Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five years ago, I asked my club to let me shoot 3Ds club shoots with a rangefinder.

I just wanted to shoot 3Ds, but no one wanted to shoot marked yardages which kept me out of 3D game from the start of 3Ds back in the 80s.

I offered to shoot last, pay the full fee, not be able to compete, not post my scores, shoot alone, and then they came back with a rangefinder's division for men and women. WOW!

Then the local archery shop put on a shoot a couple of years later and offer a rangefinder's division, again for men and women.

Two years ago, our fellow 3D club for the very first time, offered a rangefinder's division for men and women.

This year, a 3D club in Colorado offered a competitive and non-competitive rangefinder's class, which I attended.

I never thought I would see a Colorado 3D club offer a rangefinder's division, so I asked them why did they changed their minds and they said, " Most of the sight shooter in our club use rangefinders during their hunt, and we thought, Why not have a rangefinder's class? "

I just asked the New Mexico Archery organization here if they would consider a rangefinder's class and was told they have had a non-competitive rangefinder's class for the past two years and were considering starting a competitve rangefinder's class for next year.

Rangefinders are happening folks!!!:wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
last year I started a thread on rangefinders in 3-D shoots. It was a close vote, but more archers voted yes to it than no.

It would help 3-D growth and bring more money into the clubs. The small club shoots are the roots of all archery organizations when going to national or world levels. A rangefinder division is a win win no-brainer for bringing in more shooters.

In the past four years I have shot around ten 3-D shoots. I like 3-D but don't like spending a lot of time guessing yardage. Like most bowhunters I have a rangefinder for that. Many new bowhunters that try 3-D get discouraged after their first shoot and never come back. Some of the others see they need a new $600 bow and $200 worth of arrows just to have a fair chance in 3-D. Many bowhunters find that shooting around 250fps arrow speed shoots better, quieter with less equipment breakdowns.

Over the past 40 years I have shot archery I have seen a lot happen in it. One thing that sticks out is without meeting the changing demands of archers the growth stops, then drops off. PAA is a prime example of this. NFAA didn't allow compound bows at first but seen the demand and fallowed it. FITA started compound divisions and grew.

Just my 3 cents worth

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
What's next? Orange spots?

How does an orginization police this? I could see an occasional marked yardage course where everybody gets a sheet or marked stakes and rangefinders are allowed for all shooters like the new ASA day two marked yardage course. Other than that possession of rangefinders should remain a disqualifier IMO.

That said, a good 3Der is better than the average rangefinder at yardage accuracy. The good ones get within a half a yard v the two yards (+or- one) accuracy of a rangefinder.

Rick

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I use a Rangefinder only to check and see if I'm somewhat accurate. I guess the yardage then range it and am either pretty dead on or atleast wiyh in a couple yards. this keeps me in tune for hunting seasons...
I never turn in a score at a 3-D :confused: I also always just shoot to stay in practice and have no real use for Non-Game throphies...:zip:

·
Registered
858 Posts
It only stands to reason, you range different areas in your shooting lanes on a hunt so you are on the money, why not in 3D? I think rangefinders in 3D is a great idea!! Even at that you still gotta make the shot!:wink:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree!

3DZapper said:

How does an orginization police this? I could see an occasional marked yardage course where everybody gets a sheet or marked stakes and rangefinders are allowed for all shooters like the new ASA day two marked yardage course. Other than that possession of rangefinders should remain a disqualifier IMO.

That said, a good 3Der is better than the average rangefinder at yardage accuracy. The good ones get within a half a yard v the two yards (+or- one) accuracy of a rangefinder.

Rick
I agree with everything you say!

Here, we have a rangefinders division that goes out after everyone else is in the field.

After four years and four clubs providing a rangefinders class, no complaints and no problems as long as the club follows that format.

Here, also, the archers shooting un-marked yardages still outscore our rangefinder's division and they are now wondering, " What were we worried about anyway? "

They found out we are just archers who want to know the yardage, shoot 3Ds, and nothing more.:wink:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Rangeing and 3D; Oh Man!

I agree, you change to match growing demand or stagnate, but still I feel I'm going to be ill !!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Wow,how cool.
Next year we'll be able to rock on down there with our rifles.
We'll still call it archery of course,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can hardly wait:pukey:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey, I'm gonna start a division that takes tape measures --

to the shoots. Yep, you measure off the distance yourself - much more accurate than a rangefinder - yep!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
This should be set up as a "hunter" class division......"honestly" you guy's can't tell me that you don't use a range finder when hunting. This class goes out after all other shooters, like was said in a previous post. I really don't see the problem with this.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hunter's Division

HOYT34 said:
This should be set up as a "hunter" class division......"honestly" you guy's can't tell me that you don't use a range finder when hunting. This class goes out after all other shooters, like was said in a previous post. I really don't see the problem with this.
The last 3D shoot I went to in Pagosa Springs Colorado sponsered by the Pagosa Springs Bow Club, they had a division just like you described.

It was called a competitive rangefinders class allowing only pins and the short stablizer and should have been re-named the hunter's class.

I shot in the non-competitive rangefinder's class allowing freestyle equipment and the club members told me they are considering a competitive division for my class next year.

It's a good idea!:thumbs_up

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree that it is a good idea. The only thing is though these shooters should probably not be joined with the other classes. I can see problems there.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree!

HOYT34 said:
I agree that it is a good idea. The only thing is though these shooters should probably not be joined with the other classes. I can see problems there.
Yes!

That would be a problem and defeat the purpose of the rangefinder's class.

The organizers should schedule the rangefinder's class to go to the field last and here in the Four Corner's area organizers are doing just that, which is why the rangefinder's class is working for us here.:wink:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
3DZapper said:

Rick
We already have orange spots showing up on the west coast per NFAA. It makes for a different shoot.

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
Whats all the fuss about?? I thought we were talking about ARCHERY here. If you dont like the format, find another shoot. I don't care what it is. I have a rangefinder. I can and will shoot spots, field, 3D, lawn darts, whatever. I just love to shoot.

Why can't we all just get along?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
"We already have orange spots showing up on the west coast per NFAA. It makes for a different shoot. "

:rip: :pukey: :mg: :eek: :confused: :zip:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Orange spots!

3DZapper said:
"We already have orange spots showing up on the west coast per NFAA. It makes for a different shoot. "

:rip: :pukey: :mg: :eek: :confused: :zip:
You know,

I have shot dots and spots all of my Field archery carrer and I loved the change by shooting the spotless animal round, but

then there was the NFAA vote to put spots on the animal targets and there went my spotless animals, so now I am shooting 3Ds because they have no spots and I am loving it.

I just don't think I would ever like the orange spots on the 3Ds and I hope no one ever votes on putting spots on 3Ds here, but I would like to go to the Crooked Horn shoot in California, even with orange spots because they put on a great shoot from all accounts I've heard.

I loved spotless animals!!:wink:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts