Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have an arrow flight mystery.

I'm getting a little left to right movement of the fletching end of my arrows when they first take flight. They correct quickly and all enter the target at the same angle of impact. But it's bothering the heck out of me! I was getting serious vane contact with blazers on my QAD HD Pro but I recently switched to 3" Duravanes (3D) and solved that problem.*

OK, so here's what I'm fairly certain is not the problem...

- Rest Contact (*See Above)
- Cable Contact
- Bad Nocks (Brand New CX Maxima 350s)
- Bad Fletching (The kick consistently happens to all of my sticks and I'm no pro but I don't think I misfletched 12 arrows)
- Tuning (I'm still shooting decent groups considering I'm healing from a shoulder impingement and shooting for the first time in 3.5 weeks)

So, help me out and help me diagnose this problem! Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
At first it sounds to me like a little torque in your grip.

Try playing with a few other ways to grip your bow (moving your hand a bit and shooting a few arrows when your hand is at different points on the grip)

It may be a simple case of finding a better way to grip your bow that does not torque your bow as much.

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,387 Posts
I'm no wiz, but I would look at underspined arrow or "slightly" missaligned centershot. Could be other things too.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What color are your vanes?
Well, they're blue and green with matching green wraps. I'm really curious as to how this might come into play.

Thats what I was thinking
I'm no wiz, but I would look at underspined arrow or "slightly" missaligned centershot. Could be other things too.
Really? I have a 28 1/2" draw length and pull 70#. And a Maxima 350 would be underspined? If so, should I try more weight up front to fix it?

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,387 Posts
Well, they're blue and green with matching green wraps. I'm really curious as to how this might come into play.

Really? I have a 28 1/2" draw length and pull 70#. And a Maxima 350 would be underspined? If so, should I try more weight up front to fix it?
I don't know if you're shooting the correct spine or not. I was implying that one of the results of an arrow that leaves the bow that way would be weak spine. Also, more weight upfront will make your spine even weaker.

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,396 Posts

You would have to try a lighter tip like a 85 gr the 125 grs will make it weaker

·
eyes and arrows
3,682 Posts
you can't tell if it is tuned because it is hitting the same place. you can get a horribly tuned bow to shoot great groups, just doesnt do it consistently.

sounds to me like you need to spend some time working on walkback and paper tuning. that is all there is to it.

Joe

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
I would guess that you either need to do more tuning or maybe you shoulder injury is effecting your grip/form in some way.

·
A Man for All Seasons
2,713 Posts
you can't tell if it is tuned because it is hitting the same place. you can get a horribly tuned bow to shoot great groups, just doesnt do it consistently.

sounds to me like you need to spend some time working on walkback and paper tuning. that is all there is to it.

Joe
squeekie has my vote too. tuning is probably off and in a horse race I would suspect the centershot is off to the same direction the tails kick out on.
good luck.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Two questions

1. Does your current fletching have marks on it or warped vanes?
2. describe your grip?

If your not holding the bow with the death grip and your arrow fletching is fine then the nod goes to east to west misalignment of your rest. It sounds to me like you already had problems with your rest or you never would be having problems with your old fletching???

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
Maxima 350 are enough spine im having the same problem im starting to think its a slight torque on the grip
that's exactly what it sounds like to me too!

·
elecshoc
683 Posts
I guess I should have explained a little further. It sounds like all your vanes are the same so this wouldn't apply.

I've seen on more than a few occasions what seems to be an off arrow out of my bow. Something very similar to what your describing. Well I know my setup is tuned since I bareshaft then walk back tuned it to death it seems.

Well my fletchings are colored two blue and one white. Well the wobble that I thought I was seeing is actually an optical illusion caused by the different color vanes.

I was able to verify this by having a friend stand behind me off the side and check. He was seeing the arrow fly straight while I was seeing a wobble.

I then double checked by paper tuning at a couple of different distances which turned out fine also.

I know this probably doesn't help, but that's the reason behind the question.

:darkbeer:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts