Archery Talk Forum banner

Its here!!!!

1428 Views 49 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  X Hunter
Well not quite for me but field season is rapidly approaching cant wait to get outside and away from 3 and 5 spots!!!!

Shooting indoors on these bright sunny warm days feels like a sin

Indoors is deffinatly a game to help your outdoor game but is it me or does Outdoor season just seem more "fun" actually walking through the woods and not by the fireplace or propane heater, even if it's the same range the scenery is always slightly different than the time before, Seeing all the Critters run through the woods, the sound of "Brown Hornet Brown Hornet Brown Hornet" echoing through the air... Crazy goat stories by the camper... Not to mention hot days and cold beverages waiting back at the camper.. And with Nationals so close to home this year I've been chomping at the bit to sling some tiny arrows a long ways..

People its FIELD SAESON!!!:banana::hello2::jam:
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
Know what you mean buddy!!! Got the new Hensley Custom strings installed on Lizard #2 Saturday morning and spent nearly the entire day shooting it, as well as a few hours Sunday afternoon.

Also got another Black Eagle scope coming to me in the mail. AND a "new release". :wink: So it's going to be interesting.

I started the indoor season with a little disdain, but must say I've had a good time indoors, but now I'm ready for the ticks, skeeters, spiders and other creepy crawlers of the woods including Brown Hornets.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Yep, we are getting a few 'teaser days' where the weather is warm...and thoughts of shooting outdoors dance through our heads. Problem is, those nice days are few...so far. :angry:

· Registered
4,587 Posts
I think part of it is the fact that etiquette requires that you not disturb shooters indoors. When you get outside, it seems as though all bets are off. You get to have fun and be a little more outspoken.

I am REALLY looking forward to the Mar.28 shoot at DCWC. I wanna get my new arrows out and give them a test spin. See how they do.

· Registered
568 Posts
:thumbs_up the warm days have the adrenaline flowing, I got outside and shoot for about 3 hours the other day but the wind has been keeping me inside since then. I have forgotten about indoors already, bring on the heat.
Terry:darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer:

· Registered
8,807 Posts
I have 8 days until the official change over. Right now my team is in first at our indoor league so we have to stay with the indoor mentality for the championship shoot off next Thursday. But I guarentee after that sixxtyth arrow flies "The GREEN HORNET" is coming directly home for an arrow slimming makeover.
I've been out in the yard several times in the past week shooting the 65cm face with my indoor arrows, and a circle on my lens as big as the pro ring.
My field arrows have been laying on the end table looking dredfully sad just waiting for me to take them outside to play.

· Registered
1,825 Posts
Oh jeez, we feel REAL sorry for you Florida archers. :rolleyes: I guess if the thermometer dips below 60 degrees the shoot will get cancelled, right? :wink:
As the thaw begins the critters that have been sleeping thru the WInter begin to stir. Hi Jerry glad to see that you have awaken from your winter nap:wink: Now how about pulling out your bow and start stretching.

· Registered
2,380 Posts
We are planning on getting things rolling quickly here in NC.
Spoke to Treaton last night. We were planning a hooky day shoot for Friday out at the MooTel Range, but sorry to say it looks like it is going to rain.
Treaton said he is going to kick off the NC outdoor season at the Moo Tel Saturday March 21. Followed by DCWC on Saturday March 28.

Ole jarlicker has been busy tweeking out DCWC again. I am pleased to announce we have full carpet bails on 27 out of 28 field targets. No more matts to struggle with. I am in the middle of putting in a brand new 14 target animal round range. treaton is going to bring me the rubber panels for the butts on the 28th. That range should be open the following weekend.

Lets see dcwc has 27 carpet bails on the range. Each one averages 2500 - 3000 square feet of carpet in it. So there is about 65000 - 75000 square feet of carpet out on the range. Plus seven more on the practice range with about 2000 square feet of carpet in them. 14000 -15000 there.
Then there are 4 - 60''square by 2 foot thick rag bail butts on the practice range with two heaping pick up trucks worth of rag materials in each.

Soon to have 60 - 42 x 48 rubber sheet panels in place out there.

That is a hell of a lot of material to stick a dambed arrow into dont you think.

Not counting the near 300 4 x4 posts that are being used out there.

So lets shoot em

· Registered
8,807 Posts
Spoke to Treaton last night. We were planning a hooky day shoot for Friday out at the MooTel Range, but sorry to say it looks like it is going to rain.
Treaton said he is going to kick off the NC outdoor season at the Moo Tel Saturday March 21. Followed by DCWC on Saturday March 28.

Ole jarlicker has been busy tweeking out DCWC again. I am pleased to announce we have full carpet bails on 27 out of 28 field targets. No more matts to struggle with. I am in the middle of putting in a brand new 14 target animal round range. treaton is going to bring me the rubber panels for the butts on the 28th. That range should be open the following weekend.

Lets see dcwc has 27 carpet bails on the range. Each one averages 2500 - 3000 square feet of carpet in it. So there is about 65000 - 75000 square feet of carpet out on the range. Plus seven more on the practice range with about 2000 square feet of carpet in them. 14000 -15000 there.
Then there are 4 - 60''square by 2 foot thick rag bail butts on the practice range with two heaping pick up trucks worth of rag materials in each.

That is a hell of a lot of material to stick a dambed arrow into dont you think.

So lets shoot em

Throw all that material in some trucks and head north I'll help you shoot em:wink:

This is the only time of the year that I wished I lived a little further south. But the heat down there the rest of the year would kill me

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep field season gets kicked off here in VA in 2 sundays a Walton Park bowhunters and the following sunday a Blackwater Bowhunters.... Got to get the Navs tuned up fast and be ready in just a few days!!!!! Cant wait Especisally once my shootin buddy gets all healed up and then we can really tear up the VA NC field scheudle!!!!

· Registered
2,359 Posts
Oh jeez, we feel REAL sorry for you Florida archers. :rolleyes: I guess if the thermometer dips below 60 degrees the shoot will get cancelled, right? :wink:
PHP:
no, no, not at all.. just a 2 hr weather delay... !

heheheheehe

:tongue:

· Registered
3,221 Posts
As the thaw begins the critters that have been sleeping thru the WInter begin to stir. Hi Jerry glad to see that you have awaken from your winter nap:wink: Now how about pulling out your bow and start stretching.
I'm working on it Ed. Starting to get interested. Now...if I could just stay home long enough so I can shoot. :mad:

· Registered
8,033 Posts
I bet my damn Pro Tours wouldn't go through them!!! Little suckers!!!:wink:

So lets shoot em

· Registered
772 Posts
I'm workin' on it.:eek: Got my cast off and the doc says I'm healin' up just fine. 2 and 1/2 weeks post carpal tunnel release surgery and I pulled my bow back for the first time today....no pain but much apprehension. :D Got to drop some weight

Ordered some 40-50 lb limbs for my Apex today and got some lite weight arrows coming.....I'm hoping to be up and going for the first Blackwater Shoot......I'll go till pain tells me to stop.

Yep field season gets kicked off here in VA in 2 sundays a Walton Park bowhunters and the following sunday a Blackwater Bowhunters.... Got to get the Navs tuned up fast and be ready in just a few days!!!!! Cant wait Especisally once my shootin buddy gets all healed up and then we can really tear up the VA NC field scheudle!!!!

· Registered
2,122 Posts
You guys need to come to PA and bring some of that warm weather along. If it's nice, I'm at work. When I'm home it's either windy, cold, raining, dark, or I'm sleeping!! I'll be sure to turn up the heat and humidity in July for all of ya's!! I'm ready to get outdoors and shoot though.

· Registered
2,380 Posts
The Protours and Nanos are the true test for a field target. The 24' inch deep carpet bails are a thing of beauty. No issues. Easy pulling every time.

Caddilac all the way.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.