Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, this is a bad idea.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/16/isle-royale-to-get-20-30-new-wolves-under-park-service-plan/

Isle Royale to get 20-30 new wolves under park service plan

By JOHN MYERS | Forum News Service

PUBLISHED: March 16, 2018 at 12:17 pm | UPDATED: March 16, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Isle Royale’s decimated wolf population will get a lifesaving infusion of 20 to 30 new wolves over the next three years under a National Park Service plan published Friday in the Federal Register.

The Park Service published its final environmental impact statement after studying the potential of wolf reintroduction for two years and deciding on bringing in new wolves over other options, including doing nothing.

Park Service officials now must wait for 30 days before a “record of decision” is published and details of the relocation plan can be released, said Liz Valencia, chief of interpretation and cultural resources for Isle Royale National Park.

The final environmental impact statement comes more than a year after Isle Royale National Park officials reached the conclusion that the wolf transplant was the best and only option to keep a viable predator population on the island. But it took more than 15 months for the efforts of the environmental impact statement to clear the agency’s hierarchy.

As of January there were only two wolves remaining on the island as the wolf population has been slowly declining due to inbreeding and genetic deformities.

Scientists with Michigan Technological University, who have been studying the island’s wolf and moose populations for 59 years, have said for years that the wolves need new blood or they face extinction. The last two wolves are father and daughter and when they have mated their pups have not survived.

Some people had suggested that the Park Service stay out of the situation and let the island’s wolves run their course, saying the definition of federal wilderness is an area not impacted by human action. But others say the problems wolves face – including vastly diminished Lake Superior ice cover due to climate change, which makes it less likely for new wolves to come to the island – show humans already are having an impact.

The 45-mile-long, 143,000-acre island is located about 15 miles off Minnesota’s North Shore.

Wolves are relatively new to the island, having crossed the ice in the 1940s. Their numbers reached a high of 50 in 1980, and 24 wolves roamed the island as recently as 2009. But no new wolves have crossed ice to the island in many years.

Moose came to the island much earlier in the 1900s, peaking at 2,445 in 1995 and hitting bottom at just 385 in 2007. In their annual survey last winter scientists estimated the moose herd had grown to 1,600 on the island.

Results of this winter’s survey, due in coming weeks, are expected to show 2,000 or more moose now on the island. Without more wolves, scientists say, the moose will continue to increase and cause environmental damage across the island and will begin to starve to death.

The Humane Society of the U.S., an animal welfare group, was first to weigh-in Friday supporting the Park Service decision.

“With the loss of Isle Royale’s ice bridges due to climate change, wolves could not reach the island. This spelled disaster not only for the park’s environmental health, but doomed its overabundant moose population to slow, cruel starvation,” said Nicole Paquette, vice president of wildlife at The Humane Society of the United States. “The two wolves left on the island are too inbred to successfully reproduce; it’s been heartbreaking to witness the harm that lack of genetic diversity has caused on Isle Royale.”

In the draft environmental study the Park Service says it will look to capture Great Lakes wolves that are known to feed on moose as one of their prey sources, are in good health with no apparent injuries and have the appropriate genetic diversity to sustain a viable population on the island.

Capture and relocation efforts would take place between late fall and late winter. Relocated wolves will be fitted with radio or GPS collars so they can be tracked.

Wolves may be supplemented as needed up to the third year after initial introduction. After the third year, should an unforeseen event occur that impacts the wolf population, such as a mass die-off or introduction of disease, additional wolves may be supplemented for an additional two years. No additional wolves would be brought to the island after five years from first relocation.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,257 Posts
Dumb and Dumber running the show up there- unbelievable

Those G&F folks can't find there rear end with both hands......

·
Ice Cold
11,855 Posts
I’m no biologist, but I’m assuming the people that come up with these ideas aren’t either. It seems like there are people in that part of the world that just want to see moose disappear completely from the region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
No need for wolf plants ANYWHERE.

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
I called this one as soon as the packs began to decline. This is a giant pile of misinformation BS. I saw the article in the Duluth paper yesterday and I said I wasn't even going to read it, but I did today. All the animals that were on Isle Royale crossed over naturally, without intervention by man. The studies done there were touted as unique throughout the world based on this. Studying nature without the influence of man was held in such high regard. I knew they couldn't handle it when the wolves started to decline because of interbreeding. I actually believed they would have brought more wolves in sooner. By doing this, the researchers have shown their true colors. They have shown they are not at all interested in seeing what happens when man doesn't interfere and nature is allowed to run it's course. They have perverted the entire study with their obvious bias for wolves. They already have Minnesota to study if they want to learn what happens when wolves are allowed to go unchecked.

That's one thing but the justification is another. "vastly diminished Lake Superior ice cover due to climate change" BS. How often has Lake Superior frozen over in the last 200 years? It seldom happens and it has actually happened twice since the whole blame everything on global warming campaign was launched. So it's actually man's fault......"show humans already are having an impact." Create guilt to gain support to introduce more wolves.

"Without more wolves, scientists say, the moose will continue to increase and cause environmental damage across the island and will begin to starve to death." BS. They were doing fine and in balance with the island long before wolves made it to the island. Create fear the moose will all starve if no wolves are brought in. They've proved already they didn't need the wolves tearing them apart and eating them alive to live in harmony with the island.

The Humane Society of the United States, an animal welfare group, was first to weigh in Friday supporting the Park Service decision.

“With the loss of Isle Royale’s ice bridges due to climate change, wolves could not reach the island. This spelled disaster not only for the park’s environmental health, but doomed its overabundant moose population to slow, cruel starvation,” said Nicole Paquette, the group’s vice president of wildlife protection. “The two wolves left on the island are too inbred to successfully reproduce; it’s been heartbreaking to witness the harm that lack of genetic diversity has caused on Isle Royale.” BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The group most interested in seeing any type of hunting banned chimes in to spread more misinformation and further their agenda of their dream anti hunting weapon, the wolf.

Caribou are being airlifted by helicopters from other islands to save them from complete annihilation from wolves but on Isle Royale when moose get the upper hand the liberals go mental and spread lies to get what they want.

My favorite LIE!!!!!! "Scientists with Michigan Technological University, who have been studying the island's wolf and moose populations for 59 years, have said for years that the wolves need new blood or they face extinction." EXTINCTION?????????????? Dear God, stop it!!!! I guess by the same logic moose in Minnesota are facing EXTINCTION from the overpopulation of wolves that continues to go ignored and unchecked in favor of spreading more lies and misinformation.

The truth. Wolves are not facing extinction. Wolves are not endangered. Wolves are not threatened. WOLVES ARE THRIVING. What is facing extinction is the money given to study a moose/wolf coexistence on Isle Royale. Not as interesting if it's just moose living peacefully and in harmony with the land.

To think I actually assisted these people and offered my property/cameras for their studies a few years back is making me sick now. The hypocrisy of the study has been exposed. It wasn't about studying what happens when man is not involved.

I'm so sick of living in an area where wolves are placed on a pedestal at the expense of every other animal.

So I guess interbreeding won't be a problem again? WRONG!!!! They've just successfully created a way to continue the study forever, except it's no longer what it was so greatly heralded for. It's man's little experiment created by liberal wolf lovers now. Oh, and don't forget, they're going to need funds to keep this thing rolling...

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
I am also sick of the obvious hypocrisy with this "Without more wolves, scientists say, the moose will continue to increase and cause environmental damage across the island and will begin to starve to death."

Because wolves aren't considered a problem in Minnesota with these people when it comes to the demise of the moose population. Yet on the island wolves are the only thing that can help control the moose and in fact save them from themselves. But they can't possibly be contributing to diminishing numbers 20 miles away. Reducing wolf numbers 20 miles away wouldn't have the same effect on moose? Nope cuz dem dare brane werms are killin dem not de wolves..... These folks will stop at nothing to protect wolves and the money it generates for their studies. And the obvious benefits to anti hunting groups.

I can't wait to see these geniuses scratching their heads and pretending not to know why all the elk the Fond Du Lac Band plans to introduce here disappear as fast as they release them. I'm sure wolves won't be to blame. Even though they are now claiming the habitat is perfect for elk here, the habitat will be the first thing they blame on the quick disappearance of the elk they release.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
So stupid! Perfect chance to relocate some moose to where their having problems. But no have to bring in wolfs to wipe that herd out too.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They’ll say importing wolves is natural vs. having hunters kill them isn’t. If you have to transplant them, it’s ain’t natural.

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
So stupid! Perfect chance to relocate some moose to where their having problems. But no have to bring in wolfs to wipe that herd out too.
It won't wipe the moose out on the Island, that would be just as bad for them. What it will do is keep funds rolling in for their studies so they can justify their positions. They have lost all credibility with this move.

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
They’ll say importing wolves is natural vs. having hunters kill them isn’t. If you have to transplant them, it’s ain’t natural.
Notice the Humane Society of the United States was the first to chime in and praise the move. Wolves are their greatest weapon against hunting. They've (liberal HSUS folks) managed to close moose hunting in Minnesota and disguise their demise on literally everything under the sun except the obvious main contributing factor, wolves.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Hopefully the Yuppers keep shooting them in the guts. Best way to deal with them.

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
I'm pretty sure everyone on this site knows how I feel about wolves. But because I once considered the Isle Royale moose/wolf study to be unique and of value I did lend a hand.

More than 10 years ago I received a call from independent film maker George Desort. He had plans for making a film showing the interaction between the wolves and moose of Isle Royale. He called me up and I agreed to speak with him and lend him my equipment for his research and film. He stopped by my house on his way to Isle Royale. Very nice guy. We spoke and I did not hide my feelings about wolves, I told him exactly how I felt. People with different views can get along and work together. George made his film, Fortunate Wilderness; The Wolf and Moose Study of Isle Royale. It's pretty good and my name rolls on the credits at the end of the film. I respected the time and effort he put into making the film and I still respect his work.

Then the Michigan Tech researchers that George worked alongside contacted me and asked me to build them cameras for the study. I did. Why not be a part of a unique study that was so well respected? Even if I had a totally different view of wolves I had a lot of respect for the researchers and the opportunity Isle Royale presented them.

My respect for this study is now 100% gone. The opportunity was there to continue the research without intervention. They could go anywhere else in the world where wolves are located and do the same research they are going to be doing now. The thing that made the research on the island worthwhile was how the animals arrived there. Now it's going to be no different than anywhere else. It is no longer unique. I'm so disappointed in their decision to debase and discredit their own study.

We have lost the opportunity to see how the moose would adapt. At a time when moose are disappearing at an alarming rate, just 20 miles away, it would have been an amazing opportunity. Something tells me they don't want people to know what would actually happen without the wolves.

·
Caution! Sardonicism!
20,053 Posts

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
Whut The....!!?

THAT would be UN-NATURAL!
You're right. The study is over if they do anything, period. And that's what makes this situation unique.

This woman, that is a hunters worst nightmare, has absolutely no idea what she is talking about but people will believe her because of the scary key words she's using, ie; climate change, disaster, environmental health, doomed, overabundance of moose, slow, cruel starvation and of course...heartbreaking to witness. My guess is she's never set foot on Isle Royale and has no idea of the history of how this situation came to be.

The Humane Society of the United States, an animal welfare group, was first to weigh in Friday supporting the Park Service decision.

“With the loss of Isle Royale’s ice bridges due to climate change, wolves could not reach the island. This spelled disaster not only for the park’s environmental health, but doomed its overabundant moose population to slow, cruel starvation,” said Nicole Paquette, the group’s vice president of wildlife protection. “The two wolves left on the island are too inbred to successfully reproduce; it’s been heartbreaking to witness the harm that lack of genetic diversity has caused on Isle Royale.”

There wasn't a disruption of travel caused by recent climate change that resulted in a loss of ice bridges. The fact that moose and wolves were even able to make it to the island in the first place is extraordinarily remarkable. There has been speculation the moose could have made the journey by swimming. Moose are excellent swimmers. Maybe they were escaping wolves in Minnesota and they made the 14 mile crossing as a result. Wolves likely crossed over the ice, unlikely they swam that far. But either way the trek is not a likely one, even by ice that simply doesn't regularly freeze over each winter. And for this anti to suggest that climate change resulted in diminished ice bridges causing the wolves to lose genetic diversity is asinine. Isle Royale's location itself precludes genetic diversity. A small number of animals on both sides moose/wolves made it and climate change didn't slow that down. Isle Royale herself did that. They lived together on the island for many years. Mother Nature has spoken and the liberals don't like what she had to say. The moose adapted to living on the island and are still there, the shortcomings of the wolf prevented it's continued survival on the island.

The liberal wolf lovers can't accept that, the truth. So what you see now is their desperate attempt to legitimize interfering with a situation that was practically a miracle in the first place.

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
The anti Nicole Paquette wants you to believe it's heartbreaking to see nature take it's course with no intervention by man, none. The wolves and moose made it to the island on their own and this is how it played out. How is that heart breaking? Because the wolves didn't make it, that's how. What's heartbreaking is to watch these sell outs intervene after benefiting from this situation when it was unique. As if they haven't already done enough of that in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and the entire heartbreaking disaster they managed to pull off out West.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts