Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you can barely walk, you can barely see, you can barely draw your bow. The Senior classes were made up to give old farts a break. But the old and decrepit who still want to seriously compete register as Adult. AND kick butt over guys 30 years younger, and that's not fair because we didn't register "Age appropriate." We're getting in the way. Our mere presence prevents others from making a claim to being "The Best" with barely mediocre scores.

And THAT is what being a Senior amounts to today.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So it may be that some of us register as adults. Just because we are seniors doesn't mean we are not adults. At 69 i still think a lot like i did as a teenager. That is not to say that i act like one though. Being an old fart in this sport can be frustrating or rewarding. This past weekend i shot in the badger state games. In my line there were maybe two or three adults and me. The rest were either cubs or young adults. I was thrilled to see that i could shoot against the younger crowd and in many cases surpass their scores. The other big thing i saw was the fact that they were able to get to the targets before me. Oh well, just the price we all eventually have to pay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We are competing in the age of the participation ribbon. When I went to my Grandparents all of the cousins and I would play games with Grandpa. Grandma gave him hell because he did not let us win. If you did win against Grandpa you knew you accomplished something. Many heated chinese checkers games and some tears, but if you won, you knew you had accomplished something. Competition still lights that fire in me, whether you are 8 or 80 or somewhere in between. If you beat me or lose you know you got the best I had on that day. That's not harsh, that is reality.

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
The days of my perfect or near perfect scores are for the most part gone & I'm ok with that. Now, that being said, when I go to a 3-D (we go for fun) with my son & 2 of my older G-sons (18-21) it is family competition at it's best. Who is everyone out to beat?? Yep, ME as my PAST achievements have made me the one.. I reserve NFAA Field & Target rounds for my real competition by class. We definitely have fun at 3-Ds . Since I have been in archery starting 62 years now (bought my 1st real bow & joined a club in 1956) I am way ahead of them on GOOD Excuses for explaining a miss..

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
We are competing in the age of the participation ribbon. When I went to my Grandparents all of the cousins and I would play games with Grandpa. Grandma gave him hell because he did not let us win. If you did win against Grandpa you knew you accomplished something. Many heated chinese checkers games and some tears, but if you won, you knew you had accomplished something. Competition still lights that fire in me, whether you are 8 or 80 or somewhere in between. If you beat me or lose you know you got the best I had on that day. That's not harsh, that is reality.
I too am very competitive in nature. My wife would always scold me for not letting my kids win. Even when they were very little. I tried at times, but just could not do it. If you beat me, then YOU beat me, not because I let you. It does sound harsh, but now a days, they get REAL satisfaction out of beating me! LOL Even if playing a board game, if they come in 2nd or 3rd, that is ok as long as they beat me.

·
THE BAR Bartender
21,269 Posts
true competition makes you better, business or sport.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
View attachment 6419475

Here are (l to r) my two sons, a dear friend and me (32, 41, 65 and 68 respectively) shooting together in a local 3D tournament. We all shoot 3D on an equal basis, climb into deer stands and drag our game out of the woods. I was blessed 14 years ago to have had eye surgery that replaced my natural lenses with multi-focals that give me 20/20 vision to this day. I doubt I could shinny up mountains like I could 30 years ago, but God has allowed me to enjoy what I love to do so far. He is awesome!

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
45er. Our 3-Ds are similar as is our hunting. Blessed for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts