Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of how many bowhunters on these hunting shows have draw lengths that appear to be from 1" to 2" too long!!

I suppose if a person has learned bad shooting form well enough they can "learn" how to shoot with too long of a draw length.

Simply amazing.

There was one guy who's nock was almost touching his ear!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I shoot a bow thats about 2 inches too long in draw length. Its an old hoyt that cant be adjusted. Sometimes i hit where i aim sometimes not. Hopefully i can save up some money to get a new bow that fits me.

·
Banned
771 Posts
BowtechArch said:
You're kiddin'...right?

Sometime you've got to shoot what you've got and, though not ideal, you can learn to shoot it well. I remember as a starving college student shooting a PSE Nova that was about 1 1/2" too long for me.....guess what? I couldn't afford anything else so I shot it and shot it pretty well.

Now those guys on the shows can't use that excuse but the average Joe Shmoo sure can in certain circumstances...

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I have been told that most people shoot too much poundage and too long of a drw length. Must be a macho thing???

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
You mean like the "pro" in the Bowtech commercial? (the really stupid one with the crotch rocket, and the evaporating deer target)

·
Registered
784 Posts
That used to be the key to arrow speed for a lot of hunters. Modern engineering has created more speed but the bad habits live on...

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Does it really matter? If they can shoot they can shoot. Not achery , but Larry Bird shot the B Ball with his entire body twisted..........Not picture perfect but he was successfull. Jack Nicholus had the famous "flying elbow" which broke all the rules of a textbook golfswing.........He did OK too.

One more: First it's whining about "pro or TV" hunters not being any good. Then it's they all have "guaranteed" hunts, NOW it's a question as to whether or not their equipment fits them. Geez !!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
BowtechArch said:
You're kiddin'...right?
No kidding. I bouth the bow fully rigged from my brother for $200. It only has one set draw length and i have to make with due. Since i am a college student i really cant afford a new bow with proper draw length right now. Maybe i will grow a little bit more and my DL will expand.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Of how many bowhunters on these hunting shows have draw lengths that appear to be from 1" to 2" too long!!
the key word there is appear. I can make my draw length look long or short just buy changing my anchor position. You can too, put a kisser button on your string. slide the kisser down to the arrow knock draw and place the kisser in the cornor of your mouth, take a picture. Next slide the kisser up the string about 2 inches, then draw and put the kisser in the cornnor of your mouth again, take another picture, the second one the arrow knock will be back on your face about an inch making the draw length appear long but in reality the only thing that changed was kisser location on the string and anchor position.

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
old Graybeard said:
I have been told that most people shoot too much poundage and too long of a drw length. Must be a macho thing???
No it is a weeny thing.... Draw length and weight are directly proportional to ones manhood size.....:eek: :wink:

That is what I was always told back in my retail days anyways :)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I noticed the same thing last night...apex of the string in the middle of the cheek instead of the corner of the mouth and the arrow nock way behind their eye instead of under it. I have also seen way too many bad or marginal shots made and I can imagine that they never show the lousy shots made on deer that are never recovered. Very few of these hunters are into target archery which is more likely to cause a shooter to develop better form based on correctly fitted equipment. It's kind of like the 5' 4" skinny little guy that comes in the shop for a new hunting rig and insists he need an 80 lb., 30 inch draw bow. This guy will never be a consistant hunting archer.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Correct draw length, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. If a guy anchors at his ear (I know it's rediculous) but does so every single time with the same form and has difficulty anchoring at his cheek, corner of his mouth, etc., who is to say his draw length is too long? If he shoots accurately and consistently and at his best then he is not wrong. I think most pros will tell you that your correct draw length, depending upon where you anchor, can vary as much as 1 to 2 inches on most guys. I will concede though, with proper form, there is an optimal draw length to which each archer could become accustomed.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
It is what ever you get comfortable with. My draw length is about a half inch too long but it is comfortable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts