Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I had an issue with the dry fire inhibitor on my Tenpoint Stealth NXT and I am interested in hearing your thoughts about it. There was a situation that was my fault, but I needed the protection of the dry fire inhibitor and it let me down. I had a brand new string with (at most) ten shots through it. When it hit the DFI, the crossbow simply blew up, and there was just a serving thread behind the DFI. The cable pins were bent and I'm not sure what other damage occurred. It is currently at Tenpoint for assessment and repair. But now I am not confident that the DFI will keep me safe, or protect my equipment from major damage if a dry fire happens. Luckily I was not hurt, but I am going to worry now each and every time I use the crossbow. I love my Stealth NXT, but I think that their DFI is the worst piece of technology on the bow. I had a CAMX previously, and their dry fire inhibitor was far better -- without an arrow seated back in it, it would never release the string. Tenpoint's DFI actually allows you to fire, and then slams into the DFI pin. The Stealth is super powerful, and I think that they need to reevaluate their DFI for their more powerful models.

Since I am going to be less than confident about my Stealth, I am thinking of going with one of two Excalibur models: the Assassin 420 TD, or the Bulldog 440. I am leaning towards the Bulldog because it is loaded and $400 cheaper than the new Assassin. For me, the takedown feature is cool, but probably not worth the extra $400 for me, personally. Would both shoot very similarly, and have a similar amount of noise when shot? I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something between the two other than the takedown feature that would make it worth the extra money.

Thanks for your input and have an awesome day!

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Seems like some of the details are missing. Your bow fired without an arrow?

·
Regohio
Ten Point 505 with Garmin Xero
18,550 Posts
Steve...I think between Assassin and Bulldog biggest difference would be width and weight!

The Assassin is narrower the Bulldog is lighter.

All that said I have Assassin as it is whole package!

·
Registered
21,735 Posts
Are you saying the Ten Point has a string catch. In other words you dont load a arrow and it can still shoot.And the ADF catches the string. My Excal matrix bows had a string catch is what i called it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I was going to try to let it down with the acudraw pro, but I have pretty bad ADD, and this was at the end of the day. I forgot to pull the claw around to put it over the string, and when I pulled the trigger, it was like a standard dry fire where the DFI should have worked. I now know that I'm not supposed to do that, so I won't attempt that in the future, but I am still very worried about the dry fire inhibitor working in the future. I don't want to lose fingers or have to pay for repairs in the event that I do something accidental or stupid again. It could happen!

I think the new Bulldog is more of a "whole package" than the new Assassin in the default configuration. I would have to add things to the new Assassin in order to get certain features that come standard on the Bulldog.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Magic arrow: I am now fully aware that I'm not *supposed* to let it down with the crank, although I didn't know that when I attempted it. So I'm not looking for advice that tells me not to do it. ;) . I won't do that in the future, but I already tried, and the ADF failed me, or the string failed. Either way, that does not leave me quite confident in the equipment.

rt2bowhunter: Yes, I'm talking about what you described as a "string catch".

·
Registered
21,735 Posts
So if i understand. you forgot to put the sled or claw on the string. Switched to fire pulled the trigger and the bow fired. The string hit the ADF or catch cut the string and it dry fired.

Just a heads up and im not sure about the new excals. But mine had a ADF that was a string catch nothing more.

·
"GO BUCKS!!!"
6,729 Posts
I can tell you the Excalibur ADF works on the excalibur! hate to admit this but just the other day I was shooting my Excalibur 360 , for some reason I had a brain fart and forgot to load an arrow,
I took aim and shot , no arrow fired down to the target, I was like O CRAP. cocked it back and continue to shoot. all was good.
It happens

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Not condeming any one or any crossbow. When a crossbow explodes for what ever reason
it takes a person a while to regain their confidence, whether shooting that repaired crossbow
or a different on.

Thankfully you did not get hurt.
Thanks for sharing.

All the best.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I am sure at one time or anudder we have all had the readed DUH moment. So glad yer ok other than shook up over the malfunction. Jus get the crossbow fixed n while yer waitin do abit of research on the other Brand/s yer interested in. Why the 440 BD ? Is it the speed yer seekin ? Take time to read n think prior to yer choice.

·
WMU 3C
905 Posts
Assassin 420 TD
Bow Type
Active
MSRP
Velocity (Up To)
420 FPS
Cocking Effort (LB)
Draw Weight (LB)
Mass Weight (LB) Bow Only
Draw Length
18.875"
Width Cocked / Decocked
23.25" / 30"
Overall Length
33"-36"
Stock Type
TRU-FIT (TFS)
Product Code
E74047

BULLDOG 440
Bow Type
Active
MSRP
Speed
440 FPS
Cocking Effort
15 LB
Draw Weight
300 LB
Draw Length
19.5"
Width Cocked / Decocked
23" / 30"
Overall Length
35.75"
Weight
6.2 LB
Stock Type
Bullpup Ready Rest
Available Finishes
Black / Mossy Oak Break-Up Country
Product Code
E73586 / E73583

MATRIX Bulldog 380
Bow Type
Active
MSRP
Velocity
380 FPS
Cocking Effort
Draw Weight (LB)
Mass Weight (LB)
Arrow Length
Arrow Weight
min 350gr
Stock Type
Bullpup Ready Rest
Product#
E95859

Lots of good choices. If I was picking between the two bows you mentioned I would go with the Bulldog 440 and use the savings to buy custom arrows from Jerry at Tapp Nation. Do not overlook the Bulldog 380. With its price point you could save some money, get some custom arrows and a quality scope and have a lethal crossbow that will be basically maintenance free except for the string, and can be cocked and decocked by hand all day long. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
21,735 Posts
I can tell you the Excalibur ADF works on the excalibur! hate to admit this but just the other day I was shooting my Excalibur 360 , for some reason I had a brain fart and forgot to load an arrow,
I took aim and shot , no arrow fired down to the target, I was like O CRAP. cocked it back and continue to shoot. all was good.
It happens
I did the same thing shooting the 405. Forgot to load a arrow switched to fire and no arrow flew lol. The string catch ADF caught my string saving the bow. But in my case the 405 cut the serving and i had to reserve. But other than that all was good. It can happen.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I was talking with my buddy and forgot to load an arrow in my reaper. Pulled up on the target,pulled the trigger and nothing....
I turned to my buddy and said that’s why I buy good bows.....on some bows that would have been a thousand dollar mistake....

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I dry fired my Excal 350 LE one time and the ADF stopped it and there was no damage at all. In fact the same string is still on the bow today and it has been over a year since it happened. If your ADF cuts either the string or serving it probably needs to be polished as rough edges cause frays.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I was talking with my buddy and forgot to load an arrow in my reaper. Pulled up on the target,pulled the trigger and nothing....
I turned to my buddy and said that’s why I buy good bows.....on some bows that would have been a thousand dollar mistake....
I did that in a duhh moment with my DS 380. Same result. Nothing happened except I almost had a heart attack. The Scorpyd ADF is the real deal.

·
Registered
21,735 Posts
I dry fired my Excal 350 LE one time and the ADF stopped it and there was no damage at all. In fact the same string is still on the bow today and it has been over a year since it happened. If your ADF cuts either the string or serving it probably needs to be polished as rough edges cause frays.
I agree But you dont think about that before hand :).

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Steve, as we have talked via email, you had many factors going on and to blame the dfi is not valid or fair. You were letting the bow down with the Acudraw which it is not designed for and then you shot it as well. If the string flew into the dfi, as you say, then it also flew into the claw as well, putting a lot of force on that going in a direction it is not designed for. More than likely the string broke when it hit the claw, not the dfi.
We will evaluate the bow and likely fix it under warranty even though it was being used improperly. Our dfi is a time proven design when the bow is used properly. Use it incorrectly and thing go wrong. Give the bow a chance to do what it is design to do, and I think you will be pleased with it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Steve, as we have talked via email, you had many factors going on and to blame the dfi is not valid or fair. You were letting the bow down with the Acudraw which it is not designed for and then you shot it as well. If the string flew into the dfi, as you say, then it also flew into the claw as well, putting a lot of force on that going in a direction it is not designed for. More than likely the string broke when it hit the claw, not the dfi.
We will evaluate the bow and likely fix it under warranty even though it was being used improperly. Our dfi is a time proven design when the bow is used properly. Use it incorrectly and thing go wrong. Give the bow a chance to do what it is design to do, and I think you will be pleased with it.
Thanks for an update.
All the best.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.