1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crossbow bills resurrected in state Legislature

Staff Report

Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:14 AM CDT
Albany - Legislation that would legalize hunting with a crossbow has resurfaced in Albany and will almost assuredly rekindle the debate over the state's longstanding prohibition on crossbow use.

Previous legislative attempts to allow crossbow use in some form have died natural deaths in Albany, and it's unclear whether the newest efforts will gain traction.

And at this point, virtually no legislation is progressing as lawmakers focus on putting a state budget in place and dealing with the state's massive financial crisis.

But legislation proposed this session would legalize the crossbow in New York and leave decisions on when the weapons could be used and by whom in the hands of DEC officials.

Among the bills offered include:

� S307, introduced by Sen. George Maziarz, R-Newfane.

� A924A, introduced by Assemblywoman Francine DelMonte, D-Lewiston, a companion bill to the Maziarz proposal.

� S6973, introduced by Sen. David Valesky, D-Oneida.

� A00740 and A7100A, both introduced by Assemblywoman Aileen Gunther, D-Forestburgh, which would allow crossbow use for those with physical disabilities.

� S2204A, introduced by Sen. Dale Volker, R-Depew.

� S2943, introduced by Sen. Michael Nozzolio, R-Fayette, which would allow crossbow use by hunters with physical disabilities.

Most of the bills are proposals reintroduced from last year's legislative session. Those bills never moved out of the Assembly and Senate environmental conservation committees.

Whether they will in this legislative session remains to be seen, but some sporting groups - notably the Western New York Chapter of Safari Club International - are pushing a letter-writing campaign to state lawmakers appealing for passage of crossbow legislation.

Support for crossbow use seems to be strongest in western New York, where some hunters visit Ohio to hunt with a crossbow in that state, which has a popular crossbow season for deer.

The Safari Club's form letter pushing for crossbow approval points to the DelMonte and Valesky bills, and notes that New York is one of just two states in the U.S. (Oregon is the other) which don't allow crossbows for hunting under any conditions, including for the physically challenged.

The letter touts lifting the crossbow prohibition as a way of "getting more hunters out into the woods, helping to reduce car/deer collisions, helping to reduce farmer crop damages, etc."

Maziarz and DelMonte, in their legislative proposals, point to other states such as Ohio and Georgia where crossbows "appear to be an important recruitment and retention tool for hunters. Many people start out hunting with crossbows and eventually switch to longbows or compound bows."

The western New York lawmakers also said other states have not seen an impact whitetail numbers or an increase in poaching incidents as a result of allowing crossbows, and that the weapons "create hunting opportunities for people with disabilities and those who cannot use a longbow or compound bow."

New York's DEC has taken a position that favors allowing crossbows for hunters with physical disabilities that prevent them from using traditional archery equipment.

"I think it would be fair to say the department would consider any viable bill that would provide crossbow hunting opportunity," DEC_Chief Wildlife Biologist John Major said. "But what DEC put forward a couple years ago would limit (crossbow use) to seniors and people with disabilities. Other crossbow advocates would go further than that."

New York Bowhunters, Inc., the statewide archery group with about 3,000-4,000 members, has been unwavering in its opposition to allowing crossbows.

"New York Bowhunters is opposed to the use of any weapon, other than those bows drawn, held and released by hand in any archery season or archery only area," the group's Web site states.

·
Vendor
5,694 Posts
""New York Bowhunters is opposed to the use of any weapon, other than those bows drawn, held and released by hand in any archery season or archery only area," "

Fine...then everysingle one of them can throw away their release and shoot with their fingers..Hypocrites...:thumbs_do

Wyvern

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
""New York Bowhunters is opposed to the use of any weapon, other than those bows drawn, held and released by hand in any archery season or archery only area," "

Fine...then everysingle one of them can throw away their release and shoot with their fingers..Hypocrites...:thumbs_do

Wyvern
a low down slimy group that is very bad for hunting in NY state...

·
Hucklebuck’s
13,991 Posts

Wyvern
Agreed!:darkbeer:
first I have never been a supporter of crossbow and until last year I was against them I still think 50% are gun hunters that hate bow season however my bow will out shoot all but some elite crossbows so no great advantage there
however I also believe that the war is hunters against antihunters so if crossbow increase our numbers then so be it I would rather hunt next to a guy with an xbow than not hunt at all
So just let them in already.

next as for new york bowhunters they gain 1000 members a year yet their numbers never go up so what does that tell you like you already said slimy

Don't take my debate wrong I say let the xbow in but
now for those who say that I am way off about the 50% of xbow guys being gun hunters that hate bow season well answer this I have made this proposal over and over yet not 1 xbow guy wants it :noidea:

first proposal

give xbow their own season let it be even before bow 2 weeks common answer no no it must be with bow season :noidea: this would deff increase money to hunting and increase oppertunity I would buy a xbow for that season I hunt every season I can.

2nd proposal split season 2weeks bow 2 weeks xbow 2 weeks mixed that would be 6 weeks instead of the current 4 week bow season and both bow and xbow would have 4 weeks those who invested in xbow and bow would get 6 weeks surely this would be a big numbers boost money boost and opertunity boost but again the answer is always no no no
so dihard xbow shoters explain this to me

again I will say hunters stick together and fight the good fight don't fight with in so if we get xbow during bow so be it

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first I have never been a supporter of crossbow and until last year I was against them I still think 50% are gun hunters that hate bow season however my bow will out shoot all but some elite crossbows so no great advantage there
however I also believe that the war is hunters against antihunters so if crossbow increase our numbers then so be it I would rather hunt next to a guy with an xbow than not hunt at all
So just let them in already.

next as for new york bowhunters they gain 1000 members a year yet their numbers never go up so what does that tell you like you already said slimy

Don't take my debate wrong I say let the xbow in but
now for those who say that I am way off about the 50% of xbow guys being gun hunters that hate bow season well answer this I have made this proposal over and over yet not 1 xbow guy wants it :noidea:

first proposal

give xbow their own season let it be even before bow 2 weeks common answer no no it must be with bow season :noidea: this would deff increase money to hunting and increase oppertunity I would buy a xbow for that season I hunt every season I can.

2nd proposal split season 2weeks bow 2 weeks xbow 2 weeks mixed that would be 6 weeks instead of the current 4 week bow season and both bow and xbow would have 4 weeks those who invested in xbow and bow would get 6 weeks surely this would be a big numbers boost money boost and opertunity boost but again the answer is always no no no
so dihard xbow shoters explain this to me

again I will say hunters stick together and fight the good fight don't fight with in so if we get xbow during bow so be it
proposal #2 sounds like something i would have no problem with.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
bigbuck

Hats off to you for at least getting part of it right;) and if you live long enough you'll likely change your mind on the parts you have wrong (splitting seasons that would require some folks shooting arrows to hunt at a different time from other folks shooting arrows:eek:)

Think about it, for a minute, like this...........if you can:

If a guy goes and buys his first compound vertical bow (for example) to hunt with, he's likely to be a convert from gun hunting. Do you complain about that? If not, why do you complain about a person buying a crossbow for the first time to hunt with, even if he was a gun hunter prior to that? So you will likely say the numbers are higher for crossbow hunters, right? So where would you arbitrarily put the number that would be acceptable to you?

If there ever was a time that we need all the hunters we can get to help preserve the sport we love, NOW is the time.

I just find it amazing that vertical bowhunters, especially the ones using every crutch and gadget known to mankind to increase their chances of success (kill), have a problem with a bowhunter that chooses a different method of shooting an arrow for bowhunting, especially when we consider that crossbows are much simpler without all the gadgets and crutches to be efficient.

As an older bowhunter (took my first deer with a $29.00 recurve in 1963), I chalk the anti crossbow mentality up to greed, plain and simple, not wanting anyone else in "your" hunting season and in "your" woods.

The fact that I also hunt with muzzle loaders, rifles and handguns in addition to crossbows, in no way make me any less of a hunter................and doesn't:)

Crossbows have a rich history that dates back a "zillion":p years, unlike the 38year old mechanical compound.

·
Hucklebuck’s
13,991 Posts
Hats off to you for at least getting part of it right;) and if you live long enough you'll likely change your mind on the parts you have wrong (splitting seasons that would require some folks shooting arrows to hunt at a different time from other folks shooting arrows:eek:)

Think about it, for a minute, like this...........if you can:

If a guy goes and buys his first compound vertical bow (for example) to hunt with, he's likely to be a convert from gun hunting. Do you complain about that? If not, why do you complain about a person buying a crossbow for the first time to hunt with, even if he was a gun hunter prior to that? So you will likely say the numbers are higher for crossbow hunters, right? So where would you arbitrarily put the number that would be acceptable to you?

If there ever was a time that we need all the hunters we can get to help preserve the sport we love, NOW is the time.

I just find it amazing that vertical bowhunters, especially the ones using every crutch and gadget known to mankind to increase their chances of success (kill), have a problem with a bowhunter that chooses a different method of shooting an arrow for bowhunting, especially when we consider that crossbows are much simpler without all the gadgets and crutches to be efficient.

As an older bowhunter (took my first deer with a $29.00 recurve in 1963), I chalk the anti crossbow mentality up to greed, plain and simple, not wanting anyone else in "your" hunting season and in "your" woods.

The fact that I also hunt with muzzle loaders, rifles and handguns in addition to crossbows, in no way make me any less of a hunter................and doesn't:)

Crossbows have a rich history that dates back a "zillion":p years, unlike the 38year old mechanical compound.
like I said I huint with everything I can and usualy a few different states I was brought up in a hunting family and a time where everyone belonged to camps most when I started had no bowhunting rules even my dads camp wich I still belong to so I bowhunted elsewere and most guys who strictly gun hunt in this area are not opposed to bowhunting just the bow season and they see xbow as a way to get into the woods during bow season and they think they can shoot it just like a gun and won't have to practice. now I have listen and heard every argument about the topic not all area's are the same as here. I actualy planed to xbow hunt in pa for somthing new to do but funding stopped me. now i will never xbow hunt here in ny even if it passes ( I do believe it should pass for the greater good) unless i can no longer pull my bow. unless there was a seperate season. but again my proposal number 2 is as win win as you can get and that can't be argued it would increase the season by 2 weeks

i also hunt with all of these

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
With 4,000 members ... I have a hard time imagining that all 4,000 are "low down & slimy." I shoot verticals. I belong to the leading archery club in my state. They/We've done a ton of good for archery, bow hunting and hunting in general in the state. "They" have an anti-crossbow policy at this time. I know plenty of others in this club who embrace crossbows. I think you paint with too wide a brush brother. In my opinion ... you might be better attacking the policy you dislike, but don't alienate the membership who are either sympathetic to inclusion or neutral. Statements attacking people are "galvanizing." :smile:

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With 4,000 members ... I have a hard time imagining that all 4,000 are "low down & slimy." I shoot verticals. I belong to the leading archery club in my state. They/We've done a ton of good for archery, bow hunting and hunting in general in the state. "They" have an anti-crossbow policy at this time. I know plenty of others in this club who embrace crossbows. I think you paint with too wide a brush brother. In my opinion ... you might be better attacking the policy you dislike, but don't alienate the membership who are either sympathetic to inclusion or neutral. Statements attacking people are "galvanizing." :smile:
oh i'm sorry, let me reprase that terrible statement,
the New York Bowhunters inc is a low down slimy group that is very bad for hunting in NY state...:smile:

oh and the membership is nowhere near 4000, haa,haa!

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
oh i'm sorry, let me reprase that terrible statement,
the New York Bowhunters inc is a low down slimy group that is very bad for hunting in NY state...:smile:

oh and the membership is nowhere near 4000, haa,haa!
I like that better ... LOL What I've seen, big clubs are often steered by a relatively small group of 30 to 60 individuals. They're the vocal, opinionated "control" types. They do a ton of work and are very dedicated, but they want things to go as THEY think they should go. (which I guess is fairly expected) In some cases, over time, you can get some pretty radically opinionated people in control of that small group and hence the club. With some "low down slimy" policy decisions ... not unlike your low down slimy politicians. Comes to a point where the 60 think the club is theirs and they keep a pretty tight circle so very little balancing opinions or ideas make it into that core group. THAT's where the ship can go off course. When some opposition is voiced on the group's policy, the complainer is blown off or "put in their place." Sort of like our politicians are doing with the 86% of Americans that want our southern border closed or the 78% of Americans who are angry about Judeo-Christian values being trashed and attacked in our Congress & courts. :D :smile:

·
Registered
607 Posts
This is kinda off subject BUT the state of South Carlonia took care of this.
When their Deer season come in 8/15-12/30 ?? its DEER season.... Shoot what you bring........gun / bow / ????

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
they own the deer. they dont want more people shooting crossbows at their deer period.
You hit the nail square on the head with that one!!! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Legalize it, create a season for it in January, charge an additional $30 for the tag and watch the Conservation Fund move in to the black. I know i'd be in line

1 - 17 of 17 Posts