Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a new set of pro-line strings put on my bow. Picked it up Saturday and had a chance to shoot it this morning. Shooting wwwaaaayyyyy low. Just to get my 20 yard pin in I Had to move my hogg-it hunter all the way down and my ripcord rest up so high that when the flipper is down it sits about 1/2 in above the riser. I don't think it's the peep as the pro-shop re-set it when I picked up the bow. Not sure what the issue is. Any idea's? One of the guys I was talking to at the range suggested maybe the string didn't get twisted right when it was put on, I've never heard of that before.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
well I would start by re -checking the nocking point. It maybe sat a hair to high or you may have been shooting it with it way to low in the past. Peep sight height will be the next thing. Nocking point could be perfect but is the peep is even a hair low you will see it way off down range. Anytime you replace a string and or cables you have to resight in. poundage may also be low due to the new strings cause low impact at your farther yards.

·
It's in da hole!
1,676 Posts
Check to make sure the bow is in spec.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
When they put your stuff back on (nock or loop, peep, etc) they probably did not get it back to the way you had it. Just reset everything and you should be good to go. Also, check to make sure they put the poundage back where you had it.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sure if this would even be an accurate measure but I took out my old string I got back and looked at the D-loop in relation to the peep and think the D-loop on the new string is too high.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
If so, arrow is coming out at a downward angle. It will hit low

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If so, arrow is coming out at a downward angle. It will hit low
Tried to push the D-loop down and that sucker is stuck good. Guess I'll just have to go with having my ripcord raised up higher like it is until I can get back up to the archery shop (it's a good 45 min away) to have them move it down.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would check the nocking point before you start forcing a loop down. Your measurement could also mean the peep is to low and will also make you shoot low.

·
It's in da hole!
1,676 Posts
If you feel you must move the D loop. Try twisting around the string instead of sliding. It should rotate around like a nut on a bolt.

If you can shoot it through paper and see what get. I dont live by the paper tune but it can be a good place to start.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Tried to push the D-loop down and that sucker is stuck good. Guess I'll just have to go with having my ripcord raised up higher like it is until I can get back up to the archery shop (it's a good 45 min away) to have them move it down.
Try spinning it around the string as you pull down.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After really messing with it last night I have it narrowed down to either d-loop to high(I think this is it) or bow out of spec after the string install. I called and chatted with Parker today and got the specs after work I'll be measuring and see where it's at. After some on the phone talking through it they also think it's out of spec or d-loop to high.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Never move the rest to get an impact you used to have. That won't help you one bit.

Start with cam orientation (or synch for a dual/hybrid). Then trim cam/idler lean. After this the only thing that matters is tuning it to good arrow flight. You will then need to set the peep height and start sighting in. This is the norm for any bow whenever the harnessing is changed.

·
Registered
13,855 Posts
When they put your stuff back on (nock or loop, peep, etc) they probably did not get it back to the way you had it. Just reset everything and you should be good to go. Also, check to make sure they put the poundage back where you had it.
Exactly...also make sure your rest is comming up all the way

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I'm wondering if the bow was in proper tune before you took it to the shop? If not, maybe they got everything all straightened out for you. Or maybe it was spot on and they messed it all up . . . . . I would take it back. If you have to lower your D loop then the peep is also going to be too high.

·
Socket Man
23,804 Posts
When you get a new string you have to:

1. Put bow to spec

2. Check timing

3. Shoot into blank bale. ie this is a good time to work on back tension while you are letting the strings settle in.

4. Start the tuning process to get good arrow flight

5. Put in peep, Sight in bow

You are trying to sight in a bow without doing the 4 steps that are required before that step which is going to cause you to waste weeks if not months of shooting. it takes a few days to do all this stuff but once you get the bow through steps 1-4 then you can concentrate on step 5.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One thing I didn't mention is there is now a loud slap. I didn't think much of it because the guy at the shop recommended a string stop (witch I didn't buy) because he said the new string is a higher quality and a little stiffer and would have some noise to it. I didnt think anything about it until the parker rep asked if there was a loud slap, suggesting that would mean out of spec after the string install. When i get home, if it is in spec, i will try to twist down the D-loop and go fron there. If i have no luck i may be making the 45 min drive out to the pro shop on Saturday.

·
Socket Man
23,804 Posts
Every modern bow on the market right now except a few target bows come with a string stopper because they work. You need to get a sts and get it on the bow before the tuning process so you don't waste time.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Every modern bow on the market right now except a few target bows come with a string stopper because they work. You need to get a sts and get it on the bow before the tuning process so you don't waste time.
. It's an older bow, 4-5 years old. Never had a string stop before. I will probably be getting one though considering the noise. The more I think about it I think it's the D-Loop. I had to raise the rest up so the arrow would sit level at full draw which means loop is too high.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts