Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of arguing lately over different things, a number of which have been gear choices. While working on a new hybrid I began to think, there's more to our gear selections than JUST what's "better" over all. For example, I shoot hybrid longbows mostly. They're fast, stable, and reliable, but I don't feel they're any more so than a recurve, and certainly not as fast or stable as an ILF recurve with a metal riser and Olypmic performance. I shoot the hybrids because I can build them myself fairly easily. Unlike a recurve, they are more economical for me and less prone to twisting damage. I can also then make and sell them to others for a very reasonable price because they are easier for me to make. I sacrifice a few yards of accurate range for what would amount to either a week's more work in the shop making my own or a week's pay working on a roof to pay for one from a manufacturer. I switched over from using selfbows exculsively because of the amount of time it takes to make the bow: a selfbow can take over a month to make a nice one, where as a hybrid bow can be built in under a week and is a modest investment in materials. So I shoot the best performing bow that is easiest for me to get quickly.

For arrows, I use footed carbons, even though they are not as forgiving, for me, as aluminum have been. I like the lighter physical weight for speed (arrows are now at 520 gr. and spine around 75#), as well as the fact they last longer than aluminums had. In terms of cost, hard wood dowel arrows had been my arrows of choice for years but the massive investment of time proved more than the amount of time it would take me to make the money to pay for more consistent aluminum or wood arrows. However, in small numbers I still like making them for selfbows. The time and cost to make a set of six to nine arrows is so low that wood is the best option for my self bows.

For quivers, I recently picked up a strap on Boa and like it a lot, especially for the stand I'll be trying this year. However, I still like the back quiver because I wind up hunting for squirrels more often than just deer, and around here the brush isn't too thick to make it an issue. As well, I prefer hunting on the ground.

For hunting I like to hunt off the ground because I'm not as comfortable up in a tree with my hands occupied with a bow, and I like sneaking around the woods. It worked before I knew how to shoot properly and would like to get at least one good shot presentation now that I do know how to shoot.

I like two blade broadheads because they're easier to pull from a back quiver. That, and there's a lot of varieties to choose from.

I shoot split finger with a tab because I don't feel comfortable three under and I can cut a tab from scraps in twenty minutes.

Obviously most of my choices aren't really bent on getting the "best" but just what's best in my situation. How about all of you? Why do you like or use what you do?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I agree with you and think most of these questions are asked legitimately but they are really "open" questions and personal choice issues. There is no best and with like most everything in life a pro can pretty much pick up any bow and shoot the same with it. The talent is in the archer not the gear.

·
Registered
76,754 Posts
Well as far as personal choice and equipment goes, as for arguing, I think it is pointless to argue about what someone else wants to shoot. For killing, it is shot placement... a sharpened stick would do the job there if placed right... so two blade, three blade, 4 blade, five... the choice is yours since you're alive....

As for equipment.... same same.... On the other hand, I like to argue, but your choice isn't worth arguing... and for you to argue what I use... although it's funny to read peoples comment when I say I'd shoot an any kind of game bird on the ground.... I don't know... maybe the difference between "sport hunting" and "hunting!"... :grin:

What I like about hearing about what others use is the diversity of equipment choices and some of the modifications some make to make the hunt more economical, useful, or efficient.

As for more than that, I agree. I try to use the simplest form of anything I can just to challenge myself.... Others choose equipment choices to make life easier for them.... or even to improve their shooting skills.... sights, scopes, rangefinders, and lighted nocks... maybe not something for me, but it might be just the ticket for you.

Aloha... :cool::beer:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I shoot recurve bows very accurately and have for the last 47 years. I prefer shooting aluminum arrows because they are what I started with and have given me no problems when tuning them. I also prefer a back/side quiver like a GFA quiver. When it comes to broadheads, either a 2 or 3 blade broadhead is my preference.

·
Banned
7,677 Posts
I shoot a Trad Tech Pinnacle Recurve with the extreme BF Limbs - and it is a great shooting bow for me - but there is no huge difference in the performance between this bow and my Black Widow or my Martin Dreamcatcher - they all shot arrows within a few fps of each other.

What I like about it is that I can adjust the tiller and the pre-load to my individual draw length and style of shooting. I can also shoot a lighter arrow and thereby get a more flat shooting arrow from it without excessive noise or voiding any warrenty.

I shoot carbon arrows because they are strong and consistent and in the long run - save me money over wood or even alloy. I used to shoot barrell tapered woods, dipped and crested them, etc... and also dipped and crested my carbons - but not anymore - I would rather spend my time shooting than making pretty arrows - I just got tired of it.

I have also seen hybrid or reflex/deflex longbows that shoot as fast as any recurve out there - and they have handles that are identicle to recurves - so the idea that a modern longbow is somehow inferior in performance to a recurve can really be taken with a grain of salt today.

Bottom line - shoot what you like and shoot often.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have never been hung up on what I use as compared to anyone else.....I try to use what works for me....and me only...I can never understand the "what's the best" threads.....what is best for me is probably not for anyone else....

As far as equipment....depends on how I am hunting.....and what I feel like using....

When i am hunting from my climbing stand...I shoot my 58" Schafer or my 56" Anneewakee Addiction with a quiver attached, and carbon arrows...easier to hoist up into the tree....and usually wear commercial camo....don't know why, but I just do....

When I am ground pounding, or scout hunting.....I tend to carry either my Foley longbow or my Sheepeater Spirit. I shoot wood arrows out of both, just because they fly well and I like shooting them in these bows..nothing magical, or karma, or mojo....just the way I do it...I sometimes wear plaid or earth tone shorts and cargo pants, it is still camo to me....any attempt at hiding or trying not to be seen is using camo, whatever it may be.....when ground hunting I carry my arrows in a side quiver....easier to get through things with that on....and sometimes i even simplify more by carrying one arrow in a solo stalker tied to one of the limbs on my bow....with all gear i need either in the cargo pockets or a fanny pack....

I tend to use two blade broadheads, nothing fancy like single bevel, or expensive...either magnus or zwickey...they have worked fine for me in the past, so I see no reason to use anything else.....

I used to get caught up in what everyone thought about my gear, and such...but as I get older I am only concerned with what works for me.....I hunt alone...and prefer it that way...

I love reading posts about what people use...maybe there is something I haven't tried..and can learn from...but as far as gear...it is so individual i tend to shy away from the what is best posts.....

Whatever anyone uses this year...good luck, enjoy the hunt, and please post dead critter pics...cause I enjoy looking at them! My season starts the 17th, and can't wait to get to it! Time is too short on this planet to worry about the small stuff! See ya in the woods, but don't get too close to me! LOL!

Lee

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I hunt with Pinnacle II riser, with carbon Masters Longbow limbs. I like bow mounted quiver, with woodsman heads.

Hunt safe everyone!

·
Registered
76,754 Posts
Martin Longbows are my first choice always here at home, had been my Quillan takedown away (air travel) but now next gonna try the Dorado... 45#.

Aloha.. :cool::beer:

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
I like shooting bows that are suited for their purpose. You wouldn't frame a house with a finishing hammer, different tools for different uses.

For 3D/Field/Indoor/Outdoor I've got a Bernardini Nilo with some Border TXB 30# limbs and I just picked-up a set of Hoyt FX 36# for working up the weight on that bow. Its definitely not a practical bow for hunting: the riser is heavy, my plunger/rest combo has a post-shot vibration which is fairly loud and its Ferrari red! But it holds rock solid and it is absolutely dead in the hand, I don't mean in the general sense that it has little/no vibration; I mean you can shoot a 8gpp arrow without holding onto it and it won't leave your hand.

On the other hand I like my hunting bows simple. One piece recurves, R/D longbows with small risers and especially selfbows in the 45-60lbs range. Carbon or wood arrows with either Zwicky or Magnus heads, sometimes a trade-point for the heavier selfbows. 9-11gpp arrows to keep things quiet (although I'm playing around with 8GPP on my recurve this year) and 4-5" helical feathers. Light to carry and functional, nothing fancy.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I feel inferior because I can't add to this with any certainty ... coz I can never decide !!!

Mostly I'll use a Belcher/Sky union Jack 52# @ my draw and 66" long . It flings woodies and AD Trad Lites beautifully [ and nothing flies better than 2016's]... these are often tipped with plain ol' Ace 160's or Ribtek 190's which either get carried in may favourite back quiver made by Nate Steen or in a bow quiver ... or as is more common now my Safarituff Arrowmaster

or

I'll be carrying my ILF 'curve 50# @ my draw .... flinging needle like carbons tipped with VPA's ..... and this bow has sight pins and stabiliser ....

Or

I chase rabbits and foxes and rove away with my ELB and heavy ash shafts.....

I can never decide !

At heart though I think I prefer my straight limb Union Jacks and Hills and a bunch of cheap parallel woodies in my back quiver for a day on small game , stumps and just goofing around with archery equipment.

I wish I'd pick just one ... but then I'd miss out on all the fun ~

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I like anything that oozes quality. Performance is part of it, but beauty, fit/finish, and that difficult to define characteristic that makes me say ooohhh. It might be my one of the recurves that I have decided I don't want to part with (Blacktail, Dye, Wallace), or my UltraElite that hangs unused but highly regarded on my wall. I like the precision of my ACC arrows, but no more than the woodies I make, crest, and finish myself. I prefer and have some wool, but like the convenience and utility of fleece and poly-pro. Hope I never have to give up my Garmin GPS, or my brass compass. Everything is a compromise and new certainly does not imply better, but I have zero loyalty to "tradition".

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is great, keep it coming everyone! When I started this thread I think I was really jsut hoping to get lots of folks talking about what they shoot and why they like it so much (as some of you already mentioned, it's fun hearing about what everyone else is playing with). Thanks for the great input everyone :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Ok, Kegan here goes, I'll probably hunt with my 80# warf with 660gr footed axis 300's in WV if it happens this year, and will also be hunting with my 1st Elk bow it's 70#'s and likes footed axis 340's, both setups with be sporting some tanto'd 2 blade snuffers, they are 1 1/2" wide and fly great too, so they should do pretty well, providing I do my part. I've been enjoying quality practice time daily too since I jumped back up in weight, so I feel I'm as ready as I've ever been. I just love shooting these bows too, it makes me feel whole again, when I shoot it's just me and the arrow, the bow is just an extention of my arm, and when I loose that first arrow, the troubles of the day fly away with it, hopefully I'll seal the deal on a whitetail this year, but if I don't...That's ok too.....

·
Registered
20,579 Posts
Kegan -

I dunno, I wish folks would be more interested in their shooting rather than what they shoot. For most of us, the odds are, the "what" really doesn't make that much of a difference, passed the esthetics (within reason, of course...)

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The Bow is a 21 inch Das Dalaa with Dryad Epic recurve limbs in a long - [email protected] - this set up is as quiet as anything I have ever shot.

bow.jpg

I went with the Epic limbs instead of my ACS long bow limbs based on length more than anything - both set are longs making a 66 inch bow but, the radical curve of the epic limb makes for a physically shorter bow.

6 inch Doinker stab - if you haven't tried a small stab on your Dalaa try it you will like it and extra 5 or 6 oz on the bottom just makes it so much sweeter.

Quiver is a Alpine soft lock 3 arrow a couple of my buddies are sponsored by Alpine and spoke highly of it. I have been shooting the bow with it on and loaded for 2 weeks and I love it. Totally silent and makes the bow quieter and more stable.

qiv-1.jpg qiv-2.jpg

The mounting system keeps the arrows nice and close to the hand and is simple to use - easy one handed reattachment while on the move. no more fumbling with the quiver as you try to move your elk set up.

My arrows are Carbon express Maxima blues 250's with 200 Razorcaps on the front of them. This set up gives me 10.5 GPP and 20% FOC - broadheads and field points group right together out to 40 yards.

Not real "TRAD" but it drives tacks and I like it.

Now if it would just cool down and the Elk would start talking.

Matt

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,201 Posts
This is great, keep it coming everyone! When I started this thread I think I was really jsut hoping to get lots of folks talking about what they shoot and why they like it so much (as some of you already mentioned, it's fun hearing about what everyone else is playing with). Thanks for the great input everyone :)
First I will start by saying that I really like your approach to archery and your website. Maybe someday I will be calling about a bow, provided you can make one long enough for my 32 1/2 inch AMO draw length. As a target shooter, I would want it long and smooth.

I agree with the "using the right tool for the job" theory along with the "got to do it 'cause it is different and fun"
Most of my shooting is FITA barebow using either a Best Moon, Best Zenit or Bernardini Nilo, and an assortment of limbs, depending on the discipline. Outdoors, where I shoot standard FITA to 90 meters, it is the Moon with Border HEX5 limbs.

Now for fun (and future competion, since I cannot resist), I shoot Samick SLB longbows (30 and 35 pounds) and am just starting out with Pyramid bows. My first attempt to make a Pyramid bow was unsuccessful, but I have a better plan for number two, and also have one on order from Thebowandarrow.com. Getting a real long one made so that I do not bust it with my long draw length. I am really starting to like the longbow with wood arrows. It has taken some time, but I am starting to get the hang of it now. They are such easy bows to carry around and a joy to shoot compared to a heavy FITA barebow (loaded with weights).

Rounding things out, I also shoot compound finger bows, barebow style. I shoot old eBay bows that generally cost under $100 to buy (Economical Archer !!!). This is also for a change of pace; one tournament a year.

Us FITA barebow guys are sorta tweeners. We do not really fit in with the regular FITA guys with full Olympic rigs, and our equipment is a bit high tech for traditional. But we do not use sights, and that is the common ground with traditional. When I took up the longbow I wanted something completely different, which is why I only shoot single piece bows with wood arrows. I guess that provides me a bit larger intersection with the traditional folks in the Venn diagram of archery.

If I hunted, I think I would go lethal injection. 'Course it takes a lot of skill to get that close to the animal.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,201 Posts
Kegan -

I dunno, I wish folks would be more interested in their shooting rather than what they shoot. For most of us, the odds are, the "what" really doesn't make that much of a difference, passed the esthetics (within reason, of course...)

Viper1 out.
There is serious shooting and shooting for fun. My FITA barebows are for serious shooting; my pyramid self bow is to see if I can shoot a homemade bow with my long draw length and not have the bow explode and put my eye out (almost happened with an English longbow). My longbow used to be to see if I could put an arrow in the middle of the target of the person shooting next to me. Now I am putting arrows in the middle of my target. It's pretty cool when you finally start to get it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Started hunting with a compound for deer and elk 25 years ago. Change to traditional 20 years ago off and on, indoors and outdoors. No more big game hunting but still love to hunt rabbits, squirels, and my favorite of all, grouse. Hunted with Martin TD 65# recurve (sold), Ben Pearson TD 45# antique (still have) and Black widow 55# TD recurve (sold). Now I hunt with a hand made 30# and 45# longbow (unknow boyer), my old 45# BP, Martin 15# X-100 (for my son). When I don't hunt, I shoot indoors with an ILF
recurve (40-45# 62" Excel + black max) to keep my form intack.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Kegan -

Viper1 out.
I found the big breakthrough came when I went down in draw weight, started shooting higher volume and could get a really good tune. Since then its been a small but noticeable progression with a bow built specifically for my use.
If the NFAA Trad rules allowed screw-in weights (like WA rules for 3D/Field) I don't think I would have bought the Nilo, but the Winstar 2 I was shooting before was just too top-heavy to shoot well bare.

Before I was introduced to how efficient modern ILF bows were I wouldn't have believed that I could compete in unknown distance shoots with so little draw-weight. Making the bow as easy to shoot as possible let me really concentrate on the rest of the game, which is all of the battle.

-Grant

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Well...I like talking about the "whats" folks shoot...since I really like seeing all of the cool set ups folks have..

Myself...I have a Hunter Supreme that Earl Hoyt built for me many years ago..and have the same Alpine 3 arrow soft loc quiver on it that Matt Potter has ...The bow balances well enough..I don't need a stabilizer on it..but have had a limb saver x-coil on it before with out the quiver...When I had my Hoyt Alpha Burner earlier this year..it was highly recommended to me..and I found with it's construction it does help quite noisy bows down..and when I traded it..I just put it on my EH recurve..The Hoyt doesn't need extra on it to quite it down...it's just there for convenience... I also have a ILF Dryad riser coming next month..it will have a set of TT Black Max Carbons on it..For my long bow..it's a Scorpion built by MR Hamilton..with inlaid scrimshaw by noted wildlife artist Tom High..It's a sweet shooter too..I am looking at getting one of the 2 tone strap on Boa's for my Dryad...I really like how they look..

I've used a Neet Super Palm split finger tab since they came out..and just recently bought one of the Black Widow Super Stic gloves with the nylon tips on it...and really like it a-lot.. I tried for 1 month straight to shoot 3 under...and gap shoot and I even bought one of the better tabs to do it...but just don't like the feel of it..I'm so ingrained on shooting split with a certain weight arrow..changing things around screwed me up royally..and has taken me a couple weeks to get back where I was before..

I've never liked being up in a tree stand..even though I know you have better luck on going undetected..To me...there is no thrill in having a deer amble by and shooting it..none..so I hunt from the ground and use what ever cover and blow downs I can find..I spot & stalk 98% of the time..and sit and glass the other 2% To see and stalk a deer and then make a clean kill is where the thrill is to me..and worth the cost of not "filling my tag" every year hunting this way..

I have used a Wyandotte back quiver for years...and when using broadheads (3 blade) I just cut and put a 2" thick piece of ethofoam in the bottom to hold the heads apart...works like a charm for field points to btw...but I do love the simplicity of the attached bow quiver..which allows me to take my back pack along for all of my other essentials..when I need it on extended hunts..

I'm also back to using aluminums now...the carbons haven't given me the durability I am used to..and have 0 confidence in them..Roving and stump shooting is a every day part of my life...I shoot rain or shine..cold or hot..even if it's just 10-20 arrows shot...To me..it's like playing golf...I have to go through the motions with my equipment every day..to keep my mental images of what I am doing..

I am trying some new broadheads this year...the Nap razor cuts..and like how they fly and how damn sharp they are out of the box...

Hopefully I can find someone who will put some snake skins on my E.Hoyt limbs for me...cause it's time to snazz it up some...and really like how they look on them..I'll be sending the riser in somewhere..and having it dipped in ASAT camo..and then getting some of those deer antler knobs for it as well...It may all be a vanity thing...but I can't help it. My gear has to not only function perfectly...but look the part too..I have learned to appreciate how things look over time..and the work that goes into them as well..It's not only to impress others of what I have..but for my own personal satisfaction..

I've always shot heavier weight bows..and never had any issue with my accuracy...even shooting in the few local tournaments I have shot and won...but..I really don't like all the BS that always goes along with them...way too much politics for me

Mac

1 - 20 of 35 Posts