Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 3 1/2 months my LH Bengal arrived today. Actually I wasn't expecting it for another week or two so I was estatic. Ok, I've had everything to completely set it up for quite awhile so I got busy. Mind you, I'm 48 and this is my very first compound! I used to shoot a bear recurve back in my youth but this is totally new territory. Due to injuries of the past my shoulders are trashed so I ordered a 60#. After installing everything except loop and peep, I then proceded to adjust the draw wt. I figured being 6'3" at 275 and also a rather strong man I thought I would start around 53-55#. WRONG! I back the limbs off three whole turns which I figured to be around 54#. I could pull her back but my shoulders were cracking, grinding, and cursing at me until the cam rolled over. I went another full turn and now I'm around 51#. Ok, I'm thinking I'm an old wuss but will eventually build the proper muscles over time. After serving my nocks and tying my d-loop I shot the first arrow and was totally amazed at the amount of noise and shock it Didn't have! After some more shoulder cursing I backed the limbs off another half turn. I'm pathetic or what? After shooting another 20 shots I was just to wooped to go on. I want to get at least another 25 in before I serve in the peep. Oh and by the way, I also cut and built my first arrows today. I'm just pumped. I want to thank Archery Talk and everyones contributions to all the "How To" threads. Setting up my new bow was a breeze. And yes, ATA, brace ht, and tiller are all dead nuts on! Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Pics? ;)

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Good for you on setting her up on your own!:shade: As for the draw weight... don't even worry about it. if your having fun that's all that matters. Take it down to 45 if you can get more shooting in. You'll be able to add lbs in a week or two, just do it slowly and have fun.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yep, you'll build up your shooting muscles quick.When I started I couldn't do 10 shots at 50 lbs even though I'm a pretty big guy.A couple months later i was shooting for hours at a time and at higher pounds.Just don't force it and it will come.Also, you're right.Learning to do it all yourself is almost as fun as the shooting!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! Yea I had a blast setting her up. I figured I'm as smart as the next guy, just less knowledgable. Plus when I need repairs you can't beat being your own pro shop.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
man, you can be a bear, but if you dont shoot a bow, you will discover muscels you never knew you had. great to hear you got it, i saw keystone finally has a couple lefty;s in stock, and i nearly drooled on my laptop. good luck with it, those bengals are awesome bows. youll be amazed at how strong you will get, and how fast it will go. in 2-3 weeks, youll be man handleing it. good luck and enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts