Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why? Shot 4 groups and this one hits 6 inches higher that the others at 72yds. Also shot it at 50 and it was 4in higher.

Im shooting FMJs and holding the tip down vertically it seems to spin fine. What are some reasons for this?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
try spinning your nock in small increments and shoot it after every adjustment and see if you can find a sweet spot where it groups.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If it is not bent in any way then I would have to look at he fletchings to make sure they are not contacting anything and if they are ok I would have to assume that there is some kind of defect with the arrow. I would probably set that one aside for varments or something, good luck

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Is this with field points or braodheads?

1. Check grain weight against the other arrows
2. Check to ensure your running the same point weight
3. Check for straightness
4. Check for fletching contact
5. Replace nock (may be slightly bent or something)
6. Check for proper insert alignment (the fmj HIT inserts are pretty foolproof however)
7. Check to make sure the insert end of the arrow is square
8. If it still does not group with the others, try rotating the nock in small increments to try and get the arrow to fall inline with your groups.

If you still can't get it to group, throw a judo on and use it forsquab hunting or stump shooting:D

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Do all the checks and adjustments mentioned and if it still acts this way then put it through the arrow cut-off saw.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this with field points or braodheads?

1. Check grain weight against the other arrows
2. Check to ensure your running the same point weight
3. Check for straightness
4. Check for fletching contact
5. Replace nock (may be slightly bent or something)
6. Check for proper insert alignment (the fmj HIT inserts are pretty foolproof however)
7. Check to make sure the insert end of the arrow is square
8. If it still does not group with the others, try rotating the nock in small increments to try and get the arrow to fall inline with your groups.

If you still can't get it to group, throw a judo on and use it forsquab hunting or stump shooting:D
Field point. 2in blazers.

As far as rotating the nock. I shoot cock vane up because of my QAD. How do i fix that if im rotating the nock?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts

As far as rotating the nock. I shoot cock vane up because of my QAD. How do i fix that if im rotating the nock?
If everything is set up perfectly you shouldn't have any contact no matter which direction the cock vane is. If it ends up being your nock, just refletch the arrow

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
It may not have anything to do with nock position! Change the nock completely and see what happens!

·
Registered
827 Posts
I've seen that before with a hairline split at the nock end of the shaft.
Replace the nock and see if it comes out easier than usual.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts

cock vane orientation has nothing to do with how your arrow releases from the string. If your point is the same weight as the others and rotating/replacing the nock does nothing.....chalk it up to bad luck and chunk it. It happens....NOT OFTEN with arrows in this price range....but it does happen. I know it sucks at 10 bucks a bare shaft but thems the breaks :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts