Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I need some advice here. I have been wearing Kenetrek Mtn Extreme 400s for 4 years now. The first year I got a blister on my left foot after 5 days of hunting, brought them back to Scheels and they replaced them immediately. Since then I've had the same pair. I take care of them, I wear liner socks and this year ended up getting a huge blister on both heels during a 9 day elk hunt in Montana during early bow season. Anyone who was out there this year knows it was brutal (dry, hot, etc.). My feet were sweating like crazy and I developed the blisters after about day 3 or 4. I'm wondering is it the boots (the shape of the heel cup), my feet or is it the sweat causing all the friction between my heal and the back of the boot through the socks? They are excellent quality and when I started to blister during the 2010 season, the liner socks solved the problem. Now, I'm not so sure. There are a million options out there and Lowa just put a new boot this year, the Ticam GTX that looks really promising. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18,685 Posts
If they are broken in I would bet they do not fit quite right, hve you tried the body glide stuff? REI has it it is an anti chafe, i use it and it works very well, i had a couple hot spots when hiking hard but no blisters, this stuff stopped them.

Also I would think you tried it but try lacing them in a different way and see if you can lock down the heel, even try one of the gel heel inserts, thoses are expensive boots and it would suck not to use them.

I tried boots on for month before i found what I thought fit properly, I went with Asolo and have not had any blisters at all.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
new boot insoles?? might help? maybe not if its on heel

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I am convinced that different boots fit different feet differently. I have also heard that Kenetrek's fit a wide foot much better than a narrow foot.
I have a narrow foot and well........this is how my feet looked when I got home from my elk hunt........

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great feedback everyone, I really appreciate all the help. Mez - not once a year, but only during hunting season and this was the first time I'd worn them for the year.

Lien 2 - Yeah that's pretty much what mine looked like. I'm starting the think the same way about feet and fit.

Booner/Dtrkyman - I'll look into those inserts/gel/etc. Kenetreks are expensive and great quality and it would TOTALLY suck to not use them. There's no selling them either, they are beat up.

Thankss again everyone. A good buddy of mine went Asolo this year as well, before his elk hunt. Hopefully I don't have to do that. I've got some things to try out and if you think of anything else let me know.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
I am convinced that different boots fit different feet differently. I have also heard that Kenetrek's fit a wide foot much better than a narrow foot.
I have a narrow foot and well........this is how my feet looked when I got home from my elk hunt........

Okay, that makes my feet hurt. Damn.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,392 Posts
Next year.....throw some duct tape or moleskin on your heels, put on your liner and boot socks, and go hunt.

·
Emily's DAD
4,459 Posts

Thats nasty.... dang!

·
Prestige Archery Strings
3,347 Posts
What size shoe do u usually wear and what size kenetrek did u get? I work for Scheels and am very familiar with the kenetreks. I have a pair myself and wear them everyday. One thing I noticed with the boots is they stretch a considerable amount after the break in period is over. Mine fit very loose after that and what I did was put a superfeet insole in it to take alittle room up inside the boot and they feel Amazing now. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again everyone. Boilermaker - I'll give that a shot. Anything is cheaper then replacing the boots as long as they work for my feet.

·
Registered
906 Posts
not sure how to help with fit problem but I have an old pair of marrell chameleon 3 shoes that got wet and muddy then left outside to dry so they shrunk and got stiff and now they rub the hell out of my heels. Hadn't worn them in a while but they are my only shoe so I have put probly twenty miles or more on them since bow season started including a 4 mile in/ 4 mile out (8 total plus hiking to hunting spots) backpack hunting trip. I started electrical taping my heels and any other friction spots and I carry the roll in my pack. Had sticky black stuff on my heels since Oct 15 but my feet aren't blistered anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts