broadheads.

once I'm all set up, my hunting practice will consist of shooting 2-6 arrows a night, obviously concentrating on the 1st, at targets of various ranges, from a treestand with a hunting jacket on.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Almost there....

After my recent saga with my Allegiance, she's better than ever! :thumbs_up

I haven't had much time to shoot since I got her back, but she's deadly with the 20 yard pin. I just have to reset the 30,40,50 & 60 yard pins and I should be good to go.

I also gotta practice with my new Beman Black Max 340s'... they are about 25 grains heavier than my 400's.... going to see if it's any significant difference on drop. Shouldn't take long to figure out.

Other than that, I never really stop shooting. I'm solid as a rock to 40 yards with my Slick Tricks, trying to get consistent with the 50 yard pin shouldn't take too long... but that 60 yard pin is a doozy.... the only thing it might be used for is a coyote that won't come in closer.... MAYBE!

-ZA206

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Yep, the only thing that I am waiting on now is a nice Buck to walk out!

'04 CRACKERIZED Xtect
29 1/2" draw at 65lbs.
380 gr Gold Tip Pro Hunters topped with a 100gr 4 bladed Muzzy
Copper John Dead Nuts Pro
Muzzy Zero Effect rest

·
Registered
56 Posts
yea got most of mine all done today....

2005 ar 34 hybred shooting about 276 fps, at 72lbs, with 85% let off
trophy taker shakey hunter drop away
limb saverers and there stabilizer
hha 5500
cx 300 cut to 29 1/4 inch with a right 4 degree ofset, shooting vains.
100 gr muzzy 3 blades
100 gr slick tricks
and tru fire release
soon to be getting bow jacks,

hitting 50 cent peice at 35 yards so i am happy

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
My VTEC rig is a finely tuned instrument of death.... and has been that way since turkey season. Watch out whitetails! Come on Oct. 1 :thumbs_up

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have been shooting all summer. I needed new strings and cables and sent my Outback out to Missouri to have it "Crackerized" I can't wait to get it back. I talked to Mike Carter on the phone a couple weeks ago, he sounds like a hell of a nice guy. If he can do the magic on my bow, I will be crazy. I shot 5 deer with it last year using slick trick broadheads and they flew like darts. Can't wait, just 66 wakeups to the "Season"........

·
Registered
892 Posts
Primary and back up bow are dialed in and ready to go! Deer is 10 days away, elk, 16 days away, and antelope is 20 days away. My problem now is getting enough done so I can disappear from the office for a couple weeks without worrying so much about what's not getting done!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.