Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am constantly finding gear in the classified section that has been fired less than a hundred times. Do people really give up on their new purchases that quickly? This is less than one practice session worth of shooting.

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
I am constantly finding gear in the classified section that has been fired less than a hundred times. Do people really give up on their new purchases that quickly? This is less than one practice session worth of shooting.
I dunno, but I bought a used Hoyt GM rig off eBay and there were no marks on the riser pockets, the paint was still in all of the threads, and no wear marks on the limbs. The bow might have been strung a few times--maybe--but certainly not used...'course, the riser was subtlety warped and had to be sent to Hoyt, but I doubt the seller even knew what alignment is let alone whether the riser was warped.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Why not? Especially true for those who're very biased towards what they like (could be colour, feel, etc.) or those who've been shooting with a certain kind of equipment for many years and just can't get used to something else.

Another reason could be them coming across something better or which they've wanted all along at a good price.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
i have bought and sold stuff many times here and elsewhere but usually because i see a good deal(buy) for something i want or need......or i want to upgrade or just change color(sell)......there were 2 instances however that i bought and sold something i never even got to use...a brand new gold medalist cuz the color was not what i expected(grey instead of black) and a martin aurora riser which felt just too heavy the moment i handled it....luckily i was able to sell the GM locally for a higher price than what i paid for and i traded the aurora for something i still have up to now...my red x-factor!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Its not an uncommon thing. In the shop I work at I get tons of customers who buy a new bow and I never see again (and I tell everyone after they have shot it 500-700 times they need to bring it back for a tune up cause cables and strings settle and you will throw off timing and tune), or buy a bow and I see them a year later with their bow in unshot condition and they want me to tune it up, cause they can't hit what their aiming at--when I ask them are you practicing...they say "No" which usually results in me looking at the timing and then giving them a lesson on how to shoot again cause they seem to forget to stop grabing the bow or anchoring the draw hand. I just can't drop a grand on something and not use the holy crap out of it...never can understand those who don't either...its like they are saying "I have some money to blow and I want to try this out...but I am going to buy the best equipment I can even though I really don't have the time to shoot." My absolute fav's are the guys who tell me "I am going to use this for about 2 weeks a year but I want the best." I see dollar signs regretably (can you blame me), sad thing is those guys wouldn't be able to tell the differance from a 400 package bow to a 1500 fully set up top of the line bow, but I can so I give them the best.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hank,

The answer is probably as complicated as the most complex thing on this planet.....human beings.

There are people (me) that will use things to years e.g. 22 year old TV, 12 year old cars with 200,000 miles, a bow that I have shoot thousands of times etc. Then there are people that want the lastest whatever. You name it e.g. tools, TV, car, bow.
I have a friend that bought a Win&Win bow i.e. riser, two sets of limbs, bow case, arrows, sight etc. off ebay. I set the bow up for him and inspected the equipment. It all looked like new! Hard to know why someone would sell new equipment and buy more new equipment.

Again there are folks that are affluent (or think they are affluent) and apparently think nothing of buying latest you name it. More power to them. I think that is great. But that doesn't work for me.

ScarletArrows;
When I was in sales we were JOKING about a customer asking; How much is that? Our question to the customer; How much money do you have to spend? I certainly would not feel bad about helping a customer spend as much money he or she could afford. Think positively it helps the economy and sustains the sport.

Regards and Good Shooting

·
NFAA
2,624 Posts
You can get some pretty solid deals on near new equipment with the ability to flip it if it doesn't work out for you. Kind of nice if you just want to try something, but not pay the full price....

The classic is a Carter Evolution....You need to work long and hard to get it to work for you, but most give up in about.....100 shots!

SB

·
Registered
287 Posts
Come to think of it: I have an unused rig. It's my spare bow. Just got it out to tune and that's about it (this posting reminds me to retune it) . Althou it's incomplete (no stabilizers) it's a nice feeling to have a good spare.
Many serious archers have a lot of spare parts around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts